Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Oct 25, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #1,171 of 1,284
Nothing on the 300$ range?
frown.gif

How is the Opus DAC in comparision?

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #1,172 of 1,284
Buffalo dac is a refrence dropkick the face DAC it is not gonna be had for $300. Opus is great and sounds fantastic. Opus beats out most dacs in the range of dacmagic, and others around $500ish. The Buffalo has been favored to several thousand dollar DACs though.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #1,173 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found, and others, that the buff does seem to draw a little bit more than it mentions in the manual. A shunt I was using to power the VA section fell over (fell to 4V) when set to supply 20mA more than detailed in the manual. Increased the current, and the o/p voltage stayed steady and stable at 15V. There is no problem with setting the current too high, apart from the reg getting warmer, and as it's approaching winter here in the UK, you can have your B32 doubling as a local heater!

By the way, if you are powering the B32 with just the LCDPS/LCBPS supplies, I personally feel that you are missing a good chunk of what this dac is capable of doing, musically. I've used both the Simplistic Salas Shunt (over at DIYAudio) and Paul Hynes shunts, and they provide a substantially better musical performance than a LM317/337 based supply. I've not tried the new TP placid shunts, but I would consider that they provide a similar improvement over the basic LCDPS/LCBPS, and they also appear to be very good value for money.

yes, this is my feeling as well, i'm hoping the placids improve an already very nice dac. i'm also looking at some paul hynes bits and pieces for the dac board, but may focus more on output stage, such as a transformer based volume control, knocking out output and attenuation in one go or as Natonrice suggested building myself a diamond buffer. but first to actually get this thing in a proper box so I can post a pic
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #1,174 of 1,284
diamond buffer? Did naton use that for his even though he runs it straight to the b22?

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #1,175 of 1,284
He does indeed run it straight to his b22.
Qusp was looking for ideas for driving his iems using the buff.
A unity gain/buffer at the output would be ideal I thought.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #1,176 of 1,284
indeed, Nat does
wink.gif
as he has already just said
wink.gif
we have just been kicking ideas around for me, that give me a very nice output without having to build an entire new amp. I think I would definitely have enough room to simply incorporate it into the current case, and if not I have a few smallish hammonds that would work well

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #1,178 of 1,284
Well what I refereed him to was the JISBOS.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #1,180 of 1,284
Hehe I knew I was missing something there
wink.gif

I missed that, thanks for the linky!

Edit: that looks to be your standard board size. Qusp, that would stack really nicely in your enclosure me thinks =]

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #1,182 of 1,284
Been watching the TP site but don't see any word on availability of the kits. Any word?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back