UE18 or JH13/16 Please help me choose!
May 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

contraz1978

New Head-Fier
I am about to purchase customs and I am not sure which ones to get. I narrowed it down to JH13/16 (probably the 13) and the UE18 but have not seen many reviews on the UE18. Yesterday I went for impressions and I was able to sample all of these headphones and I was blown away by the UE18. However, the 13/16 were the older version and not the new freq-phase models. So I am not sure how the newer models would compare to the UE.

This is what I gathered so far, and I would greatly appreciated if the more knowledgeable readers can assist me.

Packaging - UE18 hands down

Customer Service - I heard JH is much better than UE

Sound - Forgive my ignorance or lack of jargon but I felt that the UE18 made the music come alive without turning up the volume too high. Everything was so crisp and detailed as if each and every musical instruments was vying for my attention. When I turned up the 13's I started to hear it as well, but not like the UE18. The 13's seems to be "fast" and "clear" and the 16's just seemed a little off. I am not a bass head but would love my music to "speak" to me in a accurate way. I am also concerned that the UE is a very old model verse the JH models; meaning no new versions have come out in some time.

What are you thoughts oh knowledgeable ones?

Thank you very much!

May 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
I am about to purchase customs and I am not sure which ones to get. I narrowed it down to JH13/16 (probably the 13) and the UE18 but have not seen many reviews on the UE18. Yesterday I went for impressions and I was able to sample all of these headphones and I was blown away by the UE18. However, the 13/16 were the older version and not the new freq-phase models. So I am not sure how the newer models would compare to the UE.

This is what I gathered so far, and I would greatly appreciated if the more knowledgeable readers can assist me.

Packaging - UE18 hands down

Customer Service - I heard JH is much better than UE

Sound - Forgive my ignorance or lack of jargon but I felt that the UE18 made the music come alive without turning up the volume too high. Everything was so crisp and detailed as if each and every musical instruments was vying for my attention. When I turned up the 13's I started to hear it as well, but not like the UE18. The 13's seems to be "fast" and "clear" and the 16's just seemed a little off. I am not a bass head but would love my music to "speak" to me in a accurate way. I am also concerned that the UE is a very old model verse the JH models; meaning no new versions have come out in some time.

What are you thoughts oh knowledgeable ones?

Thank you very much!

If you want accuracy, you should look at UE in ear reference monitors. I'll post how I felt about JH audio products.
I personally preferred JH13 to JH16 when I heard it. 
I ended up getting the UERM, so I'll tell you why.

I feel like UE has good service. As soon as my impression got there, they emailed me with a confirmation, and one of their rep contacted me. I asked him many questions, and he was usually quick about answering them. Also, it takes 2 weeks for UE to make ciem while it takes at least 1 month and couple weeks for JH to make their iem. Also, if you can push your budget, try UE PRM. It is thought to be the best monitors by lots of head-fiers as you tune the sound.

May 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 21
Jude of this site has Both the PRM and JH13 FP. He gets a better ear to ear balance with the PRM because he can compensate for his ears being a bit different from on another but still thinks the new JH13FP quite special. Perhpas you could PM him for an unbiased take. http://www.head-fi.org/u/1/jude

JH is under a month at the moment.

I can warn you that the JH13 is very revealing. My sources sound from bright to dry and warm to cold. Plain great when used with something as neutral as they are. The bass sounds right to me but those that like analytical may feel it slight touched up. I don't like analytical or enhanced bass.

May 1, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 21
Now that I think of it, if you like UE18, just buy a UE18. I had many head-fiers recommend me HD598, but once I got it, I was disappointed, and I never use it. Demo is the safest way to ensure you'll like a headphone or a iem.

May 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 21
It's hard to say. I don't know of too many who own both. I've heard both demos and didn't find one better than the other but just different. However that was in meet conditions and well they were demos.

May 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 21
Personal preference really, I did a lot of research and knew the JH16 would be ciem endgame for me.  They say a big part of the fun is trying different gear, but I can't say that holds true for customs.  You want to be one and done!

May 2, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 21
Both JH13 and UE18 has bit forward bass and engaging sound sig. UERM has a perfectly flat sound sig with perfect balance. I chose UERM over UE18, but it's all preference. I feel that though if you like UE18, you'll probably like JH13 as well.

May 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 21
Personal preference, you should give the UERMs a try too. Like rawrster, I tried both the UERM and UE18 at a meet, with demos and preferred the UERM for its clarity and linear sound signature. Like others have said, UE takes about 2 weeks to make your CIEM whereas JH might take a bit longer. I also found UE's customer service to be fantastic, atleast with Mike Dias. 

If you can wait for it... UE gives 20% off if you go to a meet where there are UE reps.

Quote:
Personal preference really, I did a lot of research and knew the JH16 would be ciem endgame for me.  They say a big part of the fun is trying different gear, but I can't say that holds true for customs.  You want to be one and done!

I agree here. You take a huge loss if you get a CIEM and then decide that you want to sell it. Then when you get a new CIEM or buy used, you'll have to get new ear impressions or reshell the used IEM. Plus if you get custom art, that adds to the cost too (I think it's worth the extra $$$).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back