uDAC-2 vs X-Fi HD USB (mini review)
May 11, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #46 of 54
Sorry garethw, no-one has acknowledged or replied to your post because we don't really like newbies here. We're far to into ourselves and our pathetic little debates about who's the cleverest and most technically aware little anarak. I would go ahead and buy the X-fi HD USB if I were you because as you can see, even we 'experts' can't agree about it or whether it does native 44.1 or not!  And we do want it 'bit perfect' of course, that's the way we are. So we prefer to ignore you because we don't really give a monkey's about you or your problem. We simply just don't like people - only 'things'. Goodbye garethw and have a good day! 

May 11, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #47 of 54

Quote:
I just realized that not being able to get 44.1 kHz sample rate might be an issue for recording. One would have to down sample to get their recordings on CD-R I suppose.

When recording, you can select the sample rate, like  16/44.1, through your  driver, if the driver allows it.  Record Now allows selection from 16/44.1 through 24/96, while the Creative Media Tool Box is fixed at 16/44.1.  Also, when using USB to S/PDIF,  conversions at rates from 16/44.1 to 24/96 are all possible.

May 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #48 of 54

Quote:
Sorry garethw, no-one has acknowledged or replied to your post because we don't really like newbies here. We're far to into ourselves and our pathetic little debates about who's the cleverest and most technically aware little anarak. I would go ahead and buy the X-fi HD USB if I were you because as you can see, even we 'experts' can't agree about it or whether it does native 44.1 or not!  And we do want it 'bit perfect' of course, that's the way we are. So we prefer to ignore you because we don't really give a monkey's about you or your problem. We simply just don't like people - only 'things'. Goodbye garethw and have a good day! 

I know a good psychiatrist who can help you. Of course, I'm just kidding; but still, you may want to lighten up just a little bit.

May 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #49 of 54
Hey Battou, thanks for the review!

I am thinking of buying the creative x-fi hd. However I am a bit worried about whether my computer has a good enough processor for this.. I see Creative specify that you need a 2.2 GHz or faster processor.. I have a computer with a dual-core 1,3 (yeah) GHz CULV processor..

I guess the 2.2 GHz are required for lossless music, and perhaps also using some of the sofware for equalizer etc.. I will be playing mostly 320 kbps mp3, so do you think my computer will manage? In your experience, does this unit demand a lot of computer power?

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #50 of 54
Hi Pettervo,

the 2,2gHz are not necessary, i play lossles music via laptop 2x 1,1 Ghz with foobar @ about ~10% Cpu Load without interference.
Even viewing a DvD oder a HD (encode via Graphics Card) Video with 5.1 Surround Emulation  via Software, the Cpu load is around ~40-60%.

Maybe the 2,2 ghz were set, so nobody trys to run this on a 400mhz Laptop or something else and wondering why it doesnt work. 

Greetings

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #51 of 54
Regarding sampling rates, I was wondering the same thing when I just got the x-fi hd. I found the dacs specs online and it supports 44.1k natively and even 192k but the drivers are implemented in a way that disables some rates obviously. If you pass your audio through asio4all plugin for foobar you can get 44.1k rate without any resampling taking place. At least I can see in asio4all interface that signal is sampled at 44.1k. Cheers, Cas.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #52 of 54

Quote:

Oh I didn't realize immediately it was you talking... hahaha, very funny post :p, seems very true to another newbie like me, too... but actually I have to admit that I am also more concerned following about this topic's first/main idea which matters to me. It is already very technical and focused in here, maybe you could try making another topic in the same subforum? I don't know I made myself an account here just to laugh out loud.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #53 of 54

So, to sum it up, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi USB HD can actually output 44.1 kHz sampling rate via its headphone-out (not only SPIDF out) and hence, render digital audio bit-perfectly to your analog playback material. Battou62's erroneous manipulation lead him into a questioning that alarmed many of us here but in the end it was just a big stir? and not a real fire? And people there at Creative http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/Any-plans-to-implement-44-1-Khz-support-Creative-X-FI-HD-USB/td-p/574747 don't know what they're talking about, and were only trying to ease you?

TimT, KokChoy-CL Forums Administrator, Celarion and the people at that topic link above all reacted in a way that confirms Battou62's first noticing.. that there isn't a crystal oscillating for the 44.1 kHz clock, only starting at 48... , windcar here also seemed like a dissatisfied owner of the X-Fi USB HD..

Who is right here, sterling1 and casperry's one posts are defeating this whole alarming topic purpose but those people there http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/Any-plans-to-implement-44-1-Khz-support-Creative-X-FI-HD-USB/td-p/574747 can't be all wrong either... why doesn't this awesome topic have a proper conclusion?

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #54 of 54
Regarding sampling rates, I was wondering the same thing when I just got the x-fi hd. I found the dacs specs online and it supports 44.1k natively and even 192k but the drivers are implemented in a way that disables some rates obviously. If you pass your audio through asio4all plugin for foobar you can get 44.1k rate without any resampling taking place. At least I can see in asio4all interface that signal is sampled at 44.1k. Cheers, Cas.

Doesn't work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back