Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Nov 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #1,201 of 1,284
Quote:

Is the decision to give more choice to customers?

Yes. We were going to do two versions, but it gets pretty expensive to support. We are currently planning (again, not final) to have the IVY-II stack and have very short pathing to maintain performance.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #1,204 of 1,284
any eta? sometime before spring? -_-

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #1,206 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I follow... upgrade to the new version of the DAC?

In other words with the revised version your working on, have you considered making the modules to the same footprint as the current Buffalo32 module?

It would make a lot of sense for a DIYer to simply exchange modules rather than the daunting task of a complete re-build.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #1,208 of 1,284
Yeah have the core board with the DAC, input header and digital power regs the same size as the buff32s.

Then where the flanking integrated IVYII used to be you can simply have blank space (think the epsilon22 back panel from AMB) with pin socket headers.
Then we could choose the (two: left and right) modules that we wanted and mount them to the digital board with (bottom mounted) pin headers (like how the gamma1/2 fits together).

That way new customers have a all the choice they want and old customers have an upgrade path =P

That could be a lot of work though O.O

Edit: you posted before me oops hehe.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,209 of 1,284
Well, we are kinda beyond that part of the design stage already. You should be able to fit the new version in the same or less space as the old version. The other output stages are not complete yet so I can't comment on how big they will be.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #1,210 of 1,284
Hi

After many hours of reading about this Dac, i really want to try one. However, with my lack of electronic knowledge, i am unable to do this intense DIY.

Is there any place i can buy the complete version of this DAC?

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #1,211 of 1,284
It’s really not that intense, the dac comes as a complete assembled board, you only really have to build the psu’s and there relatively simple. Most of the work depending on your budget is with chassis itself.
You don’t have to have a huge amount of electronic knowledge to put one together (I don’t, and did) although I would not recommend this as a first time build as there’s still mains wiring to contend with.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #1,212 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s really not that intense, the dac comes as a complete assembled board, you only really have to build the psu’s and there relatively simple. Most of the work depending on your budget is with chassis itself.
You don’t have to have a huge amount of electronic knowledge to put one together (I don’t, and did) although I would not recommend this as a first time build as there’s still mains wiring to contend with.

thank you for the reply, this have bring some light to me abit.

If i really have to build, yes It will be my first time. I only have some small expreience of making diy IC and headphone cable. Basic soldering will be fine for me... (more confident, after i soldered the HD800 connectors)

When you say "you only really have to build the psu’s and there relatively simple. Most of the work depending on your budget is with chassis itself. "

does this mean...

1. i have to build my own PSU from some capcitors and transformers? (if i use the right terms)

2. chassis means metal box + wires + all sockets
3. Is there any other component else i would need?

cheers,

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #1,213 of 1,284
1) There are psu’s kits available from Twisted Pair Audio, they also sell suitable transformers.
2) Yes that’s right.
3) That may depend, on what kind of inputs you need and how many?

Have you had a look here:
Twisted Pear Audio

There’s a lot of info that may help.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #1,214 of 1,284
Lets say i need a Dac with

2x single end output
2x balance output
1x USB input
2x Coax Input
1x on/off switch
1x input selector ( if needed)

Besides these component below.... whats else i need

- Some sockets and chassis

- wires (copper or silver)

-# Buffalo32s DAC + Dual-Mono Power Supply Combination [1] Buffalo DAC Module with Integrated I/V Stage (Assembled and Tested)
# [1] Low-Current Dual Power Supply Kit
# [2] Low-Current Bi-Polar Power Supply Kits

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #1,215 of 1,284
tarnajiro, I’d shoot Brian from TPA an email he’ll sort you out, there on holidays till the 4th. I’d also wait till the new updated Buffalo II is available later this month before placing any orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back