Tweak output stage of PIMETA
Oct 22, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
There's not a lot of spare room on the left side of the left buffer on the pimeta when using a RK27 'blue velvet' pot - are you sure this will fit? I used an SMD buffer and vertical resistor for my adapters and it's a snug fit.

Edit: Well, I think there is going to be enough clearance because there is the resistor next to the socket. The thing that concerns me is the jfets for class-a. If they are flush with the board and the buffer is socketed I think it will be ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
Edit: Also, you might want to move those two topmost traces more apart. eyeballing it, it doesn't look nearly far enough apart.

Yeah, it looked better when I had it open in Eagle. I already fixed it, I was just too lazy to update the picture.
redface.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #32 of 68
I upgraded recently from stacked 634s to diamond buffers (the link is in my sig). Sound opened up quite a lot and bass got tighter. The only downside is power consumption went up 2-3 times, reg needs a heatsink

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #34 of 68
If you're using Tangent's PCB, you should slice the DB board in half.

My board is in the sig, it's fully socketed. No problem fitting those DBs, except a very slight bend of the fast powercaps. On the other hand, I doubt you could run single-channel opamps as there no room for BrownDog b/w DBs.

I could take pic, but it looks cluttered b/s all transistors are socketed for tweaking purposes
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee
It can be done:

Mother of God that is a sight. Nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill
pddjsteve

if you decide to get some of these guys made, count me in for a dozen or so!

Well, I had a bit of dumb luck with the ones I etched. I went to solder it up, and discovered that I'd left the "mirror" option checked in eagle... so the bottom layer got reversed and etched on top
frown.gif
Then, of course, my second batch came out really crappy. I'm almost to the point of wanting to get some prototypes made just to skip all this hassle. I think I'm going to give one more shot to home etching it.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee
It can be done:

Good job!

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #38 of 68
too bad you can't fit an alps with these... unless you use like 6 dip sockets and have the board really high

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #39 of 68
Well, here is a slightly reworked HA5002->BUF634 adapter with an input resistor. Since the last version, I switched the parts in eagle around to make it look a lot better. I used a different dip8 for the buffer, so the oblong pads are gone. I also switched to using wirepads for the pins that will connect down to the board so that I could use a larger hole size to accomodate the pins I removed from a dip socket. I rerouted some of the traces, too.

I'm going to give one more shot at doing a home etch, depending on how that goes (i.e. if I screw it up again) I am considering just biting the bullet and ordering from somewhere (BatchPCB or Olimex I think).

HA5002-Final%20(Custom).png

Oct 25, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by pddjsteve
Well, here is a slightly reworked HA5002->BUF634 adapter with an input resistor. Since the last version, I switched the parts in eagle around to make it look a lot better. I used a different dip8 for the buffer, so the oblong pads are gone. I also switched to using wirepads for the pins that will connect down to the board so that I could use a larger hole size to accomodate the pins I removed from a dip socket. I rerouted some of the traces, too.

I'm going to give one more shot at doing a home etch, depending on how that goes (i.e. if I screw it up again) I am considering just biting the bullet and ordering from somewhere (BatchPCB or Olimex I think).

HA5002-Final%20(Custom).png

Just second thought.

If you use SO8 HA5002 and surface mount resistor, you can easily do HA5002x2/channel on a PCB with size almost same as SO8 to DIP adapter like this one.
020302topbot.jpg

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Just second thought.

If you use SO8 HA5002 and surface mount resistor, you can easily do HA5002x2/channel on a PCB with size almost same as SO8 to DIP adapter like this one.
020302topbot.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The ones I have on hand are DIP, though, otherwise I'd definitely go the SMD route. A friend of mine passed them along to me, so I didn't argue the form factor for a freebie
cool.gif
. I did use the browndogs for the LMH6321 since it was only SMD.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #43 of 68
pddjsteve:

I just checked out BatchPCB's website, and one you're done with the Eagle files, I'd probably take the lead and try to order a couple from BatchPCB if you could post the Eagle files... seems the design is pretty much worked out to me at least.

-Marc

Oct 25, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #45 of 68
I'd check Digikey under the MillMax pin receptacles and P.C. pins section. I've used some of the right angle ones for some Schottky bridge PCBs I did (pn. ED5058-ND) before and they worked great.

You might be able to pull pins from a machined-pin DIP socket and use those also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back