TV - 1080p & 1080i : Can You Tell The Difference?
Apr 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #46 of 86
The kuro delivers an excellent picture it is just beyond my budget so
when i replace my panasonic it will probably be another one only a
50incher this time.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #47 of 86
Apr 13, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #48 of 86
I think I'm pretty much decided on either current line Kuro (not the one coming out soon) or the new ones from Panasonic.

I read that even the new Panasonic can't even beat current Kuro in terms of image quality. That must say something about it.

I'm not gonna buy it now but wait til August or at least 2-3 months from now. If by that time Kuros are all sold out already, then I'll just get whatever the best on that price range during that time.

I think you can't go wrong to hold off purchases especially electronics/TVs right? Price is always going down as far as I know.

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #52 of 86
I really want that Kuro, and good thing is I've made my partner agreed to get the 50" Kuro in the future. But the thing is we won't be getting it til around August, I'm afraid that it would be sold out by then...

Hey just wondering, have you seen the new Panasonic Plasmas (720p ones) in the store showing some high def content (not crappy TV stuff)?

I know that they're already in US, I'm just wondering how good is the new non-full HD plasmas from Panasonic...

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #53 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey just wondering, have you seen the new Panasonic Plasmas (720p ones) in the store showing some high def content (not crappy TV stuff)?

I know that they're already in US, I'm just wondering how good is the new non-full HD plasmas from Panasonic...

Well, before I purchased my own Panasonic plasma I compared several models at stores for some time. In one store they had similarly priced Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas side by side, both 50", and both were 720p. Both were playing exactly the same DVD content in sync; it was a cartoon film, iirc The Incredibles. Both panels basically looked equally great to my eyes, until the final scrolling credits came up. The Panasonic looked clearly better. On the Pioneer, the little white letters scrolled up having borders that seemed to change colors rapidly between white and red and blue. The Panasonic had perfectly white patches of letters scrolling up smoothly with no such border artifacts.

That Pioneer I guess wasn't a Kuro, because this was almost two years ago, but still, it was a nice Pioneer though. It wasn't clear to me whether the artifact was caused by the panel's video circuitry, or maybe some sort of interference in the connections; it was strange that only the Pioneer would pick up an interference, while the Panasonic right at its side didn't. Not sure if both had the same type of connections to the DVD player though. I assume they should have had the same connection, e.g. both component cables, or both at least S-Video cables.

In any case, even though the Pioneer might have an allegedly best of market model right now, I think in some price ranges the Panasonics might outdo Pioneers.

Both Pioneers and Panasonics always end up in Top-10 lists of plasmas anyway. Usually more than one model for each of these brands. So either brand is a solid buy for sure:

Plasma Television Buying Guide: View the Top 10 Plasma TV Models
Top 10 50-inch and over Plasma TVs - Fall 2006 - Plasma TV Reviews - Your Online Resource for Plasma TV Reviews
Best 5 HDTVs we've reviewed - CNET Reviews
Top 10 Most Popular HDTV Plasma TVs, LCD TVs, DLP TVs, and Projection TVs by Price

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #54 of 86
It will be interesting to go see the new panasonics when they are available as a friend told me that went to ces said the difference
between the 2 are very narrow now and the fact that they will both
be sharing each others technologies on the next batch.

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #55 of 86
Hey can someone who owns Panasonic/Pioneer Plasma try to use the headphone out socket with their headphones please?

I wanna know how good (bad?) the headphone out is; I mean is there any hissing in the background, or the sound is too tinny, etc etc...

At least if it performs equal to, say, a headphone out of a Discman, I'd be happy enough.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #56 of 86
Mine is the model without a headphone jack but if i may make a suggestion it would be to use the optical out which they all have and
use a dac/amp to headphone which will give you the best your going
to get or from the optical out to a prepro/rec like i do and use the
headphone out in the rec.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #57 of 86
See the thing is I don't have an amp with optical out. I have a Stax amp but that one is purely for music.

There must be someone here who owns a Plasma can chime in on this regard?

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #58 of 86
Little late in posting, but if your price range is a Panasonic 1080i plasma....my vote is go for it! You're right, at the size and distance you're viewing, 1080p vs 1080i TV sets aren't as much an issue. All plasmas de-interlace to progressive: the main difference between a "1080i" TV vs "1080p" is that the native resolution of a 1080i is actually 768p. If you play 1080i or 1080p source material on a 1080i set, you're getting more resolution over 720p. This is one of the main reasons movie stations broadcast in 1080i. You might get motion artifacts at frame rates over 30fps....hence why sports channels broadcast at 720p. You'll still see a difference in quality playing a Blu-Ray title on your 1080i set vs watching HDTV.....the main reason being that there's no artifacts from compression the way cable has to. I suspect that was also what was going on with the Kuro display you were watching at your AV store......more then likely they had some huge video hub that degraded the signal enough that the TV couldn't sync audio with video.

As for PQ differences between the top of the line Pioneer Kuro and other plasmas......it all seems to boil down to color reproduction. The Kuros are the best image I've seen from any TV.....plasmas seem so much better at color range over LCDs. I'm thinking about getting a large screen Kuro when US cable goes all digital. Until then, I've got my old Panasonic. To me, it seems that the Kuros are a bit of a price premium for that little extra in picture quality. Both Samsung and Panasonic make some quality plasmas that have good PQ as well. Those are the 3 brands I'd recommend considering.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #59 of 86
Here in Australia, they are starting to discount the non Full HD Kuro already, people were getting it for around AUS$2,700 for 50" Kuro. I think that's an excellent price for the TV.

Unfortunately I still have to wait at least a few more months before I can afford it. I hope by that time they still have those Kuros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back