TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 22, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,141 of 3,585
Quote:

You think that's bad?

Not really for an AV receiver. Except once "installed", people usually leave it alone for long(er) time. If you come home at 02:00 AM and are diyng to hear the recording you've just made while it is still fresh in your memory ( recordings usually are made late afternoons "until finished" = usually around midnight ) and have to switch cables AGAIN - that is another story.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #1,142 of 3,585
Quote:

Thats probably worth $75! You will need to get a phono preamp, but that's not a big deal - $50 for an entry level one and you will be playing records.

Ask them though how old the stylus is on that cartridge - you may want to buy a new stylus for it to be safe, also not a big deal.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,144 of 3,585
Quote:

You think that's bad?

blink.gif

atsmile.gif

Looks like the back of my Onkyo 606. The 606 used to be my primary home theater receiver/amp until the HDMI switcher crapped out. Thank goodness I tossed it in the closet cuz now it works just fine for audio. (for now - next will be tube amp for sure)

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,145 of 3,585
Quote:

blink.gif

atsmile.gif

Looks like the back of my Onkyo 606. The 606 used to be my primary home theater receiver/amp until the HDMI switcher crapped out. Thank goodness I tossed it in the closet cuz now it works just fine for audio. (for now - next will be tube amp for sure)

Lol, bought a 606 off ebay once, it also had faulty HDMI. Upon looking it up the hdmi going out was chronic for that part of Onkyo's line

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,146 of 3,585
Quote:
There is also a technics SL-6 for 25$. How do the two compare?

SL-6 is a bit ( OK - not just bit ) plasticky - but it is a linear tracking Technics. Depends in what condition it is in - if arm mechanism works etc. If you do not mind doing some servicing, definitely worth $ 25 - once up and running, although not the level of SL-DL 1 I posted some time ago, it can surprise many - listeners and other turntables many times the price. Extreme comfort - next to impossible to scratch a record, destroy a stylus - and it has programming for 10 songs !

P mount cartridge needed. How its relatives sound and what P mount carts are available and how do they sound 

www.p-mount.net

I would get it - and see how I like it compared to other tables. You might find it that $25 can buy you a mighty lots of good music.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,148 of 3,585
So I sent my Sl1200 MKII off to KAB for a re-work. Getting the Cardas tone-arm re-wire to an RCA phono plate, a tonearm fluid damper, and their outboard power supply which comes with a strobe disabler and voltage regulator/DC cable upgrade. The will also be setting me up with a fully-aligned Grado Silver1 Prestige cartridge, we'll see how much I can get out of it! Pics to come in the other thread hopefully in a few weeks. I will be selling a very nice Denon DL-103/DL-103R/AU-300LC package soon to help pay for this if anyone is interested.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,149 of 3,585
Quote:
So I sent my Sl1200 MKII off to KAB for a re-work. Getting the Cardas tone-arm re-wire to an RCA phono plate, a tonearm fluid damper, and their outboard power supply which comes with a strobe disabler and voltage regulator/DC cable upgrade. The will also be setting me up with a fully-aligned Grado Silver1 Prestige cartridge, we'll see how much I can get out of it! Pics to come in the other thread hopefully in a few weeks. I will be selling a very nice Denon DL-103/DL-103R/AU-300LC package soon to help pay for this if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to see how it turns out!

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,151 of 3,585
Quote:
Looking forward to see how it turns out!

Me too!

Quote:

What prompts this change?

Kind of a long story, but I decided that a low-output MC cart/step-up transformer isn't for me right now as I want to keep things as simple as possible. I would probably hold onto them and try again later, but this upgrade is costing me a pretty penny so I'm selling the (virtually unused) LOMC stuff off for now as I am trying to keep a leash on the overall investment.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,153 of 3,585
Mar 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,154 of 3,585
Quote:
I'm probably going to pick up both for 100, preamp for 50, we will see how they sound.

Which preamp is a good starter?

For $50, this one sounds surprisingly good.

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,155 of 3,585
Quote:
I'm probably going to pick up both for 100, preamp for 50, we will see how they sound.

Which preamp is a good starter?

I've got the Pro-Ject Phonobox:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Audio-Phono-preamp-output/dp/B007DB5I60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364005572&sr=8-1&keywords=pro-ject+phonobox

Sounds great, and works with MC cartridges too if you ever decide to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back