UE 700 vs UE 900
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xalem90

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

here's my question.

What are the real differences between this two model?

And the UE 900 worth 400$ instead of the 80$ of the UE 700 in parameters of price/quality?

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 15
Worth is relative to different people. What sort of music do you listen to?

While the UE900 will handle most of the things you can throw at it, if you have specific music preferences there are cheaper IEMs that would cater to you better.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Worth is relative to different people. What sort of music do you listen to?
While the UE900 will handle most of the things you can throw at it, if you have specific music preferences there are cheaper IEMs that would cater to you better.

Mainly i used to listen pretty much everything from Rock, Pop, RnB etc.. (excluding electronic music like Tecno, House, Dubstep and all that kind of genre)

bands of reference could be: bon jovi, barry white, john mayer, aerosmith, coldplay, breaking benjamin, d'angelo, michael jackson etc..

so i think that i'm looking for an IEM with:
vote 10/10 - Excellent Definition sound in all the range from 20hz to 20khz (to avoid the "muddiness" and effects usual in the cheap IEM)
vote  9/10 - Perfect Fit has to be really comfortable for long listening
vote  8/10 - Good Isolation (more isolation is welcome but not necessary)
vote  8/10 - Good Soundstage (more soundstage is welcome but not necessary)
vote  7/10 - Sufficient in Microphonics (more is welcome but not necessary)
vote  7/10 - Sufficient Cable quality the sturdiness is not a primary target i'm a caring person (detachable is preferred but not necessary)

Price Range: from 100 to around 600$ (exclude the Custom IEM! i'm looking for Universal IEM)

- Treble: Slightly airy and emphasized (not neutral or muffled)
- Mid: Neutral/smooth (or even slightly recessed but always clear not muffled)
- Bass: Neutral bass (slightly emphasized in the sub-basses like from 20 to 50hz)

ps: i'm not a bass head (probably i'm more a treble head) but i will enjoy to hear the right amount of basses. present but not exaggerated!

As a reference: i always used the Akg K271 mkII.
Now, i don't know if are a good or perfect headphones in terms of soundstage, sound quality etc..
but one thing i can surely tell you is that has a slightly lack of bass (and i'm not a bass head)
that i adjusted on the EQ with a +5/10db now bass are present but a bit "muddy".
this is the usual EQ that i use with my K271: ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/49501468.png/ )

in the follow tab there's the K271 vs UE700 they looks really similar and the UE 700 cover the lack in the bass area of the K271! what do you think?
( http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=2901&graphID%5B%5D=3481&graphID%5B%5D=3271 )

i was considering also the Grado GR10 but has a huge lack of treble around the 14 to 20khz.

Unfortunately i couldn't find the frequency response of the UE900.

however any suggestion on other brands or products are more than welcome!!

Thank you.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 15
Ok the UE900 has very neutral (amazingly punchy) bass after the mini-bore has been filled. It has slightly forward and clear mids, and the treble is well extended but does not have amazing presence. If you are a treblehead I would recommend the TF10.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

- Treble: Slightly airy and emphasized (not neutral or muffled)
- Mid: Neutral/smooth (or even slightly recessed but always clear not muffled)
- Bass: Neutral bass (slightly emphasized in the sub-basses like from 20 to 50hz)

ps: i'm not a bass head (probably i'm more a treble head) but i will enjoy to hear the right amount of basses. present but not exaggerated!

What you just described here is an analytical sound.  Maybe try a Phonak PFE?  Etymotic?  Brainwavz B2?  Fischer Audio DBA-02? 

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

What you just described here is an analytical sound.  Maybe try a Phonak PFE?  Etymotic?  Brainwavz B2?  Fischer Audio DBA-02? 

i would like to prove a pair of those IEM's but unfortunately here in italy we don't have electronic stores that show demo models.

are all brand new closed in boxes without a chance to test, except if you buying it..

I have to believe and put faith in your comments and experience :)

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Well I'd say the TF10 has the airy treble, the recessed and clear mid and has great sub bass rumble. But if you wanted strictly neutral go for an etymotic

according to the frequency response the TF10 seems really good even in treble is good but not at all in fact i'm a bit concerned about the huge gap from 15 to 20khz see here:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2580/2ultim1akg.jpg

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 15
Hi!

I have the UE 700 from the "first stock".  The second stock has diffent tips, and maybe they changed something in the sound signature to.
Mine UE 700 has high quality mids and highs. They are forward in the music. It sounds cristal clear and has excellent instrument separation and detail. The lows are not big in quantity, but I think they have good quality if the seal is right. I listen to trance music, and I think the bass is just right. I use non-stock tips.
Mine works great, but I heard about cable problems.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Hi!

I have the UE 700 from the "first stock".  The second stock has diffent tips, and maybe they changed something in the sound signature to.
Mine UE 700 has high quality mids and highs. They are forward in the music. It sounds cristal clear and has excellent instrument separation and detail. The lows are not big in quantity, but I think they have good quality if the seal is right. I listen to trance music, and I think the bass is just right. I use non-stock tips.
Mine works great, but I heard about cable problems.

I had a pair from the first stock, which I had to get replaced via warranty (which they were super cool about, btw) and they sent me a pair from the second batch. It comes with two sets of Complys.

Seconded about the mids and highs. Smooth and detailed. Highs are very crisp, bordering on the bright side. The bass can be a little lacking at first but it seems to come in nicely after some burn-in. I have the bass boost turned on with my E10 and they get low and handle everything quite nicely. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 15
Hey. A bit late but do consider the Rockit R-50. With maybe foam tips to kill of the sibilance. Great detail, soundstage. Strong bass with good sub bass, extended treble but with sibilance. Mids are neutral. Very good price/performance. But take some time with tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back