UFC Discussion
Apr 17, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #106 of 584
Serra is strong and it could happen to anyone. He won it "fair" and square, but I still think it was a lucky punch. Serra is pretty good, much more well rounded than Matt Hughes, technically. I don't know who would win between the two of them. I'd love to see it, although I'm sure the crowd would be booing the two of them until the cows came home.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #107 of 584
Predictions for the Liddell vs Rampage fight coming up on May 26? Im stoked. but I have no idea who's going to win. Chuck got beaten pretty bad when they last fought in PRIDE...

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #108 of 584
Every time I see Rampage win against quality opponents it's like a miracle, so I'd like to see another one. Liddell seems the sharper of the two at the moment, though but we didn't get to see him wrestle Couture or Sobral the last time they fought.

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #109 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serra is strong and it could happen to anyone. He won it "fair" and square, but I still think it was a lucky punch.

I actually think Serra was just better that night. Georges basically made every mistake he could possibly make. He has so many options to win that fight. He didn't utilize his tremendous reach advantage by keeping Serra at bay using a jab. I really think he should've fought Serra just like he fought Sherk. Box with him until he found an opening to drive him into the fence, proceed with ground and pound. But instead he was throwing lazy high kicks. He never even tried to really go off. Very poor showing by him, probably the worst in his career.

And when he got wobbled with that punch behind his ear, he should have tried to pull guard immediately. I think Georges was respecting Matt's BJJ way too much by never attempting to bring the fight to the ground. GSP is so much stronger than Matt, I don't think he should've been too worried about getting subbed. Even with Matt's impressive BJJ resume, he has only subbed a couple opponents in MMA, the last one 5 years ago.

Quote:

Serra is pretty good, much more well rounded than Matt Hughes, technically. I don't know who would win between the two of them. I'd love to see it, although I'm sure the crowd would be booing the two of them until the cows came home.

Matt Hughes' stand-up isn't great, but it really doesn't matter against everyone else in that division. GSP is the only 170 lb.'er that can outmuscle Hughes and avoid his takedowns. Everyone else is susceptible to his takedowns and GnP. It's what made him such a dominant champion. Hughes will stick to his usual gameplan against Serra and pound out a decision or TKO via GnP. GSP will have to fight a tune-up against someone like Fitch or Koscheck before a rubber match with Hughes for the title. GSP regains it here by the end of the year.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #110 of 584
I don't see GSP as having outmuscled Hughes. IMO, their fight was one where GSP had superior positioning and tactics for the entire duration. I think Hughes only made 2 takedown attempts or so before getting kicked in the head (it was a kick, right?). He never put himself in a position where he would have to compete strength/wrestling/jiujitsu against Hughes. By the time Hughes made any take down attempts, they were sweaty. BJ Penn already showed that Hughes wasn't invincible with his takedowns. He just mysteriously gassed in that fight. Serra doesn't always submit his opponents precisely because he does have some semblance of a striking game, something Hughes doesn't. In any case, I have no doubt that Serra has better strikes than Hughes on their feet, and Hughes having better strikes on the ground. But Serra has better subs and probably lots more experience working from his back, which is why I think the fight would be interesting. GNP can be neutralized, even if your name is Fedor Emelianenko. Crocop did it, (though he clearly was not the winner.) Hey, just hold those arms for dear life. Which is why I forsee a lot of booing.

I don't see evidence of GSP as being clearly stronger than Serra. I seem to recall that their reach difference was not nearly as dramatic as their height difference since Serra has rather disproportionately long arms. What draws you to that conclusion? If you watch some of the post fight locker room footage, it shows GSP rewatching the rabbit punch, so to speak, to find out what happened, and one of his teammates has to explain to him that he had been hit on the back of the head. I don't think he didn't pull guard because he respected Serra's ground game. Pulling guard is probably not something he falls back on very much in training, regardless of the opponent.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #111 of 584
Quote:

I don't see GSP as having outmuscled Hughes.

Really? Hughes had the double underhooks and GSP did a mid-air sprawl and just shoved Matt off. I haven't seen anyone else accomplish that against Hughes. In their first fight (which Hughes pulled off one of the best transitions to an armbar I've ever seen), immediately following the match GSP stated that he had made a crucial error, but that he wasn't at all impressed with Hughes' reputed strength. He said something like, "This is supposed to be the strongest guy in the division?" And I think he proved that he is the strongest physically in the rematch. I think Matt was overwhelmed by GSP's strength, which is why he was discouraged to attempt more takedowns. He was at a total loss. In between rounds, he had to tell his corner "talk to me, guys" because they were all out of ideas. GSP is such a big strong 170 pounder. He could easily fight at middleweight.

