TV - 1080p & 1080i : Can You Tell The Difference?
Apr 6, 2008 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking to buy a 'proper' TV to replace my small LCD TV, but not 100% sure yet - still in the reading and gathering info phase and see if it's actually a good time to buy TV sometime this year.

Then I came across this 1080p vs. 1080i thing, but what I wanna know is, for all you TV geeks out there, can you honestly tell the difference between those two?

I read that screen size and also viewing distance are also the deciding factors in this regards, but say, if the TV I'm getting is 42" max (definitely can't afford anything bigger than that) and viewing distance is around 3 metres, do you think there will be noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p when viewing true HD content?

Or any other tips I have to know when it comes to buying Plasma/LCD TV? Sometimes it's a bit confusing for me because the tips from 2 years ago might not be applicable today due to change and improvement in technology.

PS: If I decided to buy though, it would be mostly used for watching Bluray or playing PS3. (another thing to buy.. sigh..)

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 86
Found that panasonic is hard to beat for plasma and second to pioneer
kuro for picture quality but not by much and yes the 1080p is worth it
first because plasma's only do progressive natively so your choice would
be 768p or 1080p naturally the 1080p would give you all info provided
by sat/cable and if you get a blu-ray player it will really shine. i set 7ft
from my 42 panasonic and can see the difference between sd and hd.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kuro is definitely out of budget, hehe..

I was thinking something less than $1,500... I don't think I can get any decent 1080p within that price right?

Last time i looked on sale they were around 1600.00 for 1080p and 1100.00
for 768p do yourself a favor and scrimp and save for the 1080p they will come
down. All you have to do is listen to the peoples regrets that bought 480p
plasmas 3yrs ago 1080p will be around for a long long long time so if anyone
is worried about it becoming obsolete put that fear to rest the broadcast
industry ain't about to spend the billions for 4k which would be the next jump.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 86
If I were to buy it, it would be around August I think, when I got my tax return. I guess by then price should be down huh?
I am not familiar with Plasma and LCD price pattern. Can you usually get much more from the same money you have today compared to say, 4-5 months ago? (like in computers)

But I'm not still very sure if I need a large TV or not, hehe...

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 86
Yes and now i wish mine was a 50 never here anyone say that they
bought to big room aside now that hd occupies a lot of programing as
for lcd it just doesn't give me the eye candy that plasma supplies but
in the future with oled technology that may change but talking about
expensive 20 inch 1200.00 way out of my budget.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 86
Do they even make LCD or Plasmas that are 1080i? I thought they were all progressive?

Secondly, assuming there are 1080i HDTVs you are considering, I think progressive is much better for moving images than interlaced. The 1080i HDTVs never have close to 1080 lines on the screen at one time unless you are watching a still image. Joe Kane did a comparison of 720p HDTVs versus 1080i a while back that you may want to read. However, the main point was that progresive is better for video.

When we are talking about 1080p vs another progressive format, I think other factors come into play. Not all 1080p HDTVs are created the same. I have a 42 inch 1080p Westinghouse in my bedroom and it does not have the "shock and awe" factor of my Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV. The difference is not just the size. It is the black level, color accuracy, etc...

In other words, read some reviews of the top three TVs on your list and go from there.

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they even make LCD or Plasmas that are 1080i? I thought they were all progressive?

Secondly, assuming there are 1080i HDTVs you are considering, I think progressive is much better for moving images than interlaced. The 1080i HDTVs never have close to 1080 lines on the screen at one time unless you are watching a still image. Joe Kane did a comparison of 720p HDTVs versus 1080i a while back that you may want to read. However, the main point was that progresive is better for video.

When we are talking about 1080p vs another progressive format, I think other factors come into play. Not all 1080p HDTVs are created the same. I have a 42 inch 1080p Westinghouse in my bedroom and it does not have the "shock and awe" factor of my Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV. The difference is not just the size. It is the black level, color accuracy, etc...

In other words, read some reviews of the top three TVs on your list and go from there.

1)yes
2)yes
3)things like contrast,shades of gray,blacker than black and color gaumet
are just a few items but in the end what do your eyes tell you.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 86
Are we suppose to trust the paper specs of contrast ratio (eg. 15000, 10000, etc...) or refresh rate?

So I suppose the best way to test TVs is to see with your own eyes and compare? But the thing is, all shops around here they have all their TVs connected to same source showing the same thing, so I assume they won't be showing what the TVs can really do? (and not to mention if whether they even set the colours right, etc...)

Also they are things like durability, etc... From what I can gather is, generally speaking for Plasma, go for either Panasonic or Pioneer, and for LCD, Samsung or Sony right?

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 86
i just bought a 42" LCD that is 1080p.. got a good deal.. paid under $1000
biggrin.gif

will be showing up at my house tomorrow, can't wait.

I would go with 1080p. 1080i is good when there isn't much movement on the screen but if there is you can see artifacts. I would go with a LCD right now, they are lower priced and the black levels aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

If this is going to be your first set you won't notice a difference between the black levels on a plasma if you get a decent LCD... that is unless you are dropping $4,000 on a tv.

Burn in is still an issue with plasma. While it isn't that big of a problem for the most part nowadays you can still get image rentention if you play games on your tv that have a static HUD or if you leave the same image such as a menu on for a while.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we suppose to trust the paper specs of contrast ratio (eg. 15000, 10000, etc...) or refresh rate?

So I suppose the best way to test TVs is to see with your own eyes and compare? But the thing is, all shops around here they have all their TVs connected to same source showing the same thing, so I assume they won't be showing what the TVs can really do? (and not to mention if whether they even set the colours right, etc...)

Also they are things like durability, etc... From what I can gather is, generally speaking for Plasma, go for either Panasonic or Pioneer, and for LCD, Samsung or Sony right?

I usually don't recommend magazine testing because they are being paid by
sponsors but when its unanimous its hard to question and a test disc such
as AVIA and DVE will help you set up the picture accordingly.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 86
1080i is more equvalent to 720p, not really 1080p. because the two splitted pictures have to come together as one and then blurred to hide away the lines, but done fast so the eyes can't see.

^actaully i highly recommend seeing a tv with your own eyes, there are big differences. and ask to use the controller to set your own settings, because usually the lcd on display will have some kind of "dynamic color boost" gimmick that messes up the picture.

samsung has some of the best contrast in the market, but sony colors may be more realistic and less saturated. you'll probably look at LED to buy at this point.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 86
Looking at the latest news Sharp will be making the panels for Sony and
a few others and Panasonic will be supplying the glass for Pioneer .
1080i and 720p are what you will get ota and sat/cable 1080p will only
be available through blu-ray currently and for a long time to come.
Plasma and lcd are progressive so i would opt for 1080p.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 86
I know when I first bought my Panasonic Plasma 5 years ago I thought it would never be improved on. My first taste of 1040P was on my huge computer monitor. I couldn't believe my eyes. Now the tv in the living room which used to make all our friends and neighbors drool, is nothing compared to what is now on my computer monitor. Prices have never been better. Someone mentioned less than a thousand for a 1040P. I say run don't walk before the sale is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back