Uber Olives
Sep 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gilly87

Member of the Trade: ApeSonic

I had a little bit of inspiration reading the IE8 appreciation thread...

Quote:
iPhone 4 drives it easily. However, isolation is pretty bad on these with the standard stock tips provided, nowhere near the amount of isolation you will need on flights. However, you can improve isolation with carefully selected tips. For me, I am using the Extra Large Biflange from re262s and stuffed the inside of the tips with cut up comply foams. I found this combination to have given me the best isolation/sq. I would not recommend using foam with the IE8 does not have the greatest sparkle and foams will soak up whatever is left of it. Silicon tips stuffed with foam like the one I have mentioned above works well. 

Quote:
Wise idea, I've been doing this for a while now. Foam simply isolates and seals much better than silicone, but it has issues if it's present in the sound tube. With such method, you get the good sound of silicones with the isolation of foams. This is also why the Monster Supertips are such a good idea in design. Still, the difference isn't going to be huge, the best you could do maximize the potential of the IE8 which has average isolation for an IEM. 

...so I decided to shove a pair of standard Comply's from RadioShack inside my large Shure Olives and holy hell, they fit perfectly, no changes needed; just push the Comply inside the Olive as if the back of the olive is your ear, with the olive core going inside the comply one, and bam, the perfect tip. I bet it would work equally well with the other Olives with a little trimming on the backside of the comply.

I've been struggling to find a good seal with the different sizes of olives on my SE215 because my left ear has a weird conical shape that doesn't seal easily, and this is definitely the best I've gotten yet, plus awesome isolation and MOAR BASS :D

Kudos to rangerid and Inks for the idea :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back