I think BJ displayed his excellent flexibility and balance in avoiding a takedown in most of his fight with Hughes, but it wasn't really sheer power keeping him on his feet. Matt had a single leg most of the time and BJ was basically doing the splits to stay up. That can only work for so long. With Matt's persistence and superior strength, he is going to get you on the ground. And I don't think it was any mystery to why BJ gassed. He is not a cardio machine like Hughes or Tito. Plus, he injured his own rib trying to secure the triangle at the end of the round. He was done after that.

Quote:

Serra doesn't always submit his opponents precisely because he does have some semblance of a striking game, something Hughes doesn't.

I knew that Serra had fairly heavy hands before, but I didn't think much of his stand-up until this fight with Georges. And his boxing trainer basically said that if GSP never injured himself, which granted them those extra couple weeks of striking coaching, that Serra likely would have lost the fight. He even said in the center of the octagon that Serra's striking in that fight was the best he'd ever seen from him.

I know it seems kind of stupid to count Serra out again, but I still have to go with Hughes. I mean, the only guys that have stopped Hughes due to strikes are GSP and Pele. Serra is not at the same level as those guys in stand-up and I don't think he ever will be. Hell, I don't even think he "beat" Chris Lytle at the TUF4 finale. I think that fight with Georges was just one of those things where everything came together for Serra, and it will probably never happen again. If he were to defend today against Diego, Kos, BJ, and Karo again, I'd pick each one of those guys to beat him. And of course I'd pick Georges to win in a rematch. And I like Serra, I think he's a cool guy.

Quote:

In any case, I have no doubt that Serra has better strikes than Hughes on their feet, and Hughes having better strikes on the ground. But Serra has better subs and probably lots more experience working from his back, which is why I think the fight would be interesting. GNP can be neutralized, even if your name is Fedor Emelianenko. Crocop did it, (though he clearly was not the winner.) Hey, just hold those arms for dear life. Which is why I forsee a lot of booing.

Agreed. But I think Hughes would just do his combo of LnP and GnP to a boring decision at worst, TKO (GnP strikes) stoppage at best. Hughes, despite no longer being the champ, is still a world-class fighter that hardly ever makes a mistaKe. I don't think I can say the same for Serra. Not enough evidence to make that claim for him, at least not yet.

Quote:

I don't see evidence of GSP as being clearly stronger than Serra. I seem to recall that their reach difference was not nearly as dramatic as their height difference since Serra has rather disproportionately long arms. What draws you to that conclusion? If you watch some of the post fight locker room footage, it shows GSP rewatching the rabbit punch, so to speak, to find out what happened, and one of his teammates has to explain to him that he had been hit on the back of the head. I don't think he didn't pull guard because he respected Serra's ground game. Pulling guard is probably not something he falls back on very much in training, regardless of the opponent.

Well, I think Serra is a tweener between light and welterweights, while Georges is a tweener for welter and middleweights. Obviously, a judgment of their strengths is pure conjecture by me, but I stand by it. It does seem like Serra has long arms, but Georges is no T.Rex. I think if Georges would have picked his strike attempts more wisely, he would've never gotten hit a la Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben. I think you're right about not pulling guard in his training because of his excellent stand-up, but you've got to be prepared for when s#!t happens. One thing is for sure, Georges needs to do the Fedor dizzy dance exercise in training from now on. This is what saved Fedor in his fight with Fujita. Fedor comes prepared for everything his opponent could possibly bring to the fight.

Good talk!
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #112 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
UFC 70
Still scheduled to be shown for free on Spike TV 4/21/07 at 9pm et.

Don't forget to catch the free UFC 70 PPV tomorrow night on Spike TV.

TUF 5
BJ Penn team really hurting now with 3 losses, time for Pulver to unleash Cory on the world?
k1000smile.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #114 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Hughes had the double underhooks and GSP did a mid-air sprawl and just shoved Matt off. I haven't seen anyone else accomplish that against Hughes.

I attribute that to GSP having read Hughes. If he was midair, he had no serious leverage at that time, therefore, he must have anticipated it. Hughes didn't clasp GSP's lower back in time.

