TV - 1080p & 1080i : Can You Tell The Difference?
Apr 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #76 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't find it anywhere. Take this link for example, it only says 1080i, so that means this set won't upscale?

Apparently that one indeed doesn't accept 1080p inputs, neither in component analog inputs, nor through the HDMI inputs. Maybe the video circuitry simply won't handle it. In that case any 1080p material you have must be downconverted to either 720p or 1080i by the player (or an external video scaler/processor) before sending it to that panel.

Strange because just checked the manual of my plasma, a Panasonic TH-42PD60X, it perfectly accepts 1080p signals through its HDMI inputs. You can verify this on page 38 here. And this is an EDTV, 2-year old plasma.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #77 of 86
Maybe the specs changed, or there is a typo in that Panasonic.au page. The user manual can be downloaded here:

VIERA TH-50PX70A 50" (127cm) HD Digital Plasma TV [TH-50PX70A] - Panasonic Australia

The manual indicates that the model in question does accept 1080p signals (pages 29 and 36). The component inputs do not support 1080p though, same as my plasma.

For further corroboration, these other pages also indicate that the model does support 1080p:

PC World - Viera TH-50PX70A - Reviews - Hardware - Televisions - Plasma TVs
Panasonic VIERA TH-50PX70A Specifications - Plasma TVs

Watch out anyway. You never know with those small-letter disclaimers: "Specifications might change without notice."

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #78 of 86
Oh well, I just convinced my partner to get the 50" Kuro today (non full HD one, 508XD).

They are starting to get sold out everywhere, so I became paranoid and decided to get it today in fear of not being able to get hold of one soon. Now this one does upscaling right? Well I hope it does...

I was actually very tempted to get similar sized Pansonic for $1,000 (AUD) less than this Kuro, but decided to go for the Kuro one. Although to be honest, the Panasonic one is very nice too. As a matter of fact, one of the 42" Panasonic non Full HD looked VERY identical to the Kuros in terms of colours.

The display was in darkened area with 4 TVs on the wall, 42"&50" Kuro, and the other two were Panasonic brands in same size. Now please tell me that the reason why they look similar is because the setup might be "shared" hence the colours look the same, or maybe the Pioneer not setup in optimum... Or else I'd be banging my head on the wall because I might have just "wasted" unnecessary extra $1,000...
eek.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #79 of 86
Congrats man, you've done the right thing.

I've been following this thread closely and have looked at all TVs mentioned in local stores, I would only get a Kuro. That will last you for many years, and you saved a lot of money by not going with 1080p, which I don't think is needed most of the time.

I want the 60" though, gotta keep saving!

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #80 of 86
Actually the other TVs were not that 'bad' at all until you compared them side to side with Kuro. I'm actually quite lucky that my partner actually let me get the 50" one, because she was insisting on 42" one because she reckons 50" is way too big for our small apartment.

But anyway, the price difference between 42" and 50" was only about $150 or so, so we ended up getting 50". Still waiting for the delivery though.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #81 of 86
Cool. Some Sony's and Panasonics were great, but Kuro is clearly the best, so I need one of those
tongue.gif

42" is tiny, a mate has a 59" Panasonic (1080p) in his very small lounge room and it's not too big. Well, people said it was at first, but you soon get used to it. It just looks awesome and very impressive.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #82 of 86
Like you said, it's easy to get used to the size. Before I was into getting a new TV, to me the 32" was big, and I thought how great it would be if I could get that massive 42" (I'm currently using 20").

But then after looking at so many TVs around, 42" starting to look small and the ideal size for me is more like 50" now. And this goes without saying after realising this, I dare not to look at TVs bigger than 50", or else it'd be just asking for trouble.
biggrin.gif

But Panasonic ones even the 70 series looked great. If I think about it rationally, I honestly think getting a much cheaper 50" Panasonic and use the left over money to get a PS3 and maybe a couple of games offers much better value than getting a Kuro.

If Kuro didn't offer 5 years warranty and free delivery, most probably I'd end up with Panasonic instead.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #83 of 86
For me, I'd have spent that extra $1000 for the warranty and delivering but mainly just to know I had the best I could afford. In a years time, you won't care what you paid, but you'll still be happy you got the best you could sensibly afford.

Just save for another few months and get a PS3 etc if you really want, or work harder for it!

I doubt you'll regret the Kuro once you get over the cost of it.

I can't believe I'm considering the 60" Kuro. Never bought a tv, always had them given to me by friends and relatives, and never seen one I really liked, at any price.

That big Kuro though, with Bluray, like you said, all the tv anyone could want.

It's taking a while to get used to the idea, but maybe at end of financial year I'll (we'll) pull the trigger.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #84 of 86
Just placed an order for the Samsung HLT5089S, which is Samsung's latest-gen LED DLP set. 50", 1080p, 3 HDMI inputs, PIP, Bluetooth (?!)... the list goes on. Until a few days ago I was going to get the HLT5076, which is the same TV, but last gen. The newer set was, obviously, much more expensive. The older set was $1200 at one point. However, for some reason they suddenly merged and now they're both running around $1400. I didn't ask questions, just snapped it up.

Was going to get a matching stand, since Vann's had a bundle ($150 for the stand) deal, but then they wanted $75 for the shipping, which basically made the price the same as normal. I'll pick up a scratch 'n dent at Best Buy or something. They had another bundle, though, a free Yamaha upscaling DVD player. I have a 360 which will upscale, but not going to turn down free.

I'm so freaking excited! Finally finally finally getting an HD set! Currently rocking the 20" no-name set - oh yeah.

Pestered the wife about Blu Ray, was met with raised eyebrows. Ah well. Eventually... eventually...

Congrats on the Kuro, BTW. Saw one today when I was at Best Buy. It was freaking amazing. Was also $6500
eek.gif

May 1, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #85 of 86
May 1, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #86 of 86
It's not an LED model, though, so you still have to worry about color wheels, bulb replacement, higher start-up time, higher power consumption, and so on. Also, according to Samsung's website, that model has a CR of 2500:1, vice the LED model's 10,000:1. That seems a bit weird to me, honestly. I'd think a traditional DLP would have a better CR if anything, and certainly a newer model should do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back