UFC Discussion
Apr 22, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #121 of 584
What the hell is going on in this sport lately? GSP, CroCop, Lil Nog, and Arona have all been creamed in fights recently.

Great gameplan and execution for Gonzaga. His constant circling never allowed CroCop to set up any of his lethal strikes. That high kick was BRUTAL, and he was winning the fight up until then, too. CroCop's limp leg KO was worse than Guy Mezger after getting KO'ed by Chuck Liddell. Gonzaga has just vaulted himself into the top 10 of heavyweights with that performance. Couture vs. Gonzaga should be interesting. Couture will have his hands full, as Napao has proven he has the stand-up to go along with the ground game.

The Arlovski/Werdum fight was horrible. Worse than Diego/Koscheck if that is even possible.

UFC needs to institute yellow cards/deduction of fight purses to discourage that crap from continuing.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #122 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the results usually up on the UFC website before the event has even gotten halfway through being shown?

This event was broadcast on a tape delay as it was shown live from England. Typically, the events are shown live in the US because they are generally held in Las Vegas. This one was not.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #123 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Arlovski/Werdum fight was horrible. Worse than Diego/Koscheck if that is even possible.

Thank the power that be it was free, if I paid money to watch that fight I'd be demanding a refund. The first round wasn't too bad, but the other rounds were just like the Diego/Koscheck fight.

Quote:

UFC needs to institute yellow cards/deduction of fight purses to discourage that crap from continuing.

No doubt about that, almost every UFC event this year has been a complete letdown, sure there were some bright spots like the Tyson/Edgar fight but there were few and far between.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #124 of 584
Quote:

Yes very slow especially last two rounds...........Dana must have said something to ref Herb Dean between 2-3 round because Herb told fighters he would deduct point for stalling during round 3, fans were vocal in thier displeasure during Rogan post fights comments from Arlovski

Quote:

Agree........or as Rogan pointed out during fight those who constantly stall and delay to win fights are not asked back to fight at UFC.

Also I would like to see some rule modifacation about ground and pound rules in UFC......especially in regards to elbows to face of downed opponent.
I think UFC should follow Pride rules give downed person better chance to defend himself and escape/reverse/submit attacker. The elbows to the face cause very serious cuts, doesn't seem like good sportsmanship to pummel downed opponent, elbows during stand up are fine...........I prefer fights to end with clean knockout or nice submission technique that doesn't damage other fighters health.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #125 of 584
Quote:

Great gameplan and execution for Gonzaga. His constant circling never allowed CroCop to set up any of his lethal strikes. That high kick was BRUTAL, and he was winning the fight up until then, too.

Agree completely, CroCop only got in one decent body kick entire fight because of Gonzaga constantly moving. Crocop was lucky to survive the ground and pound of round 1.........I was expecting another take down by Gonzaga but then came the kick, that will be on every MMA knock out DVD for years to come (unfortunately for CroCop)

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #126 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree completely, CroCop only got in one decent body kick entire fight because of Gonzaga constantly moving. Crocop was lucky to survive the ground and pound of round 1.........I was expecting another take down by Gonzaga but then came the kick, that will be on every MMA knock out DVD for years to come (unfortunately for CroCop)

It wasn't just moving too, it was the way he was moving. Eddie Sanchez was constantly moving too, but he was circling too wide and backpedaling too much allowing CroCop to hunt him around the octagon. Gabriel was circling while throwing punches in a very small circle around CroCop. I have never seen anyone else do that against him. Very effective method. Add that to the fact that CroCop had to be concerned that Gabe would try to shoot for takedowns, which he did not have to worry about against Sanchez.

People are going to try to say that CroCop has a suspect chin because of this and the Randleman KO, but that's bullcrap. That Gonzaga kick would've dropped an elephant. Some may also say that CroCop is overrated, but I don't agree. Gonzaga looked world class in this fight. I think if he fought Fedor, Nog, and Barnett, he would continue to look very good. I don't think any of them would walk through him. He's very big and strong with good skills on the feet and the ground.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #127 of 584
Liddell vs Jackson II
I hope Chuck is going to do more than just try to stand-up strike against Rampage, if he does I don't see how fight will end any different than last beat he took at Pride fight 2003........even if Chuck is a bit better striker today he won't out box Rampage, he would have to be 100% better to out slug Rampage trading punches.

