twodeko's CMOY [done w pics]
Jan 25, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by twodeko
hah, probably a PIMETA next... not so sure, any advice?

Another project to look at (in addition to the pimeta and others mentioned here) is the Pete Millett amp. It is a little bit more expensive than the Pimeta to build, but it is also a bit easier, and I prefer its sound. http://www.pmillett.addr.com/hybrid_head.htm Pete used to run wheatfield audio, and his designs are being incorporated into Headroom's stable of amps. The Pimeta is not bad at all, but the Millett has a deeper warmer sound that you will likely like if you like your B&W's.

-d

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 25
I will take a look at that Pete Millet amp, i took a gander at it and the layout looked interesting but as far as PIMETA's and various other amps... i am pretty much in the dark since this was the first one i made.

Building this was a good time for me, so i plan on keeping up with DIY'ing. My next investment i think will be headphones, but i might be able to split my investments. Like i said before, I am on a student budget
biggrin.gif

Thank you for the recommendations, but as far as what to do next, prices and the highlights of each individual amp, i am not all too sure what to get into.

I do love my B&W's, first HiFi investment and it kicked off this hobby without a doubt.
orphsmile.gif

Oh, it is a single 9V althought i could easily fit another in there... the wires i used were not necessarily the best for fitting it all into a case so i guess my next project will involve some major wiring improvements
eggosmile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #18 of 25
Are you using an opamp as a railsplitter??

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
Are you using an opamp as a railsplitter??

haha no no, the TLE2426CP... its a coltage divider but i got the DIP 8 version of it so i had to do some clipping and placing
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 25
ahh.. i see, they all look alike (dip 8)..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipinder
An A47 actually just adds another op-amp to the design (see http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...heared_prj.htm), Benjamin Feist (the guy who wrote the article you linked to) just added a buffer and diode to his design.

Headwize seems to be down right now, until Feb 1. Chu had warned that he was running over the bandwidth allocation for January. So you'll have to wait to get access the original Apheared article.

In the mean time, there are some very nice A47 layouts that were discussed here on head-fi. (the Feist layout uses too many jumpers for my liking) There was a whole thread listing them within the last 6 months that shouldn't be too hard to find by searching for A47.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 25
i noticed the site was down, my question to everyone here is what are the main differences between these different types of amps mentioned. i know some have buffers and diodes to prevent voltage running back into the circuit but i dont know what project i should look into next

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 25
Do you care if it's portable?

For portable use, I'd choose an A47 or Mint. The A47 is very simple, it's like a cmoy with an extra opamp paralled for more current for low-impedance cans. The EE types note that a true buffer (buf634 etc.) has lower output impedance than an opamp so they want to use a opamp + buffer design like the Mint. I like both, which one I like better depends on what headphones I'm using and my mood, probably the moon phase changes my opinion too.

Non-portable, there's the Pimeta or Szekeres or PPA or Gilmore Dynamic or ....

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Do you care if it's portable?

For portable use, I'd choose an A47 or Mint. The A47 is very simple, it's like a cmoy with an extra opamp paralled for more current for low-impedance cans. The EE types note that a true buffer (buf634 etc.) has lower output impedance than an opamp so they want to use a opamp + buffer design like the Mint. I like both, which one I like better depends on what headphones I'm using and my mood, probably the moon phase changes my opinion too.

Non-portable, there's the Pimeta or Szekeres or PPA or Gilmore Dynamic or ....

i really do not care if it is portable or not, and i do not plan on building something new for another month or so. like i said, i don't have headphones yet to utilize the amp as much as it should... i can just tell the massive difference with my $50 phones.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back