Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Aug 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #931 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
god the USPS international tracking is crap!! as son as it leaves the US it drops off the radar.

Try the Auspost tracking sites using the same consignment number: Australia Post- article tracking, parcel tracking item tracking

There are other Auspost tracking sites that it may come up on as well. Have a search around.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #932 of 1,284
A flurry of emails with John at parmetal yesterday and my case is on the way.

qusp, the package will take awhile to get to you. Hopefully this calms your nerves a little. This is how my tracking went.
Attempted Delivery Abroad, August 04, 2009, 11:54 am, AUSTRALIA
At Foreign Delivery Unit, August 03, 2009, 9:17 pm, AUSTRALIA
Out of Foreign Customs, August 03, 2009, 9:52 am, AUSTRALIA
Into Foreign Customs, August 03, 2009, 9:14 am, AUSTRALIA
Arrived Abroad, August 03, 2009, 9:14 am, AUSTRALIA
International Dispatch, July 29, 2009, 1:56 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Anyway, I am also awaiting the redesigned usb receiver module. Will order a second LCBPS to go dual mono then.

It has been a week since i got my b32s running (balanced direct to my HD650) and i must say i really like it. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but i believe I am hearing more detail and the HD650 sounds more balanced throughout the spectrum. The mid bass hump is less apparent.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #934 of 1,284
What usb redesign were you thinking about? 24/192? Anyone curious for that should check out the Musiland Monitor 01 USD, has optical, coax, bnc and does 24/192 fantastic and has Mac drivers coming soon. It outperformed my Bel Canto USBLink by features and outputs and sound is completely transparent. It's also cheap
biggrin.gif
. I probably going to wire mine into my Buffalo chassis so there is no dongle
popcorn.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #935 of 1,284
No, they were going to make a small panel mount unit like the toslink connector.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #936 of 1,284
hi Guys, well i'm wondering if anyone can help me with something re the buffalo grounding scheme. i'm trying to make all the interconnects i'm building for this rig as good as they can possibly be. now to do this, the best way IMO to make both coax and AES cables is to ground the shield at both ends and terminate both ends at the point it enters the case to chassis ground. is the grounding scheme on the Buff32 board going to be cool with that?? I mean I know that depends to an extent on how I put it together, but as long as chassis ground and audio ground are not linked at any point on the PCB then ground loops will not be an issue. I would rather not make inferior compromised interconnects just to be 'safe' by making them directional. i'm also looking at shielding all the connections between the boards via the same type of mechanism and running a separating 'wall' covered with copper foil around the trannies, so i'm assuming that there is a chassis ground set up for this purpose?? I mean being a fully balanced device I would think its cool, but all manner of pro audio gear ignores this simple rule, meaning that the shield in cables looses much of its usefulness; to the point that pretty much everyone in audiophile land and pro-audio makes cables with directional shields; even though the spec for coax and AES is to connect at both ends.

also, there isnt a more complete manual for the buff32 anywhere is there?? the PDF seems kinda..incomplete; or do I just get some bags of parts labeled and use the PCB layout docs and thats it?? I mean I know there is the headwize product announcement thread, but I cant even seem to find anything in there with the limited time I have had available so far. just a lot of banter about the upcoming release and its specs.

am I missing something?? is there a build thread?? or is it a test?? hehe I mean thats cool and all, but some sort of documentation would be nice. I dont need my hand held the whole way with a step by step or anything. no fun in that, but I cant help but feel i'm missing something and google only turns up this and that thread.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #937 of 1,284
Since the MUX receiver utilizes transformer coupled inputs and outputs, it doesn't really matter. Personally I like to isolate all chassis connectors, then run a star ground scheme inside, whose central point is connected via a ground loop breaker to chassis ground. Some people left the audio ground floating, but it's better when the audio ground potential is defined to the earth's one.

Just pay attention where your grounds run (i.e. with a digital multimeter). Make sure there are no duplicate paths. For example, if you use the MUX's SPDIF output you should ground the board, but when using the I2S output, it's already grounded with the GND wire. Make sure that the analog and digital ground never mix, they should be connected at one single point (look in the buffalo manual, they may be already connected on the board).

It is advisable to tie the shield on both cable ends. If the grounding is done well, there should be no problems. Just imagine what a disconnected shield will do with 4-channel balanced amps that are not truly differential (beta22, ...)

The copper foil around the trannies won't help any purpose. If the shielding isn't made of high permeability material, it won't stop the magnetic interference. Better use some mu-metal foil. I personally use the MagnetShield.

If you need a guidance with the shielding, look at this thread over at diyaudio. The image bellow is IMHO the absolute best way to ground components though a bit overkill from a safety standpoint:

attachment.php

If you need a single chassis just mentally "join" the two boxes together and remove the green chassis/safety ground for the second box. When designing your star grounding scheme, picture all the currents that are flowing through the ground. If they are higher power or peaky and noisy in nature, they should have their separate conductor.

