Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Oct 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #1,141 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to call them, not send an e-mail. So I'll hope for the best.

Are you going to ask their opinion on how it sounds? Or how to design your own DAC using the Buffalo so that you can run dual mono? I will place my bet that the specs sheet has told you all anyone you get on the phone will be able to help you with. You should ask for someone whom you can acquire the chips from while your at it so that you can get right on that.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #1,142 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you going to ask their opinion on how it sounds? Or how to design your own DAC using the Buffalo so that you can run dual mono? I will place my bet that the specs sheet has told you all anyone you get on the phone will be able to help you with. You should ask for someone whom you can acquire the chips from while your at it so that you can get right on that.

I'm only going to ask if there are benefits using the chips in a dual mono configuration vs. single chip as well as prices for 2 chips. I'm not going to ask them about the Buffalo obviously since they don't make it, nor would I ask them for a course on DAC design.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #1,143 of 1,284
And what is that going to achieve? Nobody has yet designed a two-chip dual mono Sabre32, so even if you decide you want one, you can't have one
rolleyes.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #1,146 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what is that going to achieve? Nobody has yet designed a two-chip dual mono Sabre32, so even if you decide you want one, you can't have one
rolleyes.gif

not quite correct, there is a new option actually based here in OZ, but thats too OT I wont mention it here. hopefully TP release this tweakers build soon or they might find themselves behind with things that are going on with sabre chips elsewhere on smaller scale. I know I would have thought twice had I been buying now.

now i'm not saying the TP guys arent doing a great job or that the buffalo32 kits and resulting dacs arent great products, because they most certainly are, but the current non-tweakers build is certainly not ideal for anyone wishing to do different I/V and PSU stages. and yes there is a true dual mono dual dac version with simple pads for everything

anyway, for the point of this post
wink.gif
I just bought 2 x placid BP for the I/V stages, anyone running them yet?? just wondering what sort of heat they give off?? when I planned and bought my case I wasnt thinking of the placid and therefore with the small amount of heat given off, I havent planned for venting the top panel. There is plenty of room for ventilation and I could send the top in with my front panel this week when I get that done, but would rather avoid the ex[pense if its not needed. I gather the shunts will run considerably hotter than the standard power supplies, but how much hotter. problem is the meter I have, has a bug in the software that means the temperature probes are inaccurate and not worth using. I bought the meter with this knowledge and got a good price because of it; at the time it wasnt a feature that meant a great deal to me. am I worrying about nothing?? or should I really pony-up for venting of the top to be safe??

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #1,147 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not quite correct, there is a new option actually based here in OZ, but thats too OT I wont mention it here. hopefully TP release this tweakers build soon or they might find themselves behind with things that are going on with sabre chips elsewhere on smaller scale. I know I would have thought twice had I been buying now.

now i'm not saying the TP guys arent doing a great job or that the buffalo32 kits and resulting dacs arent great products, because they most certainly are, but the current non-tweakers build is certainly not ideal for anyone wishing to do different I/V and PSU stages. and yes there is a true dual mono dual dac version with simple pads for everything

I think that you seriously over-estimate the quantity of the lunatic fringe for products like this.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #1,148 of 1,284
maybe so, i'm not saying it will displace what is an established and well supported quality product, just saying if they did ever plan to do the tweakers build (and I wouldnt say the amount of interest has been insignificant would you??) then they may well have missed the boat.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #1,149 of 1,284
who are you calling a lunatic
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #1,150 of 1,284
The shunts will run hotter.
One option that avoids venting the top more than it already is would be to fix hot devices to the bottom panel and the on the other side affix a large flat heatsink from jaycar.
Won't see it and you might just get away with it
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #1,151 of 1,284
yeah the problem with the top panel at the moment is the vents are all towards the rear and only a fairly thin strip of them and I have the LCDPS at the back, the placids will be more towards the front. nice idea on the heatsink underneath. should work with the cones i'm using, since i'm only using 3 and will only have one at the front. perhapos I could use one of the spare LCBPS to drive a fan ;D

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #1,152 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah the problem with the top panel at the moment is the vents are all towards the rear and only a fairly thin strip of them and I have the LCDPS at the back, the placids will be more towards the front. nice idea on the heatsink underneath. should work with the cones i'm using, since i'm only using 3 and will only have one at the front. perhapos I could use one of the spare LCBPS to drive a fan ;D

Do you want to sell the other LCBPS?
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #1,153 of 1,284
Hi guys. Sorry to interrupt this nice discussion, but I am looking for an information. I saw somewhere, may be on this thread, someone who built a very nice Buffalo. He used LEDs on the front pannel, with the Mux to indicate what input was in use. I though this is a very nice job, but I lost the information and can't find it any more.
I am assembling my Buffalo now and I would like to find this post to have a better look.
If there is anyone among you that could link me with this post, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Jean-Charles

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #1,154 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. Sorry to interrupt this nice discussion, but I am looking for an information. I saw somewhere, may be on this thread, someone who built a very nice Buffalo. He used LEDs on the front pannel, with the Mux to indicate what input was in use. I though this is a very nice job, but I lost the information and can't find it any more.
I am assembling my Buffalo now and I would like to find this post to have a better look.
If there is anyone among you that could link me with this post, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Jean-Charles

Was that perhaps my Buffalo?
01010018.jpg

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #1,155 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you want to sell the other LCBPS?
icon10.gif

hmmm; well leave it with me, i'm looking for an excuse to use them both in a balanced SS amp project to use with the buffalo, but may still end up deciding to go hybrid or fully tube with it, in which case the LCBPS would be of no use, but they are quite useful little things. leave it with me. of course I have not even received the placid kits yet, who knows I may actually prefer the old PSU, but I somehow doubt it.

MrMajestic: what are you using to switch the DSD/PCM there?? an OTTO or some logic based device??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back