UFC Discussion
May 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #211 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my point is that Overeem isn't THAT good, and he gave Shogun a run for his money
tongue.gif
And yeah, that punch on the ground was lucky
smily_headphones1.gif
If only Overeem didn't gas...Actually, it's kinda fun trying to guess if/when Overeem will gas.

I was actually being a little too hard on Overeem in my previous post. He is actually a pretty good fighter. But what's sad is he could be a great fighter. He has tremendous physical strength, size, and great skills being trained by the best kickboxers in the world. He also has very good ground skills ending many of his fights in submission, particularly with that wicked guillotine. But he lacks a lot of heart. That's the thing with him. He always looks great at the beginning of a fight and then he just shuts it down either by gassing or just losing the will/determination to win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cyril Diabate was also destroying Shogun in the standup. Probably the worst anyones ever dominated him standing.

I don't agree. He was not "destroying" Shogun. He was effective in using his incredible reach advantage like Overeem, but the Snake was not close to stopping Shogun. I would say Minotoro (South American boxing champ) did the best against Shogun in standup by knocking him down once during their epic 2005 battle. The Snake never knocked Shogun down or even hit him really flush with any strike. Then he proceeded to get his face smashed in by "Chute Boxe violence" as Stephen Quadros would say.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corey was not impressive at all

I told you he was not Team Pulver's best fighter.
icon10.gif

He had no pro experience and only 2 amateur fights. With that said, he doesn't really have anything to be ashamed of in that fight considering his lack of MMA experience. I can't say the same for Rob Emerson. He is not a dynamic fighter at all. If he had any ground skills, he could have ended that fight. For someone who employs the sprawl 'n' brawl method, he doesn't "brawl" nearly enough. I understand Corey has the reach advantage, but Rob was way too tentative. I really think that's why the judges awarded the decision to Corey. Even though Rob scored with those low leg kicks, he just looked way too scared to mix it up. That fight was probably a draw. Neither fighter did any significant damage to the other. I hate watching fights like that.

Corey is lucky that Gabe couldn't make weight. Gabe would have beaten him.

Quote:

Joe Lauzon was very impressive, looks like he could win it all....

Joe's GnP was really vicious. That elbow that he threw that just grazed Geraghty and hit the mat was HARD. He has good octagon instincts as well. I was surprised when Geraghty got back to his feet and Joe leaped off the cage to get his back. He totally called how the fight would go in his pre-fight interview, too. Slam him into our corner, push him into the fence, beat him up a little bit, and then choke him out. He did all of that.

I predicted Joe would be in the final, but now I have this feeling that he isn't. He has been on the internet a lot writing a blog for the Boston Herald and spending time on the UnderGround Forum and Sherdog. I would think if he was in the finals that he would be too focused on training to do things like that. It's just a hunch though. I still think he's the best fighter on the show, but anything can happen in a fight.

Quote:

Bad news for team Penn.....they used up thier best fighter, and even though Lauzon won team Pulver has the hammer and chooses next fight

The hammer doesn't matter much anymore. There are only two fights left in the first round. Team Penn has already lost. But Team Penn has two of their strongest fighters left (Gray, Wiman) while Pulver saved his two weakest (Weems and that other guy who lies about beating up 20 guys in a barfight). Gray is the best wrestler on the show so he should win his fight. He might even be in the finals.

May 18, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #212 of 584
TUF 5 Series
Another dud of a show even with 2 fights........Weems was an absolute joke, my sister could fight beter than he did, how did he get on this show?

His Pulver team mate didn't do much better, two wins for team Penn.
Now that the weak fighters have been eliminated we can get down to some real fighting.........

May 19, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #213 of 584
Quote:

TUF 5 Series
Another dud of a show even with 2 fights........Weems was an absolute joke, my sister could fight beter than he did, how did he get on this show?

His Pulver team mate didn't do much better, two wins for team Penn.
Now that the weak fighters have been eliminated we can get down to some real fighting.........

Yup. I don't understand how some people get on this show in the first place (i.e. Weems, Monsta Lobsta, Danny Abbadi). These guys have zero chance of getting that contract. The two fights were completely one-sided. Gray was going easy on Weems and it was still total domination.

As far as Marlon Sims goes, don't we all know (or have known) someone like that? Just a pathological liar constantly telling stories to impress everyone? He may be a nice guy, but it's fun to see a liar like that just get put into his place.

