UFC Discussion
Jul 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #466 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get all the disrespect Sylvia gets, he's a top 5 heavyweight for sure. Tim's one of the few guys with a chance against Fedor.

I don't remember Fedor taking a kick flush from Crocop (in the head I assume you mean?), but I do recall him almost getting knocked out by Fujita.

Fedor's the man, but he's a man.

Maybe you can find a clip on youtube. Crocop caught him flush and he barely registered getting hit. I don't think a whole lot of Crocop, but the man's kicks are lethal. Take it and you've got some iron head.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #467 of 584
OK I will take Rampage with round 1 KO.
Griffin will make same mistake as Liddell and try to exchange stand-up punches......big mistake.

You look at Griffin's record other than last win over Shogun and there is really nothing there to make him a world class contender, I am thinking the Shogun fight was not showing how good Griffin is but how bad Shogun was that night.

If Giffin had good Muay Thai clinch skills I would be more convinced he can win, the big losses by Rampage in Pride to Wandy and Shogun were by knees that cut him to pieces.........

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #469 of 584
Quote:

I don't get all the disrespect Sylvia gets, he's a top 5 heavyweight for sure. Tim's one of the few guys with a chance against Fedor.

I don't remember Fedor taking a kick flush from Crocop (in the head I assume you mean?), but I do recall him almost getting knocked out by Fujita.

Sylvia is a guy that is easy for people to love to hate.

His striking is seemingly awkward but, he has been able to use it well. In the case of matched up with Fedor the one thing that I would see as a down side for Sylvia is getting taken down with a leg trip rather than a double leg.(As seen by Coture when he fought Sylvia)

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #471 of 584
Forrest dominated one round, but it was a really close fight. Forrest's bobbing and weaving was great, Page barely landed any shots clean. Forrest is the more well rounded fighter and I think it's cool that he's the champ. Quinton needs a lot of work on the ground.

Also they showed Randy, that was cool.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #472 of 584
Those leg kicks were lethal! Rampage's knee almost buckled in round two. I don't get how the last judge scoredi t 49-46, but oh well.

I really liked the Joe Stevenson fight. Man that transition was quick and tight!

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #473 of 584
good fight, but it looked as if rampage went into the fight with a bad ankle, notice how little weight he put on it when forrest was working his other knee?

I can see forrest having a sylvia type run with the belt, he isn't amazing at any single area, but he's just so well rounded that he's arguable the toughest guy to finish at 205

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #474 of 584
Amazing fight card this past weekend. Much, much better than the one a couple of weeks before with Tanner vs. Grove.

The main event was fantastic. I thought Forrest clearly dominated Rampage in the first three rounds. The leg kicks were indeed lethal. Why he stopped abusing Rampage's leg in the third round is beyond me? I'm almost thinking they had become such good friends throughout the series that Forrest didn't want to do irreparable damage to his knee. He was shifting Rampage over 90 degrees to his right each time one of those blows landed. Impressive stuff.

On the topic of leg kicks Tyson Griffin absolutely obliterated Aurelio with those tree trunks he calls legs. If seeing him in action doesn't make you want to start doing squats, you need to check your pulse. I think more fighters are going to start focusing on training their legs a bit more after seeing that bout. Aurelio couldn't do a thing because of how much power Griffin had in his lower body.

The Lytle/Koscheck fight was one of the top three bloodiest UFC fights I have ever seen. It literally looked as though a switch had been flipped on with the blood flowing out of Lytle's head like a garden hose. Seeing Koscheck's blond mini-fro turn pink by the end of the fight was great, and seeing Lytle stand up that last time to face him, absolutely covered from head to waist in blood, was incredible.

Can't wait to see Silva abuse Irvin and I hope Leben stomps all over Bisping.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #475 of 584
It's great to see Forrest come so far. I had him winning this one, although I wasn't very confident. I guess you can't get too sure when all it takes is 1 good shot from the other guy to prove you wrong. Rampage still has holes, he even said during TUF that he sucks on his back. His punching power is so off charts though. I think the reason why Forrest won was not only his well-roundedness but also his iron chin. I've never seen a guy shake off such devastating shots as Forrest, the guy just has a stout beard.

