Typing one handed or: How I Learned To Be Careful On A Snowy Evening
Feb 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #61 of 86
^ Yep, I think they just like to see patients in pain, especially after working double shifts and whatnot.
tongue_smile.gif

Today I went to see my surgeon about the infection and the exposed wound. When he took the bandage off, I was very surprised. Overnight, the wound began to heal and it looks like a thin layer of skin has grown.

I asked about the infection but he didn't seem worried about it. He said my finger looks very good and that the antibiotics should take care of everything.

He also said that we can start to move my finger next Tuesday. When he said that I immediately thought of Erik's experience.
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #62 of 86
You'll be fine. Chinese saying: Short-term pain is better than long-term pain.
But let me be frank... there is a chance that you'll never get your finger back like it was before.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #63 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be fine. Chinese saying: Short-term pain is better than long-term pain.
But let me be frank... there is a chance that you'll never get your finger back like it was before.

Yeah, I'm alright with that. Someone at work separated two of their fingers at the joints (a softball hit his out-stretched fingers dead-on) and they're pretty bent. My finger actually looks nearly as straight as it was before. The movement is what's gonna kill me. But I'm confident I'll get it back to nearly 95-100% in time.

BTW, anyone wanna see a couple of pics of what it looks like now?
very_evil_smiley.gif

WARNING: Don't click if you're easily grossed out
biggrin.gif

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4179.jpg

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4180.jpg

The laceration was basically from the top of the black dried-blood scab, to the bottom. I think it looks great now, considering the top of my finger was loosely hanging down.
normal_smile .gif

Sigh... there go my dreams of becoming a hand model...
frown.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #64 of 86
^ ouch...

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #65 of 86
Is that pus? Or just camera flash?
That doesn't look bad at all. It'll heal in a week. Take some Centrum (or other multivitamins + multiminerals) may help. Be well-nutritioned and keep the wound clean. Hope you heal soon!

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Is that pus? Or just camera flash?
That doesn't look bad at all. It'll heal in a week. Take some Centrum (or other multivitamins + multiminerals) may help. Be well-nutritioned and keep the wound clean. Hope you heal soon!

That little white thing in the bottom of my wound? I actually think that might be a piece of the dissolving stitches. Not sure though... But the white spot near the top is the flash.

There may still be a tiny bit of pus left in my knuckle since it's just slightly swollen, but the surgeon said the antibiotics will take care of it. I haven't had any leak out since Sunday.

I'm changing my bandage two times a day now (after my shower in the morning and a couple of hours before bed), and I'm also putting Bacitracin on the wound.

Anyone know of any good anti-scar creams I can buy at Walgreens? Last night the scab came off of my pinky finger and the skin is all pink and new, but I can clearly see the scar.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #67 of 86
I went to the surgeon's office today and he took off my splint! He said he wants a good balance between recovery and movement; and that if I left my splint in for another month I would recover quicker, but my tendon would heal into the scar tissue and it would be incredibly hard to get it moving again.

He told me to bend it today and I could make about 1/6th of a fist, which we thought was pretty good for only being a month after surgery. He said I should keep my ring finger taped against my middle finger to give it some support, but still have a tiny bit of movement. I'm supposed to exercise it twice a day (trying to make a fist) but I shouldn't over-stress it or I may damage something. I have another appointment in three weeks.
normal_smile .gif

Here are a couple of pics of how bent my finger is right now:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4197.jpg

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...IMG_4198-1.jpg

I may go to a physical therapist just for a second opinion. You can't always be too safe I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #68 of 86
I doubt anyone cares anymore, but my scab came off today and the scar looks really good. Compared to my pinky (which was stitched up by the ER doctor), my ring finger looks great. Apparently ER doctors are much worse at preventing scarring than cosmetic surgeons.
biggrin.gif

Here's what it looks like now. For a frame of reference, the curved red line I drew was pretty much how far my skin was able to be pulled back the night of the accident. It almost makes me cringe when I think about how deep the cut was.
redface.gif

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4202.jpg

About a week ago I could barely bend my fingers an inch, but now I can almost make a loosely closed fist. The tip of my finger still has a long way to go, but I am starting to feel some pain when exercising it, so that's a good sign. I can also wiggle the top a bit more. I guess all that scar tissue is starting to free up my tendon.
normal_smile .gif
darthsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #70 of 86
I have my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow (evaluation), and its been almost a week since the surgeon said I don't have to keep my fingers taped together anymore. I've managed to get quite a bit of movement back on my own but there's still a little ways to go. There's always going to be some drooping, but it's not really a big deal since I (or anyone for that matter) rarely ever has/needs their fingers outstretched and perfectly straight. I can push it up with my other hand, and I have maybe 50% of my downward movement back, but I can't move it up any farther on my own than what's in the picture. It's actually pretty cool to show it to people though. It always freaks them out when I lift it up and it falls back down.
tongue_smile.gif

In its current drooped position, I can move it a tiny bit on my own. If I lay my finger against something but have the tip free, I can move it a little bit farther than just having it in free air.

At least I'm able to play videogames again!
beerchug.gif

Here are some pics:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4211.jpg

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4213.jpg

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4214.jpg

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

That is some awesome healing! Hope therapy will get the finger as good as new!

Yeah, I'm surprised that the scar is healing so well. I have been using some anti-scar cream so perhaps that's why.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found that if I hold the tip of my finger up for a couple of minutes and let go, it doesn't droop down as much. I think if I wear a splint every night for a month or two, my finger will straighten out. But for now I just want to focus on getting as much movement back as possible. I'm going to ask the physical therapist what we can do for straightening (if possible).

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if I wear a splint every night for a month or two, my finger will straighten out. But for now I just want to focus on getting as much movement back as possible. I'm going to ask the physical therapist what we can do for straightening (if possible).

Yes, do that. As often as possible. Drooping means the tendon is somewhat ruptured. Holding it steady and straight will help the tendon heal better.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #74 of 86
I had my first PT appointment today. They did an evaluation and taught me some exercises to do three times a day. I also have to massage my scar, to free up the scar tissue. They said I have about 9 degrees of movement in the tip of my finger, which is very little. That's less than how far it's bent already. She said that the reason for the bending (and why it'll be permanent) is because the surgeon had to lengthen my tendon.

She had me squeeze this thing, which had a gauge and could read out how many pounds I was actually squeezing. With my left hand, I could do an average of 70 pounds (my first try was 100!), but with my right hand I was averaging 7 pounds!
eek.gif

She also massaged my scar with some ultrasound machine, which made it sting a little bit. The next time I go I have to dip my hand in warm paraffin wax, which should loosen it up a bit before therapy. That should be pretty cool.

For now, she said I can wear a splint at night (to try to alleviate some of the drooping) and do my exercises during the day. I also got this little silicon pad that I have to wear at night, which will put pressure on my scar tissue so it heals more evenly. She said it costs $100 per sheet!

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #75 of 86
Hey, that little high-end block of wood that you place under your amps costs at least 60 bucks each. At least your sheet actually does something.
I wonder whether sticky tape will work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back