Quote:

In their first fight (which Hughes pulled off one of the best transitions to an armbar I've ever seen), immediately following the match GSP stated that he had made a crucial error, but that he wasn't at all impressed with Hughes' reputed strength. He said something like, "This is supposed to be the strongest guy in the division?" And I think he proved that he is the strongest physically in the rematch. I think Matt was overwhelmed by GSP's strength, which is why he was discouraged to attempt more takedowns. He was at a total loss. In between rounds, he had to tell his corner "talk to me, guys" because they were all out of ideas. GSP is such a big strong 170 pounder. He could easily fight at middleweight.

I won't get into a debate about how "strong" someone is based on post fight comments
tongue.gif
I'd much rather base it on how buff they look
wink.gif
And to be honest, I think Matt Hughes's last second miracle armbar was just that. Just like when he beat BJ Penn, I didn't think he had the "right."

Quote:

I think BJ displayed his excellent flexibility and balance in avoiding a takedown in most of his fight with Hughes, but it wasn't really sheer power keeping him on his feet. Matt had a single leg most of the time and BJ was basically doing the splits to stay up. That can only work for so long. With Matt's persistence and superior strength, he is going to get you on the ground. And I don't think it was any mystery to why BJ gassed. He is not a cardio machine like Hughes or Tito. Plus, he injured his own rib trying to secure the triangle at the end of the round. He was done after that.

Yeah, I don't think BJ Penn was staying up with strength, either. But he did look like he went in totally unprepared and was still kicking Hughes's butt until he injured himself/gassed. Ok, so he always looks like he didn't prepare.
rolleyes.gif
Yeah, that's BJ.

Quote:

I knew that Serra had fairly heavy hands before, but I didn't think much of his stand-up until this fight with Georges. And his boxing trainer basically said that if GSP never injured himself, which granted them those extra couple weeks of striking coaching, that Serra likely would have lost the fight. He even said in the center of the octagon that Serra's striking in that fight was the best he'd ever seen from him.

I still think Serra's striking looked like crap next to GSPs. He just that good punch in on the back of the head when GSP made the mistake of ducking instead of swaying. Anyone can throw a hard punch. But I've never seen Hughes connect a hard punch on his feet, luck or no.

Quote:

I know it seems kind of stupid to count Serra out again, but I still have to go with Hughes. I mean, the only guys that have stopped Hughes due to strikes are GSP and Pele. Serra is not at the same level as those guys in stand-up and I don't think he ever will be. Hell, I don't even think he "beat" Chris Lytle at the TUF4 finale. I think that fight with Georges was just one of those things where everything came together for Serra, and it will probably never happen again. If he were to defend today against Diego, Kos, BJ, and Karo again, I'd pick each one of those guys to beat him. And of course I'd pick Georges to win in a rematch. And I like Serra, I think he's a cool guy.

I think Serra clearly had the upper hand over Lytle. I'm really not sure about Diego and Koscheck. Despite being somehow billed as a submission fighter, I've not seen Diego do it. He hasn't fought anyone good except for Nick Diaz, and I still think Diaz won that fight. Koscheck has potential, but he had to play tag with Diego, and hats off to him for the win, but that just showed the gaping wide holes in Diego's game and how much room Koscheck still has for improvement.

Quote:

Agreed. But I think Hughes would just do his combo of LnP and GnP to a boring decision at worst, TKO (GnP strikes) stoppage at best. Hughes, despite no longer being the champ, is still a world-class fighter that hardly ever makes a mistaKe. I don't think I can say the same for Serra. Not enough evidence to make that claim for him, at least not yet.

I agree, it's very likely for Hughes to do a LnP and GnP and win. But Serra is bigger than Carlos Newton and fits the weight class better - I think he has a sub shot, and he could always get another lucky punch
wink.gif

Quote:

Well, I think Serra is a tweener between light and welterweights, while Georges is a tweener for welter and middleweights. Obviously, a judgment of their strengths is pure conjecture by me, but I stand by it. It does seem like Serra has long arms, but Georges is no T.Rex. I think if Georges would have picked his strike attempts more wisely, he would've never gotten hit a la Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben. I think you're right about not pulling guard in his training because of his excellent stand-up, but you've got to be prepared for when s#!t happens. One thing is for sure, Georges needs to do the Fedor dizzy dance exercise in training from now on. This is what saved Fedor in his fight with Fujita. Fedor comes prepared for everything his opponent could possibly bring to the fight.

