Two Budget Kings: Superlux 681 evo vs Samson sr850 (Similar to Superlux 668b but with headband)
Oct 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Felixote

New Head-Fier
Well I'm considering buying one of this to Budget Kings, and i was wondering which one do you headfiers think is better, i have tried the Samson and thought they were quite good but for nerly the same price you can get the 681 evo, that have a very good reviews. So I'm letting it up to you to help me choose the best pair for an all around best spending.

Thank You

Felixote

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm pondering the same thing you are Felixote.

My research leads me to believe that in order to attain a non-muffled sound from the new EVOs then you are going to have to make a couple of mods in order to get it to sound better (1) removing the dampener, 2) using velour pads, and 3) adding padding in between the pads to create some space). Obviously this is information i got from other head-fi threads, so i just don't know.

If anyone has had a direct experience with these two please help us.

Thanks

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 10
I happen to own both of these cans and prefer the 681 Evo's  for comfort and sound. They have very similar sound signatures but I prefer the 681's.
Oh, just so you know, I have quite a few cans and they include Senn. HD650, AKG Q701 and many more, so I know good sound when I hear it and still enjoy listening to the 681's. I use them in the office to listen to internet radio via a DAC and they are more comfortable than the Samson's over a long period. I sweat around the ears when I wear the Samson's and not with the 681's. In fact, a friend of mine is using the Samson's right now and I think I will just let him keep them.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 10
  Well I'm considering buying one of this to Budget Kings, and i was wondering which one do you headfiers think is better, i have tried the Samson and thought they were quite good but for nerly the same price you can get the 681 evo, that have a very good reviews. So I'm letting it up to you to help me choose the best pair for an all around best spending.

It would cost $16 to get "Made in China" no-name Velour ear pads for the SR-850.
I was lucky enough to get a good price on AKG K240 Velour ear pads for my SR-850.
Technically the HD681 and SR-850 use the same size ear pads.

I would say to give the HD681 EVOs a shot.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 10

I happen to own both of these cans and prefer the 681 Evo's  for comfort and sound.

Originally Posted by PurpleAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would say to give the HD681 EVOs a shot.

I ended up getting the HD681 EVO's. I tried them stock for a few days and compared them to the A700x's (it's the only cans I had around to do a side by side comparison, but i have heard many cans before). After some break in, I made some of the modifications mentioned by Solderdude in a PDF. After even more break in, I compared it to the A700x's once more and listened to several differences:

Low's
Definitely way more bass in the HD681 EVOs than the AT's. Bass was more boomy at first but after some mods and break in (velour, felt removal, covering up some vents, no filter), bass sounded a bit more controlled and punchy. If you want very controlled bass then install a filter.

Mids and highs
Definitely there is a lot to talk about here. From what I discovered, there are two versions of the HD681 EVO's. The newer version comes with additional velour pads and a lot of little factory improvements (better rubber band, different vent covering material, etc.), the old version doesn't. The mids and highs vary between these two as well, mostly around the 5k range where there was a significant -db drop in the older version that has been since improved. The stock HD681 EVOs initially sounded a bit muddled, but after some break in, plus the mods, the sound became way more comparable to the ATs. The ATs still have the edge in sound quality and clarity, but for the price difference, I was absolutely impressed on what the EVO's were presenting to my ears. Besides, many EVO users have reported that these cans get even better after 100-150 hours of break in, so kudos to that.

Sound-stage
The original A700s, although i have never tried them, are widely known to have some of the best and widest sound-stage for the money. I have the A700xs and I was blown away when I first heard them. I listened to 3D audio, surround sound videos and games while making my comparisons with the EVO's. The A700xs still have the upper hand by a slight margin, but the EVO's did not disappoint at all and are just behind. There is roughly a 15-25% difference in the sound-stage clarity, but i believe that has to do with the superiority in the AT's mids and highs clarity. However, i believe that in terms of sound-stage depth, there is a significantly smaller margin of about 5-10%, although it felt like the EVOs had a more defined circular stage (more on that below). In regards to pinpoint accuracy, i believe this is very subjective with in recording quality, the amp you use, the type of surround sound technology, your mind and how spatially conscious you are, the modifications you have made to the EVO's, and many more factors. I was able to accurately position sound cues on both cans very well. Both cans have a different way of executing it. The A700xs are good at orientating me when things are to the side or behind, but drowned a bit when things are in front or above, whereas the EVO's seemed to have a slight better circumnaural accuracy. Regardless of which cans you use, accuracy gets VERY confusing when there are a lot of cues at once.

After 40-50 hours so far i can say that these cans have exceeded my expectations, and they only cost me $37 dollars versus $135. They are definitely comfortable and are getting better by the day. Go Superlux. I ended up returning my A700xs, period.

Hope this helps and reply if you have more specific questions.
Saludos

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 10
Bump.

I'd like to buy a 668B or similar headphone, not sure which to get between the 668B, 681, 681 Evo, or SR850. From what I understand, the 668B is recommendable over the 681's deeper bass, weaker mids, shriller/sibilant highs (though can be made better with modding, not sure if it's better then 668b though). Then for 668b vs SR850, I have no idea which would be preferable, which is more comfortable.

I listen to electronic and indie (think justice, kravinsky, Daft punk, over deadmau5, stonebridge, house or skillex/dubstep) and like animal collective. 

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Necro- (please withhold your stone throwing)

I'm trying to decide between these two headphones and can't decide. Could someone help me please?

These headphones are going to be used exclusively for music. I listen to a lot of vocal-centric music (e,g. John Legend, Sam Smith, Janelle Monae, R&B/Soul in general), which headphone would be better suited for me?

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Necro- (please withhold your stone throwing)

I'm trying to decide between these two headphones and can't decide. Could someone help me please?

These headphones are going to be used exclusively for music. I listen to a lot of vocal-centric music (e,g. John Legend, Sam Smith, Janelle Monae), which headphone would be better suited for me?

I prefer the EVOs by a wide margin, they have much better bass and smooth but well extended highs, the Samson/668b are way too bright and peaky in the lower to mid treble givibg it a very artificial and mettalic sound and voices sound thin. However it has exceptional clarity and very transparent so source+files are important. The EVO is much more forgiving in this aspect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back