Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Aug 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #242 of 1,284
There's a lot of info out there on how to solder SOIC opamps, but here is how I do it with regular solder**:

Using a sharp point solder tip and fine gauge solder, I put a small dab of solder on one of the corner pin pads. I then hold the opamp in position with tweezers and touch that pin/pad with the soldering iron, so it is soldered in place. This leaves the opamp locked in position. I then touch the next pin and pad (at the junction) for a few seconds to heat it up and touch it with solder to put a tiny amount of solder on. I just work my way around the chip. Takes about 30 seconds total after the first pin is attached.

** I actually normally use solder paste from a syringe. I put a tiny dab on each pad, then plop the opamp on, then touch each of the pins with the iron. Done. If you do a lot of smd soldering, I can't recommend paste in a syringe highly enough. It's easier then through-hole soldering.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #243 of 1,284
Thanks Brian, got it done but will try the easier path next time around. Never thought I would have to use a magnifying glass!
wink.gif

Another question:

For those of us using both balanced and SE outputs on the IVY, which values do you recommend for R9-12 and R13-16 or do we need to pick one set or the other? Thanks!

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #244 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a lot of info out there on how to solder SOIC opamps, but here is how I do it with regular solder**:

Tangent has a video of exactly that procedure......

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #245 of 1,284
Quote:

For those of us using both balanced and SE outputs on the IVY, which values do you recommend for R9-12 and R13-16 or do we need to pick one set or the other? Thanks!

You should use the standard 2K in all positions.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #246 of 1,284
After a productive day, my Buffalo made its first sounds......

buffalolives1qg0.jpg

buffalolives2qq4.jpg

All of the wiring I have done is temporary, and there is still a fair bit of wiring work to be done for the OTTO, LEDs and TOSLINK. I'm waiting on some Teflon SPC wire from navships. You can see the spare space for another LCDPS when Brian has them back in stock.

At first listen, the sound is good. SPDIF lock is less than a second from my Camrbidge Audio 540Dv2, which I am very happy with.

The only issue I have had so far is with the OTTO. Pin 2 randomly pops up 10-80ohms resistance. I have reflowed the joints, but I think it is in the relay. I don't need all 4 pins, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #249 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No

WUHOO! I knew I liked you Brian, or did your business manager make you say that?
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #255 of 1,284
Have a small problem with the LCBPS, I can't get the +/- below around 16 to 17 volts. The heat sinks are getting hot too. Pretty sure I soldered it together right. The little screws on the voltage regulator have hit their end and keep clicking without a drop in the voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back