It will definitely be interesting to see him defend it now, I don't know if Forrest could win a rematch with Rampage. Heck, I don't know if anyone could beat Rampage consistently with the punching power he has.

The rest of the card was pretty blah. Guillard probably is one of the more intriguing guys around. You look at him and you see he has all the tools in the shed to be a force. Supposedly he has his head on straight now, we'll see if he can put it together. I was disappointed that Griffin couldn't finish Aurelio, but he looked good otherwise.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #476 of 584
Quote:

huh? he only got rocked once, clinched then proceeded to win the fight at the end. you are partially correct in that that was the closest ever he came to being challenged (note: randleman's didn't seem to do any damage at all with that impressive looking suplex). Other than a bs NC, he never lost a fight in MMA IIRC.

Couple of my friends who watched the fight said page should have won at the end. I gotta see it myself sometime soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #477 of 584
I actually thought Rampage won, though it was a close fight. Forrest was definitely more offensive, he was scoring points while eating shots. Rampage (in the first round) was great at dodging Forrest's punching, occasionally stepping in to throw an accurate combination. I think the hurt leg did him in, Rampage had the opportunity to go in for the finish quite a few times, but didn't. And his ground game... horrible. Overall, it was a good fight, and though I don't necessarily agree with the outcome (I was hoping for a split decision), both men earned my respect.

Now rumors of an immediate rematch... that would be cool.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #478 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Forrest clearly dominated Rampage in the first three rounds. The leg kicks were indeed lethal. Why he stopped abusing Rampage's leg in the third round is beyond me? I'm almost thinking they had become such good friends throughout the series that Forrest didn't want to do irreparable damage to his knee. He was shifting Rampage over 90 degrees to his right each time one of those blows landed. Impressive stuff.

Not sure I'd say Forrest dominates the first three. I think you have to clearly give him rounds 2 and 5 while giving Rampage 4. 1 and 3 are awfully close, but I give 1 to Page and call 3 a draw (Forrest gets 10-8 for the second winning 48-47).

I didn't notice Forrest letting up with the leg kicks either, I think Rampage just got smarter about avoiding them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
huh? he only got rocked once, clinched then proceeded to win the fight at the end. you are partially correct in that that was the closest ever he came to being challenged (note: randleman's didn't seem to do any damage at all with that impressive looking suplex). Other than a bs NC, he never lost a fight in MMA IIRC.

I know how the fight proceeds, I've seen every fedor fight at least twice
smily_headphones1.gif
. My point still stands that he was almost dethroned by a fighter who wasn't exactly a top striker. Fedor came back wonderfully afterwards which is to be expected, he's a far better fighter. I remember Mark Hunt looking pretty good against Fedor as well as Ricardo Arona if you want to count rings (which you probably shouldn't). Fedor will probably beat Sylvia, but I don't see either man dominating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia

It's doubtful with Wand and, most likely, Chuck coming off wins. That's two great trilogies.

Also Forrest needs to be champ long enough for Machida to murder him
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #479 of 584
Anderson Silva fighting as light heavyweight on Spike TV show mid July, if he wins a couple impressive fights in this class look for him to go for the title match against Griffin.........

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #480 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually thought Rampage won, though it was a close fight. Forrest was definitely more offensive, he was scoring points while eating shots. Rampage (in the first round) was great at dodging Forrest's punching, occasionally stepping in to throw an accurate combination. I think the hurt leg did him in, Rampage had the opportunity to go in for the finish quite a few times, but didn't. And his ground game... horrible. Overall, it was a good fight, and though I don't necessarily agree with the outcome (I was hoping for a split decision), both men earned my respect.

You are definitely not alone. I went through a good amount of posts at sherdog and noticed at least a good half of the people who watched it argued that page may have not been at his best, but did enough to win. Round 3 was arguable, but 1 and 4 was clearly Page's. I think the crowd knows better, all those lopsided cheers for forrest turned halfway into boos after the decision was announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back