Need some type of ground/submission attack to neutralize Jackson's dominate punching skill. At Pride fight Dana White said in announce both Liddell was supposed to be constantly kicking legs of Rampage to slow him down, but hard to do when getting pounded by opponent.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #128 of 584
What a nightmare event that was. Not so much Arlovsky vs Werdum, but the Crocop fight shook my confidence in the MMA world much worse than GSP losing. GSP is still young, up and coming. Crocop getting knocked out like that is an embarrassment to every fighter he's fought before in the past.

Gonzaga was amazing in that fight. He was just switched on.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #129 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a nightmare event that was. Not so much Arlovsky vs Werdum, but the Crocop fight shook my confidence in the MMA world much worse than GSP losing. GSP is still young, up and coming. Crocop getting knocked out like that is an embarrassment to every fighter he's fought before in the past.

Gonzaga was amazing in that fight. He was just switched on.

Interesting that Couture flat out said in announce both before fight that Gonzaga would win and even Rogan said he would not be surprised at all if Gonzaga wins, Couture also said he would rather fight CroCop......

Also the larger octagon cage made it easier for Gonzaga to employ his constant circling movements, unlike smaller Pride ring with corners that Crocop is used to.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #130 of 584
I actually didn't think too much of the kick itself, since it came from the knee rather than a muay thai high kick, I was surprised when Crocop crumpled like a rag doll.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #131 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually didn't think too much of the kick itself, since it came from the knee rather than a muay thai high kick, I was surprised when Crocop crumpled like a rag doll.

What do you mean by that? I dont remember there being any knee involved. From what I saw, it was the lower shin/ankle area that hit Cro Cop on the side of the head...

Edit: Looked at the replay, i still dont see what you mean...

Even so... the whole reason this kick is amazing is because it's the exact same type of kick that Crop Cop is known for dishing out and knocking out guys with... it's like Gonzaga saying "HA! how do you like it when you're on the other side?". i still can't believe it...

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #132 of 584
And what the hell was up with this?

35k8v1u.gif

Where's my money, b*tch?!

tongue.gif

Werdum pissed me off so much. This is a guy that beat Aleksander Emelianenko handily and Aleks is a deadlier striker than Arlovski. Werdum is also responsible for Gonzaga's only loss, and by strikes. What was that crap against Andrei? Awful.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #133 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People are going to try to say that CroCop has a suspect chin because of this and the Randleman KO, but that's bullcrap. That Gonzaga kick would've dropped an elephant.

Agreed. Everyone other than Mark Hunt would've been down for the count after that kick.

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #134 of 584
I believe I said this earlier in this thread, or in a separate MMA thread, but CroCop was highly overrated, and Gonzaga Ko'ing him comes as absolutely no surprise. He has no ground game to speak of, and can't take punishment too good. How many more times does he have to get flattened?

Couture will have difficulty with Gonzaga, no doubt. It's a hard fight to pick, but since I haven't really seen much of Gonzaga, I'll go with who I know and say Couture gets the win.

Chuck beats Rampage in whatever fashion he needs to, he's made alot of improvement, and I haven't seen Rampage make any. I'm going to guess he KO's Rampage, and I'll go with round 2.

There really aren't many major upsets in MMA. There are so many ways to win a fight, and one mistake can make all the difference. Everyone who gets to the level of UFC or Pride is more than capable of finding a way to pull of a surprise, which is why long runs defending a championship are very rare. In a more restictive sport, like boxing, it's easier to master the lone method of offense and dominate, not so with MMA. It also doesn't help that everyone who wins a major fight is immediately pumped as the next unbeatable superstar, and when they lose the next fight, it's seen as an "upset".

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #135 of 584
The kick's power was generated by a snap from Gonzaga's knee. It is NOT the kind of kick Crocop throws, which comes from rotating the hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back