UFC Discussion
May 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #226 of 584
Liddell vs Jackson II
I will stand by my prediction that Rampage will take down the Iceman again tonight, even though Liddell is at the top of his game and a smarter fighter than first match.........his style does not match well vs rampage. I have heard comments by Randy Couture that say basically the same thing (although he will not publically predict defeat for his pal chuck) Couture said Gonzaga would flat out beat CroCop before last PPV when talking with Rogan & Goldie.

After seeing the fighters that Rampage has trouble with like Shogun, they beat him badly with Muay Thai knees to body and chin.....I have not seen Liddell use these much in his fights, he will try to outpunch rampage and that will be a mistake (again)
Of course with any heavy hitter there is always a chance he will connect with clean punch and put rampage away, but I say odds are 75% rampage 25% iceman winning

May 26, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #227 of 584
I would love to say that Rampage will win, but I fear that Chuck has 4 years under his belt since the last meeting and will dominate Jackson as he has all his opponents. Still would like to Rampage take the IceMan down!

May 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #228 of 584
The UFC 71 complete fight card is surprisingly weak line-up besides the blockbuster Liddell vs Jackson..........you would think with all the talent they have been signing they could make a strong PPV card each month
mad.gif

What happened to Anderson Silva? Sean Serk? David Loiseau?

May 27, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #229 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liddell vs Jackson II
I will stand by my prediction that Rampage will take down the Iceman again tonight, even though Liddell is at the top of his game and a smarter fighter than first match.........his style does not match well vs rampage. I have heard comments by Randy Couture that say basically the same thing (although he will not publically predict defeat for his pal chuck) Couture said Gonzaga would flat out beat CroCop before last PPV when talking with Rogan & Goldie.

After seeing the fighters that Rampage has trouble with like Shogun, they beat him badly with Muay Thai knees to body and chin.....I have not seen Liddell use these much in his fights, he will try to outpunch Rampage and that will be a mistake (again)

Wow.......just came back from watching PPV, Liddell was quickly and completely destroyed by Rampage, I was able to take $5 each from four guys sitting next to me at local Hooters
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also UFC officially announced (as Borat reported) that Dan Henderson will fight Rampage in UFC

May 27, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #230 of 584
I was extremely disappointed with the Liddell - Rampage fight. Way too short for such a hyped up fight and I don't personally like Rampage all that much. Was hoping Chuck would own Rampage...hopefully next time.

May 27, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #231 of 584
I was disappointed as well. I didnt have a favorite, but I was disappointed in how quick the fight was. I can't believe Chuck went to the ground so easily. Rampage got him with a solid right hook but damn... I thought Chuck could handle more punishment than that. I like Rampage and have no problem with him winning, I just wish the fight would have been more competitive.

May 27, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #232 of 584
mma_kc_ufc71_412.jpg

I predicted Chuck would even up the score, but it appears that Quinton has his number. Also, the way Chuck insists on standing and trading with every opponent, someone was going to catch him sooner or later. It just happens to be the same guy who whooped his ass 3 years ago.

I am pretty happy for Jackson though. The PRIDE belt always eluded him and now he has the UFC belt around his waist. Many people were saying that he was washed up after the devastating losses to Wanderlei and Shogun and his lackluster fights since. But it looks like he is excited about fighting again.

Maybe now that they are both coming off losses, we will finally see Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva.
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I'm not really excited about seeing Dan Henderson fight Rampage. Henderson should stay at 185 and fight guys like Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin. It was pretty badass when he came into the octagon holding the two belts though. But these two guys like each other so it's kinda difficult to market a fight between them. That's why it would've been better if Wanderlei was still the champ. He hates Chuck and Quinton.
tongue.gif

May 27, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #233 of 584
Dont see any reason for Dana White to consider Liddell vs Jackson III in the furutre, there is no point Liddell was so badly beaten both times same would happen in third fight, as long as Rampage is in UFC Iceman will never be #1 again.....

The shocking thing was how easily Rampage won, he barely got touched and Liddell looked totally outclassed. I thought Rampage would get KO or TKO in second round like first fight after pounding Liddell into submission.

Rampage has plenty to worry about with Shogun having UFC contract, again he does not match well against Shogun's Muay Thai kicks and would probably loose a third time.............unless he changes his fighting style.

The New Breed is here sweeping aside the older established UFC fighters, the bar has been raised

May 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #234 of 584
One more surprise was the Keith Jardine vs Houston Alexander fight.

The UFC rookie Alexander came in and beat the dean of mean like a drum, lightning fast hands just pummeled Jardine, great uppercut punches also when Jardine clinched, he was KOed in under 60 seconds......very impressive

May 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #236 of 584
I was truly hoping Rampage would win and he did. I like Chuck, but he's been on top too long. I do like the fact that he was a class act and said he got caught making a mistake. In this sport, you never know what's going to happen. It seems to go with what's been happening the last couple of months with all the champion upsets.

May 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #237 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont see any reason for Dana White to consider Liddell vs Jackson III in the furutre, there is no point Liddell was so badly beaten both times same would happen in third fight, as long as Rampage is in UFC Iceman will never be #1 again.....

The shocking thing was how easily Rampage won, he barely got touched and Liddell looked totally outclassed. I thought Rampage would get KO or TKO in second round like first fight after pounding Liddell into submission.

The shocking part is how much Rampage is in Chuck's head.

When was the last time you saw Chuck punch first and then get counterpunched?

Rampage totally baited him into going first. Huge mistake by Liddell. That's not his strength. He is a natural counter puncher.

With that said, the fight in 2003 was a much more dominant showing for Quinton. He was winning on the feet and demolished Chuck on the ground. The fight last night he just connected with a hook right on Chuck's jaw early in the fight. That can happen to anyone. Since Chuck prefers to stand and trade with his opponents, he will always give them a puncher's chance to defeat him. But since this is the second time Quinton has done it, you have to give him the credit he deserves.

May 27, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #238 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shocking part is how much Rampage is in Chuck's head.

When was the last time you saw Chuck punch first and then get counterpunched?

Rampage totally baited him into going first. Huge mistake by Liddell. That's not his strength. He is a natural counter puncher.

With that said, the fight in 2003 was a much more dominant showing for Quinton. He was winning on the feet and demolished Chuck on the ground. The fight last night he just connected with a hook right on Chuck's jaw early in the fight. That can happen to anyone. Since Chuck prefers to stand and trade with his opponents, he will always give them a puncher's chance to defeat him. But since this is the second time Quinton has done it, you have to give him the credit he deserves.

I don't think there was a punch thrown in first 60 seconds, Liddell just circled around Rampage hesitant to attack, Rampage threw his hands up saying come on qiut stalling..........then the first exchange down went Iceman. It happened so quickly and easily that most people in Hooters said it was a fixed fight and Liddell took a dive, they don't know Rampages power......

Henderson is much more balanced fighter and will be tougher test for Rampage.

May 27, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #239 of 584
I personally was ecstatic to see Rampage drop Liddell like a bad habit in under 2 minutes. I was very sick of seeing Liddell slowly become the Hulk Hogan of MMA, as the only real talent I ever see from him is a looping right counterpunch. Rampage will have his work cut out for him if he and Hendo mix it up in UFC. Same goes for Shogun. Either way I exploded in joy when Chuck went down. Good job Quinton, good to see Chuck not get his revenge.

May 27, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #240 of 584
Ya it was a pretty weak card, but I was very pleased with Rampage winning. I am not a fan of Chucks

UFC 72 doesn't have the HUGE names, but does have more depth for fights I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back