UE TripleFi 10 Rev4 or Rev5?
Nov 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AONihilist

New Head-Fier
I finally found a shop selling these and I want to get them. I've successfully secured a 20% discount but I realized that their last two left in stock were different. One is a Rev4 and the other a Rev5.

What's the difference between the two? It appears that the accessories are identical, but I noticed that there was a difference in cable quality. One looks more towards my ER-4PT's cable while the other looks more like the cabling you find in modern Logitech UE.

Which one should I get? Same price for both, but I cannot afford both at the moment.

P.S. They are TripleFi 10 Pro, if it makes any difference.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 16
Nov 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 16
  im curious as to how you decide which is which revision wise.

i was thinking that there might be revisions between when JH was at ue and logitech owning it...i know the boxes somewhat give you a idea of how new to old the tf10's are....but dont know how to say if there is rev?

I didn't even know there were differences between TF10... I presumed a number on the package somewhere is what troubles AONihilist. 
In doubt get the newer one (rev5) 

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 16
  I didn't even know there were differences between TF10... I presumed a number on the package somewhere is what troubles AONihilist. 
In doubt get the newer one (rev5) 

now this is subjective, but ive heard that some iem's sound differently. but i havent had nor ever tried multiple tf10 to get a idea if there is a difference.

here are some of the packaging i could find if you can find more post:

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 16
Post your question here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/309321/ultimate-ears-triple-fi-10-appreciation-thread

However, I must say I never heard of differences between revs. 
I may go there later, but since I've started this thread, I might as well continue here unless no one can give me a definitive answer.

im curious as to how you decide which is which revision wise.

i was thinking that there might be revisions between when JH was at ue and logitech owning it...i know the boxes somewhat give you a idea of how new to old the tf10's are....but dont know how to say if there is rev?
Yes. There is this serial number thing at the bottom right of the back side. It would have a string of numbers, then a Rev-something.

now this is subjective, but ive heard that some iem's sound differently. but i havent had nor ever tried multiple tf10 to get a idea if there is a difference.

here are some of the packaging i could find if you can find more post:

It's like the fourth one, exept that the ear tips are already on. They both show TripleFi 10 Pro. The most noticeable difference on the two boxes would be that one is a darker color, and one has this semi-faded caption which the other doesn't have (on the side of the box).

It's just the different cable as they changed suppliers over time. The ear pieces are all the same. I'd get whichever cable looked sturdier.
So there essentially isn't any tuning difference? Just cable differences? Won't that affect the sound produced as well?

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 16
Well... I've found another offer I simply couldn't resist. 50% discount.

Problem is, I realized that it was that it was a far newer revision, with the newer Logitech UE packaging, like the UE 600/700/900. Also, instead of saying "TripleFi 10 Pro", it just says "TripleFi 10". Any difference between the two, or is it a simple renaming?

EDIT: There was a rename. It's the same thing. I'll link the thread I read here if anyone's interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529544/triplefi-10-vs-triplefi10-pro

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 16
How much did you get them for? I wouldnt worry abput all the revisions on mfg boxes.

In all honesty ive only heafd one person say there.was.a.diffefemce in the iems sonically buti dont know for aure he a/b them or just to him they sounded different.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 16
How much did you get them for? I wouldnt worry abput all the revisions on mfg boxes.

In all honesty ive only heafd one person say there.was.a.diffefemce in the iems sonically buti dont know for aure he a/b them or just to him they sounded different.

From the original price of SGD$684, I managed to find the shop that was selling it at a roadshow and they were selling at SGD$389. Then, I bargained an extra 10% off.

It's about $340 something. I can't exactly remember. Yes, it's nearly a full 50% discount.

From what I know, the cables have changed ever since the first revision to the next. Also, from what I know, the tuning is identical, so driver-wise, minimal sound difference. However, cable changes can result in a different sound signature, but I don't want to spend double of what I have already spent, so I won't be able to A/B them, but IMO, I think there will be a difference. Slight though.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 16
Okay. So my friend got the TripleFi 10 Rev5 while I got the one with the Logitech UE packaging, presumably Rev 6.

A/Bed them and found that the Rev 5 appeared to have a slight, but noticeable, lower-mid-bass bump. It's otherwise identical, including cabling. The Rev 5 has an L-jack, like my Rev 6.

One other thing would be that it isn't as well in seperating the details for the Rev 5 compared to the Rev 6. I attribute this to the lack of burn-in hours (I believe in this, but you don't have to). It sounds all bunched up, IMO. The TF10 Rev 6 is nearly identical in detailing to my UE 900, except that it's less forward. The Rev 5 is simply a mess. As said, I believe it to be a lack of burn-in hours, but it may be designed like that or a flawed production line (which explains the repackaged Rev 6, which has, although exactly the same, slightly different parts to the packaging/quality control).

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 16
well its interesting you have 2 diff tf10's to test and see if you notice any audible differences.... enjoy, they are excellent iem's i wont sell mine this time around

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 16
No offense to TF10 fans, but I personally prefer the UE 900's detailing, which is more forward compared to the TF10.

However, I do like the TF10's sound signature and it's really awesome, clean bass. It almost never muddies the sound while still being a strong presence. Special.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 16
No offense to TF10 fans, but I personally prefer the UE 900's detailing, which is more forward compared to the TF10.

However, I do like the TF10's sound signature and it's really awesome, clean bass. It almost never muddies the sound while still being a strong presence. Special.

well the tf10 has a more V shaped sound...i found different cables or if yuou like to eq you can give it a little more mid range...there nothing wrong with liking one more than another thats your opinion everyone is entitled to them. i dont like the 900's connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back