Typing one handed or: How I Learned To Be Careful On A Snowy Evening
Mar 30, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #76 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, that little high-end block of wood that you place under your amps costs at least 60 bucks each. At least your sheet actually does something.
I wonder whether sticky tape will work...

Haha yeah, maybe these silicon tabs will reduce humming in my tube amp...

May 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #77 of 86
Well, it's been almost two months since I started physical therapy (actually finished PT last week), and four months since the accident.  I made excellent progress in regaining movement and strength; my surgeon saw me just over a month into PT and he was amazed at the progress I had made.  He said he never expected me to regain so much movement, and that this is moreso a testament to my hard work rather than his surgical expertise.
beerchug.gif

Here are some pictures.  I'll always have a bit of drooping and I still have quite a bit of scar tissue left in there.  The last picture is how far I can bend the tip.  A normal finger can bend 90 degrees, and they measured my bending motion at PT and I finished off with 50-55 degrees, and I'm happy with that.  On my first day of PT I only had 9 degrees of movement!  They also measured my strength on the last day, and I was up to around 75 pounds, much better than the 7 pounds on my first day!

May 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #79 of 86
This is just one of those threads that I cringe at but read anyways :p Good to see the recovery progress!

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #82 of 86

Quote:
Quote:

Let me tell you... getting a needle pushed into not one, but two deep lacerations in your fingers hurts like the bowels of hell. After that it was smooth sailing.

I agree with that. I ripped my knuckle up a couple of months ago. It would seem that they would give you the numbing shot around it. NOOOoo, they jam it straight inti and under the split. OUCH

Yikes! I once had an infection in my lower lip and it swelled up to the size of a small marble. They had to cut my lip with a scalpel to clean it out and the doctor said that injecting my lip to numb it would be just as painful as slicing my lip without the Novocain so he just quickly sliced it open, cleaned out the infections and taped it back together. Wham bam.... Eeek. That was painful too.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #83 of 86
Thanks!  I'm still doing my exercises three times a day, but I've stopped wearing a splint at night (which helped with the straightening).  I seem to have very good control and strength in the tip of my finger, so I don't have to worry much about it drooping.

It was a very hard thing to deal with for a while after surgery since I had no use of my right hand for a few weeks, but I'm glad the whole ordeal is over.  I guess this was a little lesson in self-reliance.
smile.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #84 of 86

Quote:
Thanks!  I'm still doing my exercises three times a day, but I've stopped wearing a splint at night (which helped with the straightening).  I seem to have very good control and strength in the tip of my finger, so I don't have to worry much about it drooping.

It was a very hard thing to deal with for a while after surgery since I had no use of my right hand for a few weeks, but I'm glad the whole ordeal is over.  I guess this was a little lesson in self-reliance.
smile.gif

I was just wondering if the weather affects your wound or anything like that. Something about barometric pressure changes can cause old and new wounds to ache. Maybe it's too new or maybe it won't affect your finger at all. Just a thought because I have this old "clowning around and then seriously hurt myself" wound that I got when I was a teenager and it sometimes aches a little when it's about to rain. Weird, yes?
Or maybe your finger will throb when your headphones get too sibilant.
blink.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #85 of 86
Quote:
I was just wondering if the weather affects your wound or anything like that. Something about barometric pressure changes can cause old and new wounds to ache. Maybe it's too new or maybe it won't affect your finger at all. Just a thought because I have this old "clowning around and then seriously hurt myself" wound that I got when I was a teenager and it sometimes aches a little when it's about to rain. Weird, yes?
Or maybe your finger will throb when your headphones get too sibilant.
blink.gif

What happened?  I got hurt a few times just clowning around, but nothing really serious.  The worst was a small fracture in my elbow.

You should become a weatherman.  Who needs all that fancy doppler radar mumbo jumbo when you've got your aches and pains, man?  I have heard about that though.  Like an old woman will get an ache in her hip before a hurricane and whatnot.  I do get some pains from time to time, but it's probably just the scar tissue still healing. 

More like my ears throb when there's too much sibilance! 
beerchug.gif
<--- Watch those beer glasses, man.  They're dangerous.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #86 of 86
You know those metal pipes that are about 6 inches in diameter and about 2 feet high that are filled with concrete and stuck in the entrance of a public driveway to keep cars from driving down the driveway but will let little maintenance vehicles slip between them? Well there were about 5 pipes about 3 feet apart and I decided to climb on one and jump to the other. Well while landing on the other pipe I slipped and my shin hit the top edge of the pipe and I slid off of the pipe. It skinned my shine down to the bone. It didn't break anything it just scrapped all of the flesh off for about 4 inches--bone exposed. I was in so much pain and my friends were laughing so much I didn't know whether to cry or to kill them so I just rolled over clutching my knee because my shin was skinned. I was 19 years old, had no job, no insurance so I just let it heal by itself. That what aches--my shin.

Then there was the time a friend and I both got on a skateboard together and went down a steep San Francisco hill. I in front of the board and he behind me. I fell off of the board and my friend fell on top of me and we slid a few yards down the hill (on my stomach) and stopped short of a passing cable car. I was more embarrassed than hurt but I did hurt. My pants were shredded and my knees were very bloody. I was 24. Sheesh! Once again, no professional medical intervention--although professional mental intervention should have been considered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back