TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 18, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,082 of 3,585
Quote:
Quote:

Thought I'd share this one since we were sorta talking about Metal with the new Maiden LPs. 

This record reminds me of Maiden a bit with less shrill vocals. I'm not much of a Trash fan, but this record is good. Sounds great, looks great. All these Metal 45 cuts make me so happy. 

Good idea of using a mirror below the cartridge in resting position. Makes cleaning the stylus much easier. Even more recommended for naked cartridges - the ones without protective body. It will alert you each and every time just what you have at the end of the arm - your once forgetting will prove $$$. Not to mention The Ultimate Nemesis of Cartidges - "the cleaning lady". 

Brilliant!

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,083 of 3,585
Quote:

Brilliant!

I use a mirror or white piece of paper "reversibly glued" under the naked cart ( a la Blackbird ) since the times immemorable. Learned it the hard way... - after lightening the piggybank for say a Grasshopper, I guess that piano black ( or any other ) aesthetics do not count much.

The most reasonable "stylus guard" on naked carts has Rega Apheta MC cart. But it still is not a really well protected species.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,084 of 3,585
Quote:
Quote:

Brilliant!

I use a mirror or white piece of paper "reversibly glued" under the naked cart ( a la Blackbird ) since the times immemorable. Learned it the hard way... - after lightening the piggybank for say a Grasshopper, I guess that piano black ( or any other ) aesthetics do not count much.

The most reasonable "stylus guard" on naked carts has Rega Apheta MC cart. But it still is not a really well protected species.

I needn't confess, do I? 
rolleyes.gif
 Well, I had been kneeling and looking up... frequently. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,085 of 3,585
Quote:

I needn't confess, do I? 
rolleyes.gif
 Well, I had been kneeling and looking up... frequently. 

This is an unexpected and  awkward situation.

I remember a funny audio cartoon from High Fidelity / Stereo Review / Stereophille /  TAS  where a guy is seen on his knees, with his arms begging for mercy - with his better half pointing a big gun at his probably too much beloved turntable, caption reading :

Now that I finally have your full attention...

Hearing about a member of the prettier gender confessing kneeling at the turntable must be statement of the month
rolleyes.gif
 yea.. 
wink.gif
 year OK, let's make it a decade 
floatsmile.png
- but it is in any case a first 
atsmile.gif
for me.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,088 of 3,585
Been playing my vinyl records these few days. Found out that my setup don't suck, the records do. A lot of them bad stylus or bad VTF playing over them over the years.

Mind your VTF guys, don't make the next guy who buys your record cry. :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,089 of 3,585
Proper VTF - must the tone arm be perfectly parallel to the record/platter?

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,091 of 3,585
Quote:
VTF is the tracking force.

VTA is what you're thinking of.

EDIT: Get yourself a proper scale and set your VTF properly.

Ooops - thanks for that. One little letter...
eek.gif

So VTA - the angle - must the tonearm always be perfectly parallel as a rule, or does the cartridge determine what slight angle (if any) is needed?

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #1,094 of 3,585
If you have a good cartridge that's properly set up, record wear is negligible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back