Good talk!
biggrin.gif

The reach advantage is an advantage but it doesn't mean that the guy with the longer reach always wins, for sure. See Couture vs. Sylvia
biggrin.gif

Here's the thing with Fedor - I'm sure most of the Red Devil guys train just like Fedor, but how come Fedor is the only one who pulls it all off in the ring? It's not the training, he's a machine!

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #115 of 584
It's possible that both CroCop and Arlovski get submitted tomorrow. They are both facing BJJ World Champions. But I will go ahead and make a prediction that CroCop Team (CroCop and Werdum) emerge victorious tomorrow.

Bisping should roll over Elvis Sinosic. Machida should win over Heath. It was supposed to be Forrest against Machida, but Griffin got a staph infection. I would've picked Machida either way.

Quote:

Here's the thing with Fedor - I'm sure most of the Red Devil guys train just like Fedor, but how come Fedor is the only one who pulls it all off in the ring? It's not the training, he's a machine!

Oh, for sure. You just cannot teach his ring instincts, determination, and his unbelievable calm during a fight. But I think that dizzy exercise is just good training for recovering from a glancing blow. Too many fighters, as soon as they get dazed, that's it.

I think what makes Fedor the best, aside from being the best all-around fighter, is that he is the most efficient fighter. Fighters that rely too much on their stand-up always leave openings to get hit by their opponents, like what happened to GSP. Fedor controls opponents on the ground and submits them. This is the safest way to secure a victory. If he doesn't get a submission, he can utilize his vicious GnP to a TKO victory. If he doesn't TKO his opponent on the ground, he controls the fight from the top and continuously punches you in the face for a unanimous decision (Nog x2, CroCop, etc). And since he uses judo throws and clinches to take his opponents down instead of shooting for single/double legs like the Greco and BJJ fighters, you cannot sprawl out of them. Plus his striking is more than adequate to set up the clinch. And it's also safer to utilize these types of takedowns opposed to shoots because they allowed knees to the head of a downed opponent in PRIDE.

I would be really curious to see Fedor fight Chuck since they are currently the two most consistent fighters in the sport. Obviously, Chuck will have the chance to hit Fedor on the button at the beginning of the fight. But if Fedor gets that clinch and hip tosses him to the ground, I don't think Chuck will be able to get back on his feet like he normally does. But Chuck's ability to stay on his feet has been incredible, so who knows.

My dream fights if they are able to put them on for these so-called "MMA Super Bowls" are:

1. Fedor vs. Cro Cop 2
2. Fedor vs. Chuck Liddell
3. Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Shogun
4. Shinya Aoki vs. BJ Penn
5. Big Nog vs. CroCop 2 (though technically not UFC vs. PRIDE anymore)

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #116 of 584
HOLY crap. GONZAGA KO'S CROP COP WITH A HIGH KICK AND GIVES HIM A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE!

I couldnt believe it. totally amazing and unexpected...wow....

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #117 of 584
Cro Cop looked as if his knee, and foot were broken, and in 3 different positions. Then the guy got up and WALKED away lol.

It will hurt come tommorow, and my guess is, he is away from UFC for atleast 6 months, possibly a year, or more, before he returns, based on how awful that match went for him

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #118 of 584
I was gonna start watching this a little after 9 PM, when I decided I wanted to see the fight lineup beforehand. So I go to the UFC site, and what do I see? Not only the fight lineup, but the RESULTS of those fights!
mad.gif
Wonderful, no need to watch it now. Are the results usually up on the UFC website before the event has even gotten halfway through being shown?

Apr 22, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #119 of 584
hey come on, be nice to the others who haven't watched it
put up a spoiler warning or something

like so...

*SPOILER WARNING-cro cop-gonzaga fight*

has there been a medical report or something regarding filipovic's leg?
that must've done an extensive damage. thankfully, his whole weight didn't stay on his leg for a long time.

my only reaction when the kick connected was a loud "What" and then standing up too fast, when I was lying down. which resulted in light headedness

hopefully, he doesnt suffer long term injury

arlovski, why did you do that?

end spoiler**

:p

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #120 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was gonna start watching this a little after 9 PM, when I decided I wanted to see the fight lineup beforehand. So I go to the UFC site, and what do I see? Not only the fight lineup, but the RESULTS of those fights!
mad.gif
Wonderful, no need to watch it now. Are the results usually up on the UFC website before the event has even gotten halfway through being shown?

Never check the ufc website. I learned that the hard way, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back