UE Triple Fi 10 issue with fit
Jul 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thewiggler

New Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair of the Triple Fi 10s despite having a fit issue with the Super Fi 5s. They seem to lose their seal pretty quickly, although the comply moulded buds seem better.
With the silicone tips, I'm not sure how much is due to the weight but I think its mainly the fact that the one's supplied are more rigid and slippery, so the sideways pressure holding them in your ear canal is enough to push them out because they aren't grippy enough.

Can anyone recommend a solution because I am sure there is an existing earbuds which work well as an alternative?

I've always been an audio lover, but I am new to this whole thing of headphone expertise. Any advice anyone?

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Other eartips?

Foam's usually comfortable (Comply...) but may not last very long.

A lot of people (including me) really like Sony hybrids, which are silicone eartips with a harder core - they're kinda like a mix of foam and silicone in fit and sound.

However, they're expensive considering only one size (ES, S, M, L) will fit and you must by all... so try an eBay seller called 'lostearbuds' (just search for 'Sony' on his eBay page). He sells hybrid tips that are exactly the same as genuine Sony tips but much, much cheaper and in any size mix.

There are also bi-flange tips on eBay (try 2 pairs if you're interested, about $2 on eBay).

Have you tried the flip-flop mod? This is basically inserting the IEMs (earphones) into your ears the other way round (so the UE logo faces your head. You'll have to switch the L + R cable ends though, or you'll have sound flip-flopped (i.e. right channel in left ear...) too.

Also, as a last resort, you could reshell the TF10 into customs, if you're not worried or concerned about warranty, etc.
Maybe it would be a good idea if they break out of warranty.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Flip mod, switch the driver, wear them backward.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Well the first question you should ask is why you bought a phone that has worse ergonomic and fit issues than the previous earphone.

You can do the flip mod and use different tips. Some alternatives can be sony hybrids (real or fake doesn't matter), ebay triple flange tips or any silicone tips that fit the larger nozzle really.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 9
I never had any fit problems with any IEMs until the triple fi 10.  Sony Hybrids fit great for me, I almost sold the triple fis though I love the sound.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 9
I got mine customized by Fisher because I couldn't stand the fit.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Well the first question you should ask is why you bought a phone that has worse ergonomic and fit issues than the previous earphone.

You can do the flip mod and use different tips. Some alternatives can be sony hybrids (real or fake doesn't matter), ebay triple flange tips or any silicone tips that fit the larger nozzle really.

Quote:
I got mine customized by Fisher because I couldn't stand the fit.

Quote:
Other eartips?

Foam's usually comfortable (Comply...) but may not last very long.

A lot of people (including me) really like Sony hybrids, which are silicone eartips with a harder core - they're kinda like a mix of foam and silicone in fit and sound.

However, they're expensive considering only one size (ES, S, M, L) will fit and you must by all... so try an eBay seller called 'lostearbuds' (just search for 'Sony' on his eBay page). He sells hybrid tips that are exactly the same as genuine Sony tips but much, much cheaper and in any size mix.

There are also bi-flange tips on eBay (try 2 pairs if you're interested, about $2 on eBay).

Have you tried the flip-flop mod? This is basically inserting the IEMs (earphones) into your ears the other way round (so the UE logo faces your head. You'll have to switch the L + R cable ends though, or you'll have sound flip-flopped (i.e. right channel in left ear...) too.

Also, as a last resort, you could reshell the TF10 into customs, if you're not worried or concerned about warranty, etc.
Maybe it would be a good idea if they break out of warranty.

Great response, thankyou people.
In answer to your question rawrster I found the sound quality of the super fi 5 so compelling I have to see what the 'better' version was like.
logwed, if necessary, how do I go about doing that? Is it expensive?
aameerp, thanks for a really helpful reply. Is the flip mod a complex procedure, can I damage them in the process? I will certainly have a play with the various tips you mention - it sounds like I will find a solution among them. :)

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 9
remolding can be expensive. You have to get earmold impressions from an audiologist which typically costs around $50 and then get a custom cable which is typically $30 or so if you get the Westone ES cable and then you can go through Fisher or UM for remolding which is $80 +shipping and $159 (I'm not sure about this one however). So it's around $200 and up or so. It cost me around $200 or so for everything with Fisher including shipping remolds and cable.

The flip mod is easy although it may be difficult to remove the cables on your first try. It took me quite a bit of effort to remove the cables. You basically flip the right and left housings. So the left housing goes on the right side cable and vice versa.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 9
I think moving the cable connection left and right very slightly and slowly while you pull will help.

Flip-flop mod seems very popular.
To be honest, the very first time I say them and tried them, I assumed the flip-flop was the normal way to wear them - and I thought the L+R indicators were mixed up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back