As to the manual, if you expect better step-by-step instructions a la AMB's projects, you expect in vain. It would be nice if Brian or Russ found the time and improved the instructions, but they're more than busy now with shipping the Buffalos (hey, when is mine going to ship?
smile.gif
)

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #938 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the MUX receiver utilizes transformer coupled inputs and outputs, it doesn't really matter. Personally I like to isolate all chassis connectors, then run a star ground scheme inside, whose central point is connected via a ground loop breaker to chassis ground. Some people left the audio ground floating, but it's better when the audio ground potential is defined to the earth's one.

interesting, you know I had been toying with the idea of star grounding the cable and dac shields to an outside ground source, like tying it to a big length of 12AWG UPOCC copper which is then clamped to the plumbing. its a bit pie in the sky, but I have heard good results from a friends system that uses this method. only viable if you are building everything in the system.

also just before reading your post had come across the concept (again) of transformer coupling; well that makes for a good SE implementation as well; nice
wink.gif

Quote:

Just pay attention where your grounds run (i.e. with a digital multimeter). Make sure there are no duplicate paths. For example, if you use the MUX's SPDIF output you should ground the board, but when using the I2S output, it's already grounded with the GND wire. Make sure that the analog and digital ground never mix, they should be connected at one single point (look in the buffalo manual, they may be already connected on the board).

good info/reminders, thanks for that.

Quote:

It is advisable to tie the shield on both cable ends. If the grounding is done well, there should be no problems.

exactly my point
biggrin.gif
, but even many experienced builders do not do this, because of the nightmare of other people's gear/designs. so the implementation is often kinda half-assed

Quote:

Just imagine what a disconnected shield will do with 4-channel balanced amps that are not truly differential (beta22, ...)

yowsa yeah

Quote:

The copper foil around the trannies won't help any purpose. If the shielding isn't made of high permeability material, it won't stop the magnetic interference. Better use some mu-metal foil. I personally use the MagnetShield.

cool, i'll check that out, I actually have some Mumetal around here, but probably not enough, also have some ERS tape, foil is just something I have plenty of and I guess i'm trying to apply some cable logic to areas that it doesnt apply.

Quote:

If you need a guidance with the shielding, look at this thread over at diyaudio. The image bellow is IMHO the absolute best way to ground components though a bit overkill from a safety standpoint:

attachment.php

cool, will try and find the time to study that properly; thats the problem with this is that i'm going to be impatient to get it done, but at the same time i'm sooooo busy with my cables biz ATM that finding the time to get it done properly is going to be difficult. I can just hobble it together temporarily though I guess (terminal blocks) and work on the final design/chassis for however long it takes.

Quote:

If you need a single chassis just mentally "join" the two boxes together and remove the green chassis/safety ground for the second box. When designing your star grounding scheme, picture all the currents that are flowing through the ground. If they are higher power or peaky and noisy in nature, they should have their separate conductor.

yeah well i'd love to do a 2 box build, but i've already redlined my budget on this as it is, getting 2 cases of this quality done would just be far too costly. suppose the PSU chassis could be done on the cheap though.

Quote:

As to the manual, if you expect better step-by-step instructions a la AMB's projects, you expect in vain. It would be nice if Brian or Russ found the time and improved the instructions, but they're more than busy now with shipping the Buffalos (hey, when is mine going to ship?
smile.gif
)

no no, i've come into this knowing its not like an AMB project and i'm kinda glad it isnt; not because they dont do a good job, because they do a great job, but I kinda wanted to be thrown in the deep end a little more with this. All the same though, something in between would be nice. not so much a step by step, because thats kinda like drawing by numbers, but just more complete documentation. You are totally right; those guys are run off their feet as it is and its great that this even exists, so i'm not complaining. just trying to get my head in the right space for doing this the right way, with the constraints that I have on my time and trying to keep my ambition in check a little.

thanks for taking the time to put together such a great and helpful post man; much appreciated.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #939 of 1,284
Hi, new here....but what would the minimum I would need to order for a simple SE buffalo dac? Will be replacing a Lavry dac going into a ZDT running Senn HD800.
Do not really need usb input...as I have a"classic" freeway...but if it makes sense to add it, then which parts then to get?
I think I have found a builder for it, as I am just a simple solderer. But he left on trip and has been off line...before we got to discuss the parts list.
thanks

edit:
I'm thinking
1. Dac + dual mono PS combo kit
2.Toslink module
3.15v +15v transformer
4.9v+9v transformer
at the minimum?
add 4:1 MUX and the usb receiver/dac if I want to go usb? case and sundry parts can be added later...