As bad as Penn has done as a coach, it could've easily been a 4-4 tie instead of 5-3 in favor of Pulver. If Gabe wasn't beaten by the ice cream cake (hahah) he would have beaten Corey. But instead of training hard, he used the show to get his face on TV. But BJ's team has looked like Ken Shamrock's from a couple seasons ago. Both BJ and Ken were only concerned with fighting the other team's coach at the end of the show. Jens, on the other hand, has really impressed me with the way he has run his team. He may be a better coach than he is a fighter. BJ is the opposite.

Andy Wang is the weirdest dude ever. He has such a tremendously distorted view on what mixed martial arts is about. He cares more about showing warrior spirit than actually winning the fight. That's dumb. If you listen to what he says, in his mind he thinks he's a samurai or ninja or something. It's really mind boggling.

May 19, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #214 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andy Wang is the weirdest dude ever. He has such a tremendously distorted view on what mixed martial arts is about. He cares more about showing warrior spirit than actually winning the fight. That's dumb. If you listen to what he says, in his mind he thinks he's a samurai or ninja or something. It's really mind boggling.

He didn't show any warrior spirit when he fought...don't know he made it on the show either. I can add Ross Pointon in there, too, even though I found him immensely entertaining.

As I stated earlier, this is most dissappointing season so far. Hopefully, the semi-finals will be more competitive.

May 19, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #215 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He didn't show any warrior spirit when he fought...

Yeah, I agree. But in his warped mind, he thought that an effort to try to knock Brandon out after he had been rocked by a punch would've been displaying "warrior spirit". But he should've just done the smart thing and attempted to bring the fight to the ground. Wang is a BJJ black belt and you would've never been able to guess it by that fight.

If you read Joe Lauzon's blog, Andy thought that he put on a great fight despite losing. He lives in a dream world where he is a samurai and doesn't have to listen to his coaches. He is very childish.

May 19, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #216 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I agree. But in his warped mind, he thought that an effort to try to knock Brandon out after he had been rocked by a punch would've been displaying "warrior spirit". But he should've just done the smart thing and attempted to bring the fight to the ground. Wang is a BJJ black belt and you would've never been able to guess it by that fight.

If you read Joe Lauzon's blog, Andy thought that he put on a great fight despite losing. He lives in a dream world where he is a samurai and doesn't have to listen to his coaches. He is very childish.

Great fight? He really is living in his own world, isn't he?

Call me nuts, but I'm starting to think the whole "blackbelt" in whatever isn't what it's cracked up to be. Too many alleged blackbelts waltzing around, and yet they get in the ring and look clueless.

May 24, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #217 of 584
Quote:

His rib was cracked very early in the fight, but his corner failed to observe his signals to them. I'd like to see a rematch with Shogun. I've seen Shogun lose, it's not impossible
tongue.gif

Speaking of Shogun, there is a rumor going on the internets that Mauricio will be added to the UFC 72 card taking place in Ireland on June 16th.

I don't know how much credibility to give this rumor, but as of now, the card only has Rich Franklin vs. Yushin Okami (replacement for Martin Kampmann) as the main event. The Chute Boxe USA website is reporting that Mauricio has signed a contract with the UFC, and the rumor for weeks was that Rua was the first fighter to sign a contract that allows him to fight in both PRIDE and UFC events.

Another interesting thing is the sale of PRIDE to the Fertittas still has not been completed. Today, it was reported that many current PRIDE fighters are suing DSE to get out of their contracts. And the lawsuit against DSE by former PRIDE USA executive Ed Fishman is still going on. Some insiders are speculating that the Fertittas may back out of the deal at the last minute. I'd hate to see PRIDE just fade away like this.

Also, Emelianenko Fedor conducted an interview for his website recently where he said his management has still not come to terms with the new owners for a new contract. Both Fedor and Wanderlei, the biggest stars in Japan for the last 5+ years, are currently without contracts.

I hope the Fertittas are able to keep everything together. Otherwise, the talent that was assembled by PRIDE will move to K1 Heros, BodogFIGHT, and EliteXC. This will spread the talent even more thin than it was before when it was just the UFC and PRIDE. I do not want to see that happen.

May 24, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #218 of 584
K1 Heroes is actually not that bad. Much better Japanese talent in that organization, for one. If Pride were to go down the tube, having the Pride talent sign up with K1 Heroes rather than UFC would actually be preferable in my book, since K1 Heroes is set up much more similarly to Pride than to UFC.

May 24, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #219 of 584
Quote:

K1 Heroes is actually not that bad. Much better Japanese talent in that organization, for one. If Pride were to go down the tube, having the Pride talent sign up with K1 Heroes rather than UFC would actually be preferable in my book, since K1 Heroes is set up much more similarly to Pride than to UFC.

K1 Heros is awesome. They actually have PRIDE beat in terms of production and theatrics. The problem is if PRIDE folded, it's impossible for K1 to just absorb all of PRIDE's best talent. Bodog, EliteXC, Gracie Fighting, Strikeforce, etc. would be bidding for the same fighters that would now become free agents.

I just think it's time we find out who the best fighters in the world are in each division. The Fertittas plan to purchase PRIDE is a significant step in that direction. If they could have interorganizational fights and keep PRIDE running the way it was in 2001-2005, then that would be the best outcome.

May 24, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #220 of 584
Okay, nevermind what I said in the previous posts. Sherdog is reporting today that the deal has been finalized. Sherdog editor Greg Savage was the first to break the news a couple months back that Lorenzo Fertitta was buying PRIDE, so I think their sources are trustworthy.

Now let's hope they get the lawsuits out of the way and re-sign the top talent (Fedor, Wand, Barnett, etc.) to exclusive contracts.

Edit: Dana White confirms Mauricio Shogun is now in the UFC via a conference call with 411mania.com. Shogun may even appear at this weekend's UFC 71 event to challenge the winner of Liddell vs. Jackson 2. Basically, Shogun is the new Wanderlei.
wink.gif

ooheadsoo, if Rampage wins, we could see Shogun vs. Rampage 2 in the octagon. You seem to think Shogun's win in the first fight was a fluke. This could be settled in a rematch. However, I'd rather see a Liddell vs. Shogun title fight. That would be a war. IMO, Rampage's losses to Wand (x2) and Shogun were very convincing. They have his number and I can't see the outcome being any different.

Edit: This is really confusing. Other media outlets are reporting different things concerning the Shogun signing. Sherdog and Dave Meltzer say that Dana did not confirm a Shogun signing. Meltzer hints that the challenger for the winner of Liddell/Rampage is either Wand or Dan Henderson.

May 25, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #221 of 584
Borat
Great news about Shogun being able to fight in UFC, dual contracts could keep both organizations alive........dual contract for Fedor? (He is too good for Bodog Fights)

TUF 5 Series
Best fight of the show so far and it happens in the fighter house after some drinks, Marlon (mr 300+ streetfighter) lives up to his bad boy image, that slam into concrete floor was nasty....

DW is pissed, but they still air the segment to boost ratings, Lauzon had to work to get this victory but still has to be favorite to win it all so far.

Finally Pulver and Penn get into some trash talking when picking final fights.......but seemed to be staged for TV, didn't see any real tempers flare yet.

May 25, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #223 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did i mention that (though he is no longer world champ) i know carlos newton? we spent 3 years together at york university in canada takinc courses

He is now team captian of one of those IFL teams on MY NETWORK program.
I am becoming a bit bored with the whole team fighting concept, just don't have enough quality fighters to make it very interesting.......might make a good "farm system" to develop fighters who might later advance to UFC and PRIDE

May 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #224 of 584
Some insiders are now confirming that the challenger announced tomorrow will not be Shogun, but PRIDE Middleweight and Welterweight title holder Dan Henderson. Sherdog's Greg Savage also mentioned that he was hanging out at Team Quest recently and he said that they were negotiating with the UFC for something. Dan has also stated that the fight he most wants is Chuck Liddell because that would do the most for his career. Maybe this would be the first big fight for the first MMA Super Bowl of UFC vs. PRIDE title holders.

Whoever wins that fight would have 3 belts! Imagine Chuck holding the PRIDE 183 lb. belt. Hahah. No, I'm sure the powers that be would have the winner vacate that belt.

Weigh-ins for UFC 71 will be broadcast live today on the ESPNews channel at 7 PM EST (4 PST). Sportscenter will also be featuring a piece on the event tonight.

May 25, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #225 of 584
I can hardly wait for Liddell vs. Rampage. I really like both fighters and I dont even have a favorite. I hope it doesnt end too fast...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back