uDac 2?
Aug 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
What? Better the uDac?

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Yeah, and to think I just got my uDAC a month ago. The good news is that NuForce seems to have an upgrade program for the current uDAC user in October (more waiting, :p).

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 14
Yeah, the upgrade program is pretty excellent really. It seems they've actually replaced the uDAC with the uDAC-2 on their site, when they could have easily released it alongside the original for a higher price and offered no upgrade program at all.

Loving my uDAC now, can't wait for the updated model. Feeling like a well-taken-care-of customer right about now.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 14
This seems like a sneaky way to up the price to me.  They discontinue the $99 udac model and replace it with a udac2 model for 30 dollars more with minimal changes?  Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 14
any better compared to other amp/dac with same price range?

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
This seems like a sneaky way to up the price to me.  They discontinue the $99 udac model and replace it with a udac2 model for 30 dollars more with minimal changes?  Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

why do you think they're minimal? even if the only change is the pot I will go for it anyways, it's a great little dac/amp with a terrible pot. Now that the amp circuit is changed and dac as well, at 139$ it still holds its stand against many other similar devices out there in the same price range (not to mention most of those are from China)

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 14

How do they compare to ibasso or fiio products? or anyother amp/dac at that range

Quote:
The changes are not minimal. See my uDAC-2 First Impressions thread.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 14

How do they compare to ibasso or fiio products? or anyother amp/dac at that range

In my uDAC-2 impressions thread I said it was important to read my original uDAC impressions, and then to look at what I thought about the improvements in the uDAC-2 in the new thread. And, whatever I said about the original uDAC vs iBasso or others, the uDAC-2 builds on and does better in every way.

Look in the dedicated source forum for my thread on the original and version 2. I'm on my iPhone on vacation and can't easily link you to them right now. Sorry.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 14
You didnt do any comparison to other amps/dac.

Quote:
In my uDAC-2 impressions thread I said it was important to read my original uDAC impressions, and then to look at what I thought about the improvements in the uDAC-2 in the new thread. And, whatever I said about the original uDAC vs iBasso or others, the uDAC-2 builds on and does better in every way.

Look in the dedicated source forum for my thread on the original and version 2. I'm on my iPhone on vacation and can't easily link you to them right now. Sorry.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 14

You didnt do any comparison to other amps/dac.

Yes I did, and I have more I still need to do as soon as I'm back from vacation. I did bring both uDAC and DACport on my trip, but have had little time to listen.

I'll add this brief comment for now - in comparing uDAC-2 to the DACport with my LCD-2 headphones, the uDac-2 drives these phones better. With most of my IEM the uDAC-2 is almost as good as the DACport, but with my Westone ES5 the uDAC-2 has better synergy so far. Vs the Nuforce HDP, the HDP is more detailed, spacious and powerful than either uDAC version or the DACport. My impressions are not final, and will be updated.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 14
Thank you for the response and hope you can do more comparison ASAP.

Quote:
Yes I did, and I have more I still need to do as soon as I'm back from vacation. I did bring both uDAC and DACport on my trip, but have had little time to listen.

I'll add this brief comment for now - in comparing uDAC-2 to the DACport with my LCD-2 headphones, the uDac-2 drives these phones better. With most of my IEM the uDAC-2 is almost as good as the DACport, but with my Westone ES5 the uDAC-2 has better synergy so far. Vs the Nuforce HDP, the HDP is more detailed, spacious and powerful than either uDAC version or the DACport. My impressions are not final, and will be updated.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 14
I just got one of these, it's been plugged in for about half an hour.

It has gotten VERY HOT in that short time. 

Is this normal?   Other than tubes or class A I tend to run away from gear that gets excessively hot.

Do you have one of these?   Does yours get hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back