UE Triple.Fi 10 goes Custom
Nov 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

riffola

Head-Fier
While I wait for my Triple.Fi 10s to arrive, I am wondering which of the many custom makers is the best option out there.

We have Unique Melody, Fischer Audio, and 1964 Ears.

The first two are economical, the last one is $200.

Which of these is the best bang for the buck? Also any suggestions for a good cable with mic & volume control?
I am not just going for the cheapest option, I want something that'll last me for years to come and something that is very good quality work. So if you guys feel 1964 is the way to go, I'll budget the extra cash as needed, I just want to make the most of my TF10s.

Edited to remove InEarz, which was listed as Unique Melody's DBA.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 72
From what I hear, Unique Melody makes the best molds, maybe someone else can pitch in?

1964 ears I have heard is good, but not up to UMs level.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 72

Quote:
From what I hear, Unique Melody makes the best molds, maybe someone else can pitch in?
1964 ears I have heard is good, but not up to UMs level.

Depending on where a person lives, one of these may require shipping overseas and back (more expense and weeks-long wait times) for re-fits, etc. It definitely something to consider.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 72
to me, the whole point of reshelling the tf10 is to get one of the cheapest customs available.  i wouldnt spend as much as it would cost to ship overseas and get a reshell from um.  not to mention refits if needed.  id go with the cheapest route as this is, for most, just an entry way into customs. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 72
I'm more interested in adding an extra driver (or three) to the TF10s to make them a "true" custom and not just a better fitting version of the sound I currently get from the TF10, which I don't have a problem with in terms of fit (I don't wear them out of the house though, since they look so...funny). But then there's the matter of the price, which, as a mostly broke college student, is almost prohibitively expensive for me. In some ways, merely getting them reshelled would be "settling", which I'm not sure I want to do.

So, does anyone have any insight on the matter? Preferably someone with experience with one of the TF10 remolds with additional drivers. Is the sound justifiably better or would "settling" not be so bad?

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 72

Quote:
I'm more interested in adding an extra driver (or three) to the TF10s to make them a "true" custom and not just a better fitting version of the sound I currently get from the TF10, which I don't have a problem with in terms of fit (I don't wear them out of the house though, since they look so...funny). But then there's the matter of the price, which, as a mostly broke college student, is almost prohibitively expensive for me. In some ways, merely getting them reshelled would be "settling", which I'm not sure I want to do.

So, does anyone have any insight on the matter? Preferably someone with experience with one of the TF10 remolds with additional drivers. Is the sound justifiably better or would "settling" not be so bad?

yea i wonder that too.  but 279+15 int shipping+cable (doesnt come with it in that price) +100 for the TF10, me thinks the dream earz aud5x would be better for only about 100 more. sorry to respond. i know youre looking for someone with experience with the extra driver. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 72
I've seen one person get an extra mid driver added I think it was by UM, I agree with the above poster you're getting close to customs territory The Thousand Sounds or Dream Ears..

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 72

Quote:

People who add extra drivers almost always end up trying to sell their ad-hoc custom at a loss later. It's really, really not so simple as "just pop on another driver".

You'd be making an expensive mistake.

If the TF10 fits, enjoy it and save up for something better later.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 72

Quote:
People who add extra drivers almost always end up trying to sell their ad-hoc custom at a loss later. It's really, really not so simple as "just pop on another driver".

You'd be making an expensive mistake.

If the TF10 fits, enjoy it and save up for something better later.

well to be honest, any custom purchase would be sold at a large loss later.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 72
well to be honest, any custom purchase would be sold at a large loss later.
not if you enjoy the custom so much you don't sell it at all. That's the point.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 72
While I get that the TF10 is uncomfortable for many (I may or may not consider myself one of those "many", need to use them awhile longer), are there reports of sound quality improvement with a custom reshelling?  The sound of the TF10 (stock) is mostly ok.  I'm a bit of a basshead and am finding the TF10 to lack the low end proficiency found in my Atrios and DT990/600's.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 72

Quote:
While I get that the TF10 is uncomfortable for many (I may or may not consider myself one of those "many", need to use them awhile longer), are there reports of sound quality improvement with a custom reshelling?  The sound of the TF10 (stock) is mostly ok.  I'm a bit of a basshead and am finding the TF10 to lack the low end proficiency found in my Atrios and DT990/600's.

That's because it's supposed to. It's not supposed to approach Atrio level bass. It's supposed to be slightly elevated, but not authoritative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back