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #940 of 1,284
First, you wouldn't need the dual mono for a "minimum" build. If you do go dual mono, then you would want 2 of the 15V trafos. The 4:1 MUX isn't necessary, you could just add a simple switch. If you did add the 4:1, you might as well add a simple coax in as well. That's about it for the guts. Case and sundries wouldn't be trivial especially if you have multiple outs, so be sure to spend time thinking through that as well.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #941 of 1,284
Quote:

hi Guys, well i'm wondering if anyone can help me with something re the buffalo grounding scheme. i'm trying to make all the interconnects i'm building for this rig as good as they can possibly be. now to do this, the best way IMO to make both coax and AES cables is to ground the shield at both ends and terminate both ends at the point it enters the case to chassis ground. is the grounding scheme on the Buff32 board going to be cool with that?? I mean I know that depends to an extent on how I put it together, but as long as chassis ground and audio ground are not linked at any point on the PCB then ground loops will not be an issue. I would rather not make inferior compromised interconnects just to be 'safe' by making them directional. i'm also looking at shielding all the connections between the boards via the same type of mechanism and running a separating 'wall' covered with copper foil around the trannies, so i'm assuming that there is a chassis ground set up for this purpose?? I mean being a fully balanced device I would think its cool, but all manner of pro audio gear ignores this simple rule, meaning that the shield in cables looses much of its usefulness; to the point that pretty much everyone in audiophile land and pro-audio makes cables with directional shields; even though the spec for coax and AES is to connect at both ends.

Do not ground your connections to the chassis. Keep them isolated and run them directly to the Buffalo. Grounding is all taken care of there. Connect the mains ground (earth) to the chassis. If you want, you can link your power supply output grounds to the chassis, but it is not strictly required. I would not link any of the digital or analog signal grounds to the chassis, as you will likely end up with a nice ground loop.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #942 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, you wouldn't need the dual mono for a "minimum" build. If you do go dual mono, then you would want 2 of the 15V trafos. The 4:1 MUX isn't necessary, you could just add a simple switch. If you did add the 4:1, you might as well add a simple coax in as well. That's about it for the guts. Case and sundries wouldn't be trivial especially if you have multiple outs, so be sure to spend time thinking through that as well.

thanks!

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #943 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not ground your connections to the chassis. Keep them isolated and run them directly to the Buffalo. Grounding is all taken care of there. Connect the mains ground (earth) to the chassis. If you want, you can link your power supply output grounds to the chassis, but it is not strictly required. I would not link any of the digital or analog signal grounds to the chassis, as you will likely end up with a nice ground loop.

thanks Brian, so all connectors are isolated. and to both you a Russ, really great job on the kits. last night over a couple of hours, while doing some other work, I was able to knock up the mux, 2 x LCDPS, OTTO and started on the LCBPS. the boards arew so well laid out and the kits so well put together that at least for these lessor boards, I was able to run prety much on automatic, taking the design in as I went.

so after a bit of a kip, some business related work and a couple coffees, i'm gonna go ahead with the Buf32 board. then I can have a good think about the final layout. ^^ that will make things much easier I tell ye, now I just need to work out how i'm going to shield off the trannies. so brian, seeing as I received 2 x 25v toroids instead of 2 x 15v (as discussed), is there anything that I need to adjust personally, or have you already changed some parts? or is the only adjustment needed, done by changing the 'pot' on the power supplies??

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #944 of 1,284
Quote:

I just need to work out how i'm going to shield off the trannies. so brian, seeing as I received 2 x 25v toroids instead of 2 x 15v (as discussed), is there anything that I need to adjust personally, or have you already changed some parts? or is the only adjustment needed, done by changing the 'pot' on the power supplies??

How were you planning on shielding? afaik anything short of mu-metal like stuff is not worth the effort. Perhaps that new stuff from lessemf...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #945 of 1,284
Quote:

thanks Brian, so all connectors are isolated. and to both you a Russ, really great job on the kits. last night over a couple of hours, while doing some other work, I was able to knock up the mux, 2 x LCDPS, OTTO and started on the LCBPS. the boards arew so well laid out and the kits so well put together that at least for these lessor boards, I was able to run prety much on automatic, taking the design in as I went.

so after a bit of a kip, some business related work and a couple coffees, i'm gonna go ahead with the Buf32 board. then I can have a good think about the final layout. ^^ that will make things much easier I tell ye, now I just need to work out how i'm going to shield off the trannies. so brian, seeing as I received 2 x 25v toroids instead of 2 x 15v (as discussed), is there anything that I need to adjust personally, or have you already changed some parts? or is the only adjustment needed, done by changing the 'pot' on the power supplies??

The trafos are 15V, but 25VA instead of 15VA (this is due to a temporary shortage of the 15VA at Avel). Just adjust the trimmer on the PSUs to set the desired voltage as usual.

Toroidal transformers have very very low leakage; the leakage they do have is generally on the axis on the hole. I have mounted transformers right under the power supplies with no adverse effects, so you could try no shielding at first before spending a lot of time and money on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back