twodeko's CMOY [done w pics]
Jan 25, 2005 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

twodeko

100+ Head-Fier
aaah, its been a weekend affair (wiring and different setbacks) but now it is finally done. been listening to Coldplay - Parachutes and some Radiohead on it, sounds wonderful compared to the standalone cd player! want to thank the various people on Head-Fi that have been helping me here (zemo, dsavitsk, bg, pars, n_maher...) and here are some pics!

using an OPA2227 now but i might try the AD823 at some point. unfortunately i am using some Sony MDR-V300's which are not very solid but maybe i should invest in some better phones
eggosmile.gif

17el.jpg

28gn.jpg

56az.jpg

30zd.jpg

46zu.jpg

600smile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 25
Nice job. I love the hammond case... I may have to pick a couple up for me, as I've been using altoids tins.

The soldering looks much better than my first and even second CMOY's
biggrin.gif
Heheh, I had pads coming off the board on my first CMOY. lol.

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 25
thanks for the responses
biggrin.gif

i ended up using a buddy's Kester 63/37 Solder and some higher gauge hookup wire. the wire was a little troublesome to work with but the solder was nice, i ended up getting my teflon silver plated wire from the ebay auction today when i finished it
frown.gif

3000smile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 25
Way to go! And take it from me, don't spend too much time tweaking that first Cmoy or adding a bunch of parts. It probably won't be your last amp and those dollars (and higher-end opamps) are better served on other boards.
evil_smiley.gif

And nice job with the little Hammond, my first effort for that case failed miserably. What volume knob is that? I like it a lot.

Nate

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
Nice job! (and sorry about your wallet... hehe).

my wallet??

hah, probably a PIMETA next... not so sure, any advice?

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 25
very nice case. im looking at some right now.. i think it'd be a bit nicer than an altoids tin for my mint.

looks very good!

which case is that btw?
anybody know what units newark uses for the dimensions? im guessing inches but would have expected "s or something..

Description: Enclosures; Body Material: ABS Plastic; Color: Black; External Depth: 4.4; External Height: 1.1; External Width: 2.6; Size/Dimensions: 1.1 x 2.6 x 4.4

?

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 25
Since you asked I'll offer what little experience I can. The first decision that you have to make is what amp can you afford to build. The next cheapest that I'm aware of is the Apheared A47 which basically just adds a buffer ($6) and diode (reverse voltage protection) to the current design that you did. The reason that I skipped over this particular amp was because I was looking for longevity out of my next amp. I wanted a professionally built board with minimal jumpers. I also wanted it to be my primary portable amp so size was at least part of the consideration. What I landed on was the MINT. It's quite a bit more challenging than the Cmoy with its SMD components. Other than those three bits it's actually easier than the Cmoy to build. Parts with the hammond J12 enclosure that I used will run about $65. There's a link to pics of my MINT in my sig.

Next up for me is a PIMETA that'll be pretty maxed out with the exception of not using exotic caps like the blackgates. I simply can't justify that cost for this amp knowing that the M3 is coming
600smile.gif
. It's easier than the MINT and probably a bit easier than the Cmoy since it's really just plug and play. Parts for the PIMETA (including case and DIY mini/rca cable) will run about $180.

The PIMETA will probably be my last amp of 05 and I'll concentrate on recabling my HD535's and HD600's thanks to the Sennheiser plug group-buy and making another set of speaker cables. I'm hoping to build a M3 in 06 and move the PIMETA into the portable role but that's long-term which I have issues with (just ask my fiance
wink.gif
).

Probably more than my 0.02 and certainly worth less.

Nate

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by miketriple
very nice case. im looking at some right now.. i think it'd be a bit nicer than an altoids tin for my mint.

looks very good!

which case is that btw?
anybody know what units newark uses for the dimensions? im guessing inches but would have expected "s or something..

Mike,

that's one of the little Hammonds either the C8 or C12 can't tell what length it is. It's actually a pretty hard case to work with as it's top and bottom are fixed so you have to slide the amp in from one end with all of the wiring already done. Hammond's site is pretty clear as far as dimensions go so that you set you straight there and Newark uses the actual Hammond part numbers in their descriptions. Be forewarned though, Newark seems to charge about 10% for shipping and handling charges and they don't tell you what it's going to be until they've already billed you!

Nate

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Mike,

that's one of the little Hammonds either the C8 or C12 can't tell what length it is. It's actually a pretty hard case to work with as it's top and bottom are fixed so you have to slide the amp in from one end with all of the wiring already done. Hammond's site is pretty clear as far as dimensions go so that you set you straight there and Newark uses the actual Hammond part numbers in their descriptions. Be forewarned though, Newark seems to charge about 10% for shipping and handling charges and they don't tell you what it's going to be until they've already billed you!

Nate

That is a lot bigger than a C series. Not sure what though. My guess is K. It also appears he has plastic end panels (your link is metal). Plastic is a lot easier to use if you dont have a drill punch.

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by miketriple

looks very good!

which case is that btw?

Description: Enclosures; Body Material: ABS Plastic; Color: Black; External Depth: 4.4; External Height: 1.1; External Width: 2.6; Size/Dimensions: 1.1 x 2.6 x 4.4

?

tongue.gif

Hammond Instrument Enclosures
4.72 x 3.07 x 1.69 Black Anodized

1455K1201BK ... good guess bg

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
That is a lot bigger than a C series. Not sure what though. My guess is K. It also appears he has plastic end panels (your link is metal). Plastic is a lot easier to use if you dont have a drill punch.

You're right, my bad. Given the height I'd agree that it's probable a K12. I linked the metal end panels because they're what I use and it was the link in my browsers history but there's a link on the same page for the plastic ends. I think that all you do is change the last digit in the part number to a 2 instead of a 1 for plastic.

Edit - a minute too late on my second guess... and dang that's a huge case for a cmoy! I hope you're running dual 9v or something.

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
The next cheapest that I'm aware of is the Apheared A47 which basically just adds a buffer ($6) and diode (reverse voltage protection) to the current design that you did.

An A47 actually just adds another op-amp to the design (see http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...heared_prj.htm), Benjamin Feist (the guy who wrote the article you linked to) just added a buffer and diode to his design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back