UE700s + sweat = trouble
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

newscane

New Head-Fier
I've owned UE700s for about a year and a half.  Back in June, Logitech replaced my original pair, because I lost all audio in one ear (may have been a cable problem).  Now I'm faced with another warranty replacement.  I last used them on a run a week or two ago, and they were getting sweaty & slipping out.  After the run, I put them away in their case.  Last night, I went to use them, and there was no bass.  My guess is that sweat got inside and somehow damaged them.  I left them out overnight (as per the recommendation on the Logitech site), with no success.  I called them today, and they were willing to replace them, but they don't have the 700s anymore... they were willing to replace them with the UE600s.  I know that the 600s are single driver vs the dual driver 700s, so I'm not too happy about that deal.  But, I figure something is better than nothing.  After I hung up with them, I thought I'd try putting them in a bowl of rice (like what you would do if your phone got wet).  So I guess my question is two-fold: will the rice trick (or anything else) work to save them?  If not, does anyone have a suggestion for getting something better than the 600s out of Logitech?  (It seemed there may have been a bit of a language barrier with the CSR today, so I didn't push it over the phone).

(Side note: I wound up with the 700s after my Super.fi 3s died.  Logitech offered me 50% off a purchase in their online store... so I went with the 700s over something else.)

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 9
The sweat won't be absorbed out by rice, as it contains oil. Since you have nothing to lose, I suggest washing them with soapy (dish detergent, not hand soap) water thoroughly and gently, then putting them in rice or a breezy, dry area to fully dry out. The UE600 would be quite a downgrade from the UE700 I believe.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Before trying to wash at them, I poked at the filters with a pin -- one got pushed down a bit, I can't quite tell what I did to the other one, but it affected the sound.  It's still not right -- one side is actually distorted a bit -- but it sounds closer to "normal".  Seems like the filters may be the only problem.  I think one of my other pairs of UEs was done in when a filter got pushed in too far somehow.  That's one thing I've never really liked about the design of these.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  If I can come up with a way to avoid losing these for UE600s, I'd like to...

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Before trying to wash at them, I poked at the filters with a pin -- one got pushed down a bit, I can't quite tell what I did to the other one, but it affected the sound.  It's still not right -- one side is actually distorted a bit -- but it sounds closer to "normal".

Well, you really shouldn't have done that... I don't know if you can replace the filters on the UE700... I suggest giving UE/Logitech a call? At this point, you physically "altered" the IEMs by poking the filter with the pin so UE CAN use that against you and say that you physically BROKE them, but I doubt they will care.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Well, you really shouldn't have done that... I don't know if you can replace the filters on the UE700... I suggest giving UE/Logitech a call? At this point, you physically "altered" the IEMs by poking the filter with the pin so UE CAN use that against you and say that you physically BROKE them, but I doubt they will care.

I'm going to try calling them again tomorrow, hopefully I have better luck with the CSR.  I'm going to stress the fact that this is my third replacement of the UE700s in a year and a half (my old SuperFi 3s lasted a good 4 years or so before a cable socket gave out).  One 700 replacement was a cable problem, the other was a filter getting pushed in by earwax/cleaning earwax.  IIRC, the filter was flush with the "tip" from the get-go, and almost immediately gets pushed in through normal use (in my experience).

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Also, in one of my previous cases, they actually advocated "cleaning out" the IEM with a needle... so I could always argue I was trying to follow their past advice.  (That was a case where the filter got pushed too far in.)

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Jeez you really have a wax issue don't you? Or maybe a slight case of minor OCD 
biggrin.gif
 Either way, best of luck! I don't think any more advice can be given as they are your only hope! If nothing works, maybe keeping the drivers for a CIEM?

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Jeez you really have a wax issue don't you? Or maybe a slight case of minor OCD 
biggrin.gif
 Either way, best of luck! I don't think any more advice can be given as they are your only hope! If nothing works, maybe keeping the drivers for a CIEM?

Had a wax issue :)  A while back I got one of those ear-cleaning tools, I now get most of the wax out before it builds up to crazy levels.  When I first got the UE700s, I was using them as my IEMs for running, and was constantly pushing them into my ear as they slipped out because of sweat.  After the first (or second?) replacement, I switched to using cheapo earphones (talking $15 or less from Target) on my runs, and reserving my UE700s for other types of listening.  But the other day, my cheapos "broke" (a rubber ring went MIA, meaning they wouldn't sit comfortably) and I used my UE700s... which I think is what brought me to my current problem.

I would consider keeping the drivers, but I have to send the IEMs back if I want to get a replacement.  Of course, I don't know if I really want the UE600s -- skimming some past threads, it seems they're a little more bass-heavy than the 700s, which is not what I like -- but something's better than nothing.  My most pressing need for a decent IEM is when I'm doing audio recording (as a fan) at concerts -- I count on my IEMs for noise isolation as I monitor the start of my recording.

If I weren't about to get a replacement from them, I'd ditch Logitech/UE and go for something else.  But given that they're going to give me a new pair, I sort of feel locked in.  It's too bad they don't have any more 700s in stock.  Unless I can talk my way into a pair of 900s as a replacement... :wink:

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 9
You should just take the UE600 sale them and buy a pair of Sony MH1C's which sound as good as the UE700 and they only cost around $25 or $30 but you never know you might like the UE600 as much as the 700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back