Tutorial: Increase the "Treble Energy and Detail" of the Shure SE530's! [Pics Included]-[MAIN POST UPDATED 5/04/09]
May 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #211 of 345
My general experience is simply using the tri-flanges improves the treble end with a very slight decrease in the bottom end, particularly as compared to the olives. Also, they provide the most secure seal of all the tips for me. And I think the isolation is at least as good as the black olives.

I haven't tried the mod recommended in this thread, so won't/can't comment on it. My concern when it was first recommended was not putting the tip over the barb to secure it from coming off.

May 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #212 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my take: the mod bumps up the upper treble by maybe 3dB or less (I am guess here since I got no measuring tool). The more significant part of the mod is it takes away some of the mid warmness that make SE530's mid sounding sweet. The trade off doesn't really worth it IMO. I'll stick back to olive.

This mod does balance out the sound signature though correct? It lowered some of the midrange volume and raised the treble volume. To my ears the midrange still sounds smooth and detailed.

EDIT: I just went back to the olives and the sound is immediately duller and lifeless. Some very subtle details is lost because of the veil in the treble that has been gained. The bass sounds a bit more heavier and powerful and vocals sound more powerful. This is what the SE530's sound signature is I guess....but honestly I don't like it at all. My mod completely makes the music come alive. I'm hearing more details and I swear the soundstage is more expansive. I really now have no complaints of the Shure SE530's now with my mod applied. I don't even think custom tips would give me the same sound signature. The triple flanges have a very small sound exit hole to the ear canal. This small hole could be the reason for increased treble. All other tips have a exit hole bigger than the nozzle diameter of the Shure SE530's allowing the normal sound signature to be heard. Thank goodness for triple flanges. That is why the Etymotic earphones are soooo treble happy....they use triple flanges.

May 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #213 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is why the Etymotic earphones are soooo treble happy....they use triple flanges.

Etymotic is treble happy mainly because it has a flatter FR up to the treble region and has a highlighted treble. SE530 roll off much faster in comparison.

I consider SE530 mid to be the strength of its sound signature. Mod'ed tri-flanges essentially tunes SE530 toward how Triple.fi 10 will sound (big soundstage with great detail). Yet TF10 is still better at soundstage and detail even when compared to mod'ed SE530, so it becomes pointless for me to listen to a mod'ed SE530 when I can listen to TF10 and thus doesn't worth the effort of mod'ing.

May 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #214 of 345
Quote:

Etymotic is treble happy mainly because it has a flatter FR up to the treble region and has a highlighted treble. SE530 roll off much faster in comparison.

I consider SE530 mid to be the strength of its sound signature. Mod'ed tri-flanges essentially tunes SE530 toward how Triple.fi 10 will sound (big soundstage with great detail). Yet TF10 is still better at soundstage and detail even when compared to mod'ed SE530, so it becomes pointless for me to listen to a mod'ed SE530 when I can listen to TF10 and thus doesn't worth the effort of mod'ing.

I'll rather listen to the modded Shure SE530's because the treble presence seems just right now with a very detailed and realistic midrange with beautiful bass. I thought the Shure SE530's had a better soundstage than the TF10 according to every TF10 vs Shure SE530 comparison I've read.

May 6, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #215 of 345
SE530 has a better than average soundstage, but not on TF10 level yet. I have both.

May 6, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #216 of 345
Quote:

SE530 has a better than average soundstage, but not on TF10 level yet. I have both.

Well my biggest guess would be the reason the TF10 may have a better soundstage than the Shure SE530's is because of it's long body. The drivers probably sit further from the ear than they way the Shure SE530's are setup. Also everyone hears differently and I still don't believe the TF10 has better soundstaging than the Shure SE530's.

May 6, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #217 of 345
Quote:

Well my biggest guess would be the reason the TF10 may have a better soundstage than the Shure SE530's is because of it's long body. The drivers probably sit further from the ear than they way the Shure SE530's are setup. Also everyone hears differently and I still don't believe the TF10 has better soundstaging than the Shure SE530's.

You don't believe? by comparing both or by fanboyshly sticking to the 530's without keeping an open mind? mmmmhhhhhhh!

May 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #218 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't believe? by comparing both or by fanboyshly sticking to the 530's without keeping an open mind? mmmmhhhhhhh!

Every comparison I've read where the TF10 was compared to the Shure SE530 they always mentioned the Shure SE530's soundstage being more superior.

May 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #219 of 345
Quote:

That is why the Etymotic earphones are soooo treble happy....they use triple flanges.

Nonsense, I used shure olives with a pair of er4S and the treble was still clear and crisp

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm, who should we believe, the person who has both IEMs, or the perosn who has just one?

May 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #220 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonsense, I used shure olives with a pair of er4S and the treble was still clear and crisp

Hmm, who should we believe, the person who has both IEMs, or the perosn who has just one?

I don't care what "you" guys believe. What matters is what I believe and what I believe is the Shure SE530 having a superior soundstaging than the TF10.

May 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #221 of 345
Quote:

Every comparison I've read where the TF10 was compared to the Shure SE530 they always mentioned the Shure SE530's soundstage being more superior.

Well, I read and appreciate the posts, but at the end I trust my ears not somebody's elses. Like you said. everybody hears different.

May 6, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #222 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I read and appreciate the posts, but at the end I trust my ears not somebody's elses. Like you said. everybody hears different.

Correct.

May 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #223 of 345
Quote:

I don't care what "you" guys believe. What matters is what I believe and what I believe is the Shure SE530 having a superior soundstaging than the TF10.

When you make a comment between two earphones (triple fis and 530s in this case) and you've only heard one of them, then every comment you make between the two phones have zero credibility. Frankly, I don't even know why you bother posting if you haven't heard of both... it just makes yourself look like a tool.

BTW, I own one and owned the other in the past and I do agree with Clieos regarding the soundstage.

May 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #224 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you make a comment between two earphones (triple fis and 530s in this case) and you've only heard one of them, then every comment you make between the two phones have zero credibility. Frankly, I don't even know why you bother posting if you haven't heard of both... it just makes yourself look like a tool.

BTW, I own one and owned the other in the past and I do agree with Clieos regarding the soundstage.

Well that's great. The more you guys bash the Shure SE530's the more I like them further. They sound soooo perfect. *Thinks about not getting custom earphones later this year*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back