UE Triple.Fi 10 goes Custom
Dec 2, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #46 of 72
I've never done a self-impression kit, but it seems like it would just be getting the cotton and mold deep enough in the ear?  At least that what it seems like to me anyways.  Other than that it seems pretty straight forward

Quote:
I've heard of good results doing molds with a self impression kit. I imagine not much could go wrong if you read the instructions carefully, and watch videos. The one kozee offers actually includes 3 kits, so you get a couple tries. I think some of the other diy kits are like that too.
Basically if you're trying to make something affordable through a group buy, the answer is no. Unless it's through a sponsor in the sponsor threads.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #47 of 72

Quote:
I've never done a self-impression kit, but it seems like it would just be getting the cotton and mold deep enough in the ear?  At least that what it seems like to me anyways.  Other than that it seems pretty straight forward

I also ordered an impression kit myself (it comes with 5 impressions). I figured it would be very expensive to get them done here in Hawaii and from the reviews I've read people tend to have better luck doing it themselves than going to audiologist who usually mess it up and still will charge you for a second round.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #48 of 72
Good evening,

I just got my TF-10's back from InEarz and I am really happy with what they sent back to me.  The sound is as I recall it but appears to be better defined from top to bottom.  A lot has to do with the comfort; I loved the sound of the regular TF-10 but I could never get what I though was a satisfactory seal.  Those of you who have had Etymotic ER4 and ER6 know what the benefit of a good seal is. 

I had an audiologists office do the impressions.  This was the second set of impressions I have done with that office, the first was for a set of Stax SR-003.  The Stax were done because I just wanted to do it and I was not really expecting much.  They are now one of my favorite possesions and what I listen to when I want to relax (classical, a-capella, chamber, voaclist).  The TF-10 is my portable/work/outside the house system.  I listen to to a pretty wide range: Blues, Jazz, Rock, Metal, Rap, 80's, 90's, 40's (ha ha).  If this is any indication of how happy I am I hae seen fit to have ordered a HotAudio DV-1 amp (digital volume control and a balance control, at 55 years old my hearing is not quite as balanced as I want and I can't wait for the ability to compensate), and a Fiio L9 LOD for my iPod 5th gen. I want to do this a bit right while not going too nuts. (OK, I'll fess-up.  I ordered the custom personalized case from UE too.  Now do you get the picture?)

Here are my experiences.

1. Use the 1 inch bite block.  When getting the first set of impressions for the Stax I noticed a "bubbling" sound as if the impression material was pulling away from the ear as the material set up.  I did not use the bite block on that set.  On the set for the UE TF-10's I used the bite block and heard no such sound.  I am really happy with the seal with the TF-10 that InEarz did.  It is almost "vacuum" like when taking them out of my ears. 

2. I also specified cotton plugs on the second set per instructions.  I think they used foam rubber the first time.  The plug material goes kind of deep in the ear canal, farther than I think I would want to do myself.  Another good reason to go to an office.

3. The audiologists office that I went to was actually a "hearing center" where they sell lots of hearing aids.  The technician who took the molds has lots of experience just doing molds and was expert at it.  Also, I think that in order to be a good subject for a mold you need to experience it more than one time.  I think I knew how to hold still, relax the jaw, and use the bite block.  Knowing what to expect makes the experience interactive and gave me a feeling of control over the process.  I do not think you can end up with a top notch product without a really good ear mold to start with.  No substitute for experience.

I hope you find my comments helpful.  Happy Listening!!!

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #50 of 72

Quote:
Good evening,

I just got my TF-10's back from InEarz and I am really happy with what they sent back to me.  The sound is as I recall it but appears to be better defined from top to bottom.  A lot has to do with the comfort; I loved the sound of the regular TF-10 but I could never get what I though was a satisfactory seal.  Those of you who have had Etymotic ER4 and ER6 know what the benefit of a good seal is. 

I hope you find my comments helpful.  Happy Listening!!!

Thank you for this informative post. I noticed you're in SF also, can you tell me where you got your impressions made?

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #51 of 72

Quote:
Thank you for this informative post. I noticed you're in SF also, can you tell me where you got your impressions made?

Sent you a PM. Peter

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #52 of 72
The amp and the case came today.  We are getting close.  I am waiting for the Fiio dock which could be here by the end of the week.  The amp has lots of power and now I have a balance control.  As soon as I get the dock I will post in the "Post Your Portable Rig" thread.

iPod 5th -->Fiio L-9 -->Hotaudio DV-1-->TF-10's (InEarz custom). 

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #54 of 72
Any word on if there is going to be a group buy of any sort?  I would also be very curious how a TF10 custom stacks up against other customs, particular those of JH Audio (given Jerry Harvey holds a patent on the TF10).

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #55 of 72
Ok, again, Jude has not approved a group buy yet and that's what everyone has been waiting for. A company has been screwed before on a group buy and sold at a loss so he is very weary of these group buys.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #56 of 72
Even if there is no official group buy, we can at least share our experiences of getting TF10 customs here.

I am getting my impressions done on Thu, found an UE recommended audiologist in Manhattan who does it for $50! Looking forward to that. I think my ACS custom tip impressions for Ety HF3s was a bit more than that.

I am still undecided about the cable. Either I'll use the TF10vi cable with mic or if I am lucky, Westone's new talk cable will come out soon and won't be crazy expensive and will work with the custom TF10 ports.

Let's see how this goes!

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #57 of 72
Even if there is no official group buy, we can at least share our experiences of getting TF10 customs here.

I am getting my impressions done on Thu, found an UE recommended audiologist in Manhattan who does it for $50! Looking forward to that. I think my ACS custom tip impressions for Ety HF3s was a bit more than that.

I am still undecided about the cable. Either I'll use the TF10vi cable with mic or if I am lucky, Westone's new talk cable will come out soon and won't be crazy expensive and will work with the custom TF10 ports.

Let's see how this goes!

Oooooo a westone cable with mic would be awesome!

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #58 of 72

Quote:

I want to get a cable that is to bring the mids forward. Does anybody know of this cable? I wonder if I should just use silver cable as that does improve mids as well as treble and bass.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #59 of 72

Quote:

I agree but, can't use a mic cable with an amp or an amp/dac.  Someday, somebody will come up with the total solution.  Great IEM's need a great source in order to really hear what they can do.  I do not have great but I am pretty happy with mine (for the moment). 

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #60 of 72
removed duplicate post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back