UD-10 USB Audio Converter
Jan 16, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #79 of 240
Ernie II - I have the UD-10 and the Aria, and the UD-10 is not in the same league as the Aria as far as sound from its Headphone Jack simply because its really not an amp where the Aria is a Dac and a true amp. The UD-10 does however sound great when connected directly to my X-cans. I have a Jolida amp being shipped out tomorrow hopefully and will better be able to judge it against the aria as the X-cans is really in a lower class league. I do however have a tendancy to oolike the warmth of tube amps and the Aria sounds more reference like than what I am used to.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #80 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all we need is a tiny box that is:

- connected to our PC via USB (or wireless as the technology is getting cheaper and, according to ehat I read somewhere, is immune to some typical usb problems)
- with just one GOOD coaxial/optical output (bitperfect PCM and AC3/DTS passthrough, maybe with 96KHz too)
- a good set of native ASIO drivers.

No other input/output, headphone amp, DAC, etc...
My guess is that something like this could sell for under 100$ and be much better and easier to use than an audiophile usb (but obviously not as good as empirical audio's 600$+ products)

good post! and fixed
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #81 of 240
I think there's been some misunderstanding as to what the UD-10 actually is. It is first and foremost a TRANSPORT. Sure, it has an analog out section, but it is really limited: no volume control, no standard RCA output. Everything about the UD-10 indicates that it is designed primarily as a USB digital transport. You could use the analog output in a pinch, but it doesn't sound very good. So if you are expecting an all-in-one DAC/transport solution, I suggest you look elsewhere.

But personally I think the designers should've left out the analog output and the headphone jack and just designed the unit to be a pure USB transport and pass the savings onto the consumers.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #82 of 240
The analog is as much a diagnostic tool as anything, to help ensure a signal is being supplied correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's been some misunderstanding as to what the UD-10 actually is. It is first and foremost a TRANSPORT. Sure, it has an analog out section, but it is really limited: no volume control, no standard RCA output. Everything about the UD-10 indicates that it is designed primarily as a USB digital transport. You could use the analog output in a pinch, but it doesn't sound very good. So if you are expecting an all-in-one DAC/transport solution, I suggest you look elsewhere.

But personally I think the designers should've left out the analog output and the headphone jack and just designed the unit to be a pure USB transport and pass the savings onto the consumers.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #83 of 240
I just got mine yesterday. I used it solely as digital transport for my DAC1.
Initial impression: obviously better than M-audio Transit in every aspect. I'm impressed.
I'm only using a cheap s/pdif cable. Eagerly waiting for the aes/ebu replacement.

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #84 of 240
I don't understand the difference between all the different cables myself as far as advantages and disadvantages. is there a site that explains it in simple terms, something a newbie like myself would be able to start out with? I know I can Google it, i am just wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #85 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the difference between all the different cables myself as far as advantages and disadvantages. is there a site that explains it in simple terms, something a newbie like myself would be able to start out with? I know I can Google it, i am just wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif

this will give you a basic run down of the differences between the consumer and pro digital outputs.

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #86 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by yanfeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine yesterday. I used it solely as digital transport for my DAC1.
Initial impression: obviously better than M-audio Transit in every aspect. I'm impressed.
I'm only using a cheap s/pdif cable. Eagerly waiting for the aes/ebu replacement.

thanks for the feedback yanfeng, let us know about the aes ebu when you get it.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #90 of 240
Not that I have seen. I ordered mine from Boyo (sp?) and it was here within 5 days, not bad for shipping from Honk Kong. I believe the Trends site may sell them from Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back