Uber Bargain $33 TA2024 Balanced Amp
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

robrob

100+ Head-Fier
I mentioned this little balanced speaker amp in the "speaker amp for headphones" thread but this amp is such a great high output headphone amp I thought it deserved its own thread.

I picked up an $18 Stellar Labs desktop amp today from MCM Electronics. It's a Tripath TA2024 Class T based desktop amp rated at 15 watts into 4 ohms for both channels. I'm powering it with a 3 amp rated 12 volt power supply ($15 from MCM Electronics) but it can run off 8 internal AA batteries for portable operation too. The TA2024 chip amp has unbalanced (single-ended 1/8" TRS jack) input but uses true push-pull amplification with balanced output (see schematic below--note the unbalanced, common ground input is a chip level design).

It easily powers my hard-to-drive modified Fostex T50RP cans. Max volume for me comes at 10 to 11 o'clock on the Stellar Labs amp so it's not being pushed at high volume and it's dead freakin' silent at max volume. I A/B'd it against my Schiit Mjolnir using my HE-500 and T50RP cans and it stands up pretty well--no schiit, it really does. The TA2024 has a little more bass and the highs are a little less bright than the Mjolnir but both of these are really a slight improvement for the HE-500 if you ask me. Seriously, this little $18 to $35 amp punches way, way above its weight. Listen to it with an open mind (or a blind A/B test) and you'll freak out. I know it's crazy cheap but if you're on a severe budget and want to try balanced headphone operation or you just need a another amp give it a try, you won't be sorry.

Note you cannot use a headphone adapter with common ground such as an adapter with a female TRS socket. The speaker-to-headphone adapter must have four wires and separate L- and R- wires.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 14
Why is the T50RP hard to drive?

The efficiency spec must be B.S?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Looks interesting. It's a shame that it requires a balanced cable, that brings the price up quite a bit for those of us without one. However, if I do decide to build to buy a balanced cable I may try this little guy.

These may also be a good speaker amp to try.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 14
I'm intrigued by the tripath chip as a balanced headphone amp and willing to try out just for grins.   I'm willing to go DIY route or pre-assembled and not looking to buy the cheapest possible.   So with that it mind what would you recommend?  I see a number of DIY modules at HIFIMEDIY with "higher end" components so what would be ideal for driving HE-500 for example?  Again not looking to buy more expensive option just being clear that I'd spend a bit more for "optimal" configuration.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=tk2050

For reference I have HE-500's in the mail and Grado 325/Maverick A1+D2 on my desk but having great fun with Stoner Acoustics UD120 so more of a side project just to see what can be done on the cheap 
o2smile.gif

May 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 14
I know necro but needed a cheap balanced amp for work and I think (not positive) that the bare board is the MUSE M15 TA2024 T-Amp Super Mini Stereo Amplifier 15WX2 completed board. $16 shipped on slow boat from China on fleabay.

May 11, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Muse sells an SE HP amp based on the TA2024 for about $20 so not sure it's worth building your own at that price.  It will cost about the same by the time you buy all the connectors & case!  And I don't know that the TA2024 is even the best bet for SE configuration.  It's absolutely the cheapest option if you already have HP's cabled for balanced but there could be better chipsets which ONLY do SE that might be better performing.  Sorry I was only looking for a super cheap balanced amp I could leave in the office and not have to worry about it.

May 11, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 14
  I'm intrigued by the tripath chip as a balanced headphone amp and willing to try out just for grins.   I'm willing to go DIY route or pre-assembled and not looking to buy the cheapest possible.   So with that it mind what would you recommend?  I see a number of DIY modules at HIFIMEDIY with "higher end" components so what would be ideal for driving HE-500 for example?  Again not looking to buy more expensive option just being clear that I'd spend a bit more for "optimal" configuration.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=tk2050

For reference I have HE-500's in the mail and Grado 325/Maverick A1+D2 on my desk but having great fun with Stoner Acoustics UD120 so more of a side project just to see what can be done on the cheap 
o2smile.gif

Every Tripath chip I've heard has an audible noise floor, clearly heard with headphones. I think the Tripath was originally intended for loudspeakers with relatively low sensitivity.

May 12, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 14
  Every Tripath chip I've heard has an audible noise floor, clearly heard with headphones. I think the Tripath was originally intended for loudspeakers with relatively low sensitivity.

I've heard the same - pun intended - my primary amp is a Mjolnir - this is just for fun to experiment - always looking for uber bargain just for the sake of well - finding a bargain :)

May 13, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 14
  Muse sells an SE HP amp based on the TA2024 for about $20 so not sure it's worth building your own at that price.  It will cost about the same by the time you buy all the connectors & case!  And I don't know that the TA2024 is even the best bet for SE configuration.  It's absolutely the cheapest option if you already have HP's cabled for balanced but there could be better chipsets which ONLY do SE that might be better performing.  Sorry I was only looking for a super cheap balanced amp I could leave in the office and not have to worry about it.

I didn't meant to build one. But use this one but instead of using a balanced output using a single ended one. It's not possible? there is no speaker to single ended adapter?

May 13, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 14

An adapter is not the problem. Combining the grounds on balanced out may cause the amp to fail.  Again, this tripath is probably not the best choice for SE headphone. The only reason we were discussing is that it's the cheapest balanced option possible. You'd be better served looking at recommendations for uber bargain SE amp in a different thread.

May 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 14

An adapter is not the problem. Combining the grounds on balanced out may cause the amp to fail.  Again, this tripath is probably not the best choice for SE headphone. The only reason we were discussing is that it's the cheapest balanced option possible. You'd be better served looking at recommendations for uber bargain SE amp in a different thread.

I've been reading some stuff and now i understand i've been asking some silly questions =P Did you receive your already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back