UE 600 (SuperFi 5) vs Etymotic mc5 vs Etymotic hf5
May 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SACD01

New Head-Fier
Which one should I get? Those 3 earphones are in the same price range, or any other recommendations? Thanks! My ears are relatively smaller than an average person's...

May 18, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 17
I haven't heard the UE600... but if I am going by bang-for-buck... I'd guess it is the HF5. The HF5 anyway, if you like the cold, analytical sound of the Ety's.

May 18, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 17
The Etymotics (meaning both MC5 and HF5) are designed to have deep insertion for isolation. So, if you are looking for an IEM that'll have a shallow insertion, you might want to overlook them.

May 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 17
UE600 = SuperFi5. Logitech has been systematically renaming the UE product line since they took over. It's a decent earphone but very different in sound from the HF5. Colored, mid-forward, rolled off on either end of the frequency spectrum. From a technical perspective, the HF5 walks circles around it but that won't be much consolation if you hate the Ety sound. If you have small ears and are worried about Ety fit, though, you may want to consider jumping up to the UE700 instead. Very small earphone and not nearly as deep-fitting as the HF5.

May 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 17
I purchased both the 500vi and the 600vi (same as the UE600) and I was less than impressed with both.  The 500 I didn't even give a chance because the cable was so bad (I hate flat cables), but the 600 I gave a good 100 hours and I was ok with it, but overall it just wasn't great for the price.  There are much better options around 100 bucks than the 600.  

Specifically something like the Brainwavz M3 is a much more well rounded earphone that beats the 600 in almost ever facet.  I think comfort and the cable are the only things the 600 has going for it...soundwise, the M3 is superior.

May 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 17
The HF5 is a bit more expensive than the MC5, but the difference in price is completely worth it, IMO.  The MC5, while OK, is a mild departure from the Ety signature and sound.  It is a dynamic driver as opposed to balanced armature driver, like all other Ety phones.  The HF5 is a killer IEM and will open your ears to sounds you might not have heard before in your music.

In contrast to what MaxwellDemon says about the Ety line, they do have to sound cold.  With a little bit of low end EQ, or an amp with bass boost, the HF5 can sound very full and give sufficient bass to satisfy, unless you are a big bass-head.

Also, the HF5 does not have to be inserted deep in the ear canal IF you use either Comply T100 or Shure black foam ("Olive") tips with them.  Both these tips allow for a more typical in-the-canal insertion, and their biggest feature is their multi-hour comfort.  I'm partial to the Shure Olives due to longer life.

May 18, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for all the advices, really appreciate it!
I prefer an analytical sound signature, no warmth is definitely fine. Does $55 USD justify the upgrade from UE 600 to UE 700? If not I'll just get the UE 600. Also, is there any other analytical earphones around $100 USD? Thanks!

What about Klipsch S4 or Klipsch X5 or Klipsch Custom 1?

May 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 17
The MC5 is not "warm" or "cold" or "analytical" or anything in particular, just pretty much dead neutral. The pattern of comments about it around here has been that only classical music listeners (myself among them) seem to like it, everybody else not so much. That's probably not surprising.

May 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 17
Definitely RE0. I don't agree with the negative comments about the UE600 on here but they definitely aren't neutral. I would actually go for HF5 if I were you. Compared to the Etys the UE phones are coloured, and less accurate as joker says. But they are also - to my ears - more spacious, airy and fun.

Etys always sound small scale to me. But if you want to hear every detail of the music and aren't too fussed about soundstage go with Ety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back