UFC Discussion
Sep 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #541 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liddell is like a hero of the past UFC generation, far too one dimensional skill set to compete with current "total package" fighters like Anderson Silva, GSP etc who now dominate UFC, the stand-up only style could work a few years ago but not today..........now that money is good for UFC fighters Liddell wants his share but unless he can become more multi dimensional he won't compete with the best

I have read Liddell talking smack about Kimbo Slice, perhaps he is setting up a future fight.........next up for Elite XC's Kimbo Slice is Ken Shamrock (aka world's most dangerous man)
biggrin.gif

How about Brock Lesnar vs Kimbo Slice ?
That would be more manageable for Brock than Couture, not sure what Brock's contract says about fights outside UFC

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #542 of 584
I want to see Brock vs Kimbo big time. I think Ken Shamrock is going to get his world rocked. I think Kimbo's a horible fighter, but he has heavy hands and I have a strong feeling Shamrock's going to get KO'd. Same with Lidell. =[

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #543 of 584
Quote:

Liddell is like a hero of the past UFC generation, far too one dimensional skill set to compete with current "total package" fighters like Anderson Silva, GSP etc who now dominate UFC, the stand-up only style could work a few years ago but not today..........now that money is good for UFC fighters Liddell wants his share but unless he can become more multi dimensional he won't compete with the best

This is exactly what I thought too. The situation might not be so different from say Tank Abbot. Now I think chuck liddell is better than tank abbot, but their styles are both based only around punching... just different generations...

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #544 of 584
Now, I'm by no means a UFC follower at all, I know **** about the rules, the fighters out there etc etc (though I could get into it!). However, caught the footage of that Liddel's knockout and man did he get clocked! Surely the, pretty much, bare knuckle style of UFC makes it highly dangerous! A punch like that could be highly damaging I'd imagine!

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #545 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly what I thought too. The situation might not be so different from say Tank Abbot. Now I think chuck liddell is better than tank abbot, but their styles are both based only around punching... just different generations...

I don't think you can compare Tank Abbott to Chuck Liddell.

I'm with you in thinking that Liddell is old hat now & needs to improve in order to continue in the sport but lumping him in the same category as Abbott is a bit harsh.

Tank was popular because you were guaranteed a slug fest. He wasn't actually that accomplished of a fighter. If you look at his record he has lost more fights than he was won. Chuck on the other hand has taken his one dimension above & beyond the norm & actually won & sustained a title (albeit not for very long) upon it.

I'm not the biggest Chuck fan but I do appreciate his talent. Not just of swinging that overhand right but mainly the way he keeps the fight standing. He may not have the best ground game but its worked for him not having it with his ability to just stand up (most of the time) when someone does get him to the ground.

I think the light heavyweight category is slightly lacking ATM & needs some more skill injected into it. Lets see if Rich Franklin can bring some of it after coming back to 205...

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #546 of 584
Quote:

How about Brock Lesnar vs Kimbo Slice ?
That would be more manageable for Brock than Couture, not sure what Brock's contract says about fights outside UFC

Where do you live, so I may come there and slay you for uttering those words
tongue_smile.gif

I don't ever wish to see Kimbo Slice in an MMA fight ever again, let alone against Brock. That fight is absolutely no contest whatsoever. Kimbo Slice is a joke and an insult to every MMA fan across the world, and has made a mockery of EliteXC (not that they needed Slice to accomplish this, but still...).

The fight against Couture intrigues me quite a bit. On the one hand, I can easily see Couture make a fool of Brock. On the other, I could see Brock sitting on top of Couture for 5 rounds. I'm not sure there is a man in MMA right now not called Fedor that can prevent a Lesnar takedown, and Couture has never struck me as being versed enough to tap Lesnar out. Interesting fight indeed...we'll just have to wait and see in 2 months.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #547 of 584
Kimbo would certainly be more manageable for Brock, if by manageable you mean manhandled. Kimbo would get dominated that whole fight, it would likely resemble the Heath herring fight, only even worse.

As for the couture fight, I'm looking forward to seeing it, at least to me, Brock seems to have the potential if nothing else to get the title and have a Tim Silvia type hold on it, simply because he's that much bigger then anyone else. That is if he quickly learns how to not get submitted, which he showed to be vastly better at against Heath then Mir (then again, Mir is the better of the 2 with submissions)

as far as fighting the top few guys in the Heavyweight division, I think stylistically, Couture is probably the best matchup for Brock, Brock at least has the power to push Couture around and prevent him from "imposing his will" on Brock, where I think Mir or Nogera (Nogera moreso) have great shots at weathering the storm and finding a submission

Now if Silvia were still in the UFC i'd say that was the obvious fight for Brock, but he isn't, so it doesn't matter

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #548 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you live, so I may come there and slay you for uttering those words
tongue_smile.gif

I don't ever wish to see Kimbo Slice in an MMA fight ever again, let alone against Brock. That fight is absolutely no contest whatsoever. Kimbo Slice is a joke and an insult to every MMA fan across the world, and has made a mockery of EliteXC (not that they needed Slice to accomplish this, but still...).

What will be the outcome of Slice vs Shamrock?

Can the worlds most dangerous man still handle someone like Kimbo?

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #549 of 584
Quote:

What will be the outcome of Slice vs Shamrock?

Can the worlds most dangerous man still handle someone like Kimbo?

Shamrock should be ashamed to have ever been referred to by that nickname. He has always sucked, but early on didn't suck on Kimbo's level. He may very well be there now. If Kimbo can avoid the various leg/ankle locks Shamrock may be able to pull off, he will KO him easy enough. I will go with a Slice KO in this one. My only wish for this fight would be that this be the last time anyone has to suffer through Shamrock stinking up the cage. It's bad enough we have to see Kimbo.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #550 of 584
Quote:

I'd disagree with that...Liddell just doesn't have the power that he used to. His take down defense combined with his past power could be just as successful today.

In his particular case, it's less a matter of style and more a matter of age and power.

You're right though, given that his power is gone, he won't be able to compete without a style change, which won't happen. I think he's pretty much done...lost 3 of his last four fights, and I didn't think he looked good in beating Silva in that one win, Silva's lost something also.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #551 of 584
In UFC system to make money its all about making a name and fan base with exciting fights not all about winning.
Liddell made 500K in loss to Evans who made only 120k

Some fighters are very low on pay scale

Fighter payouts

Dana White thinks the Lesnar vs Couture fight could draw 1 million PPV customers

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #552 of 584
Looking forward to Coutoure/Lesnar.

Sure, Lesnar doesn't deserve a title shot based on record. It's an interesting fight though. Lesnar dropped Mir and Herring with that (I believe) right hand early, both seemed caught off guard by that.

Couture is older and more experienced.

I could see either winning...not sure whom to pick on this one. I'll pick Lesnar if I have to choose one, but I'm hoping Randy puts him in his place.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #553 of 584
Quote:

In UFC system to make money its all about making a name and fan base with exciting fights not all about winning.

Fighter payouts

Dana White thinks the Lesnar vs Couture fight could draw 1 million PPV customers

Well also there are also payouts that are off the book, aka "fight bonuses" in some cases also. I have herd interviews with some fighters complaining that their fight purse was not enough to cover their hospital bills they incurred because of the fight.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #554 of 584
Quote:

Fighter payouts

it is worse with elite xc- they reported the champ noons getting $80,000 the past 4 years .

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #555 of 584
Look at that huge pay difference between:

Dan Henderson 250K vs Palhares 7K

By the time Palhares pays for his teams hotel rooms, airline tickets, meals etc not much left.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back