TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Feb 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #766 of 3,585
Woops I shoulda been more specific. The Steve Hoffman album was Rumours...

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-18003-fleetwood-mac-rumours-180g-45rpm-2lp.aspx

Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray

That copy of Fleetwood Mac you linked is also the best version of that album, but it was mastered by Chris Bellman.

Both were pressed at Pallas though. Both are top notch and I'd call them definitive versions.

Quote:

Is this a link?  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-73670-fleetwood-mac-fleetwood-mac-180g-45rpm-2lp.aspx

Or is that a different version?

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #767 of 3,585
I'll check them out... NEXT month!  Gotta cool off the spending a bit.  

Question-- I've grounded the tonearm to the interconnect box on the back of the TT, then grounded the grounding post on the interconnect box to the phono stage-- anything else I should ground to cut out hum?  Plinth or motor?  I've still got some hum somewhere, and it's inconsistent.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #768 of 3,585
Touch various things and if it goes away you know what the issue is. As far as I know the only thing you have to ground should be the junction box. 

Might be your phono stage. If it's a major grounding issue it's usually really obvious. 

Quote:
I'll check them out... NEXT month!  Gotta cool off the spending a bit.  

Question-- I've grounded the tonearm to the interconnect box on the back of the TT, then grounded the grounding post on the interconnect box to the phono stage-- anything else I should ground to cut out hum?  Plinth or motor?  I've still got some hum somewhere, and it's inconsistent.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #769 of 3,585
This is weird. I've been experiencing this left channel distortion all day on every record I've listened to (around 7 albums).

I finally thought to put on a record I had cleaned recently and I now can't get it to distort. 

Could it be that just all the records I listened to today need to be cleaned? Does that make any sense if they all distorted in the left channel? 

confused_face_2.gif

EDIT: Static? My records have been taking my mat with it today but these clean ones leave it on the table when I flip the record. Could static create consistent distortion like this?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #772 of 3,585
I have some questions about setting up my Project Debut Carbon.

I just got this turn table and I believe I have it set up properly and yet I have this hissing sound that is really loud and I can't get rid of it. 

Some background:

I've already set the VTF to manufacture spec as well as put the anti-skating weight on the right notch and neither of these really affect the hiss, though the proper VTF did help eliminate the hum from the motor. I know I have it on a level surface and I've leveled the turn table in the x and y axis. I'm running this into a Musical Fidelity VLPS and a Schiit Valhalla with Grado RS2s. I've also run this into an old stereo with some polk speakers and other headphones and found the hiss there so I'm certain that it is coming from the turn table.

Now here is some deduction I have done:

The hiss only comes when the needle is touching the record and the record is spinning. This isn't coming from the motor and it isn't an issue with my phono, amp, or headphones. I'm fairly certain I have the needle aligned horizontally and shifting it into and out of alignment doesn't seem to make any difference in the sound. Also the hiss is only really noticeable when I turn my headphone amp up past about 40% but it is enough to bug me.

What the hiss sounds like and how loud it is:

I'm fairly certain this hiss is a defect but it may just be how the turn table was made, I know it's not a super nice turn table but I would hope that this isn't normal, and it wasn't present in another Carbon I've listened too. Now the hiss is different from the motor hum, and it isn't specific to any one record. It's the same hiss on all my records and it's loud enough that it overpowers soft intros to songs such as the first songs on The Civil War's Barton Hollow, or Mumford and Sons Sigh No More. It sounds like white noise that got the aggression rolled off of it, or something I would expect to hear out of a cheap PA system.

I'm pretty new to the game so I'm wondering if anyone has some other insights, but here are my working hypothesis:
My first hypothesis is that I have a bad cartridge and I should take it back and see if I can swap it for one that isn't broken. My second hypothesis is that I'm getting some interference from the other equipment around it. I live in a small space so my turn table is next to my desk with my computer and monitors and such, but I would expect to be able to hear this when the needle wasn't on the record if that was the case.

Does anyone have any tips? Extra tests I could do? Or advice?

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #773 of 3,585
There is a shipment of Audio Technica AT-LP120 coming to a store near me tomorrow.
This is the only model available at the moment.
Should I get it????
I can get another model but not right now I will have to specially order it.
I'm using an old secondhand Akai AP-B110 with Kenwood KR-V999D and Bose Acoustimass 7.
I plan on changing to a Bulb Amp(please advice for a cheap but good one) later on.
Sound clarity is important as well as good bass.....
Thanks!!!

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #774 of 3,585
Quote:
EDIT: Static? My records have been taking my mat with it today but these clean ones leave it on the table when I flip the record. Could static create consistent distortion like this?

Static wrecked havoc on my listening sessions.  I stopped using the turntable for now until I buy a Milty gun.  I'd VPI vacuum and by the time I got the record on the platter it was covered in dust.  I'd use my dry brush and hear static clicks.  Look again and there's dust everywhere on the record again.  Not gonna waste the lifespan of my stuff fighting static.  And before this decision I would play through it, and by about 1/3rd in, it was as if all the static had built up and I was hearing distortion.  It took me a few times to realize what was happening.  I'd lift the record off the platter and hear about ten loud pops and crackles from static.  VPI Traveler.
Quote:
Does anyone have any tips? Extra tests I could do? Or advice?

Maybe it's surface noise from the needle dragging across the record?  

Maybe it's outside noise/interference, like you thought.  So move stuff around to try to get rid of it?

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #775 of 3,585
Static electricity in phono is "no man's land" - or dark horse or whatevwer you want this elusive thing called.

It happens whenever electrical conductivity is broken - it can be mat, it can be cartridge cantilever ( boron is an insulator ) - it can be oxidized metal that on surface looks clean, but has oxide layer on top - essentially isolating say your metal platter from the grounded/earthed bearing - leading to hum and static. For this reason, it is iffy whether the use of super bearing oils that actually do prevent any metal to metal contact is good thing - because they isolate your platter and this leads to static problems.

Regarding boron cantilevers - Audio Technica is cunningly quiet regarding this, and says that gold plating boron cantilever damps the vestiges of resonance(s) in boron - migh well be true, but biggest improvement is that the cantilever is again conductive and can discharge record surface through itself - which is impossible with normal boron that is insulator.Stanton carts for pro use like 681EEE specifically mentioned this cantilever conductivity as being important - in pro environment it is difficult to baby either records or equipment as in home audiophile use. 

Depending on severity, it is possible that static changes VTF appreciably - by 0.5 gram or more as compared to non static charged condition. More than enough to cause distortion.

Good old ohmmeter for checking resistance(s) is your friend - and if you measure anything above say 10 ohms referenced to ground, you have found your static causuing culprit. It is not a grateful topic - many otherwise good sounding mats are next to perfect electric insulators, leading to said static problems.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #776 of 3,585
MT, a Milty Zerostat is a very important vinyl playback accessory IMO, because static can create noise in Vinyl playback, unless you live in a consistently humid environment.

NateH, it's pretty hard to diagnose that problem remotely, but if you bought the TT from a dealer, you should take it back here and have them check it out.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #778 of 3,585
O happy day.

Today I ordered my first record player.

Music Hall MMF 2.2