UE900 vs Westone 3 Dilemma!
Dec 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PXSS

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of UE900 for $200 brand new but reading all the hype around the westone 3 sale *currently at $160*, it really makes me wonder if I made the right choice. I would buy a pair of W3s compare and keep the one I like the most but I went on a spending spree for the holidays plus am away on vacations so I really REALLY do not have the money to buy these right now even if I were going to sell later.

For the price, which do you think is better and why? I understand that the UE900 may be technically superior to the W3's but I am really just looking for a fun set of IEMs. I've had the Shure SE215 and I really enjoyed them until they got stolen =(

I listen to EDM, house, rock and female vocals mostly. I enjoy bass. Lots of it. But I also enjoy female acapellas, 'omg, like <3em'.

If you've owned both, I would like to hear your thoughts on them, how they stack against each other and if you kept either, none or both.

If you have any other recommendation for under 200 that you think competes with these two beasts I'd like to hear your opinion too.

I will mainly be driving them off my iphone 4-> LOD->Cmoy or iPhone 5S until I get the money to build myself a Gamma2 + Mini^3 portable rig.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!! =D

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I recently bought a pair of UE900 for $200 brand new but reading all the hype around the westone 3 sale *currently at $160*, it really makes me wonder if I made the right choice. I would buy a pair of W3s compare and keep the one I like the most but I went on a spending spree for the holidays plus am away on vacations so I really REALLY do not have the money to buy these right now even if I were going to sell later.

For the price, which do you think is better and why? I understand that the UE900 may be technically superior to the W3's but I am really just looking for a fun set of IEMs. I've had the Shure SE215 and I really enjoyed them until they got stolen =(

I listen to EDM, house, rock and female vocals mostly. I enjoy bass. Lots of it. But I also enjoy female acapellas, 'omg, like <3em'.

If you've owned both, I would like to hear your thoughts on them, how they stack against each other and if you kept either, none or both.

If you have any other recommendation for under 200 that you think competes with these two beasts I'd like to hear your opinion too.

I will mainly be driving them off my iphone 4-> LOD->Cmoy or iPhone 5S until I get the money to build myself a Gamma2 + Mini^3 portable rig.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!! =D

Westone 3 are most likely more fun but I would keep the UE 990 for $200 they have a better resale value, superior in sound quality, look better, ect.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for chiming in.
Those were my thoughts exactly but all the hype is really making me curious hahaha.
Have you owned/heard both? Care to comment on the sonic differences?

Anyone else?

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 13
UE900 has a relatively neutral sound signature, while the W3 has a energetic signature with emphasized bass and treble. I do think both of these IEMs will handle the aforementioned genres equally well.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 13
Explain please

well build quality of the ue900 imo isnt up to par, there is a known cable issue going on with the ue900.

The W3 has good better build quality, no removeable cable but no real cable issues, sound quality imo is better than the ue900 but between the 2 its really up to you weather or not which you like

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Explain please

well build quality of the ue900 imo isnt up to par, there is a known cable issue going on with the ue900.

The W3 has good better build quality, no removeable cable but no real cable issues, sound quality imo is better than the ue900 but between the 2 its really up to you weather or not which you like
What was your experience with the sound quality? Can you compare their sound in more detail?

Thanks for the info'

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 13
I dont have W3 but if you listen to vocals do you notice there is a veil to the sound on the UE900s? joker describes it as the upper mids.

A little bit of EQ does help that but for EDM I think W3 is probably more suitable

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 13
I dont have W3 but if you listen to vocals do you notice there is a veil to the sound on the UE900s? joker describes it as the upper mids.

A little bit of EQ does help that but for EDM I think W3 is probably more suitable
I haven't heard either just yet. I return to the US after New Years, my UE 900 are waiting for me there.

I'll look up his review as I don't quite remember it. Thanks for posting. I should add a poll to this thread.

After going through Jokers reviews again, I think I will stick with the UE's for now. Reason being that I cant stand Sibilance at all! My D2000 went through hell so I could get rid of the damned sibilance in them. The iPhone is also sibilant when listening straight from the headphone jack. So if the W3s have sibilance problems, I will not look their way until I have a proper dac and amp to drive them.

If you do not think sibilance is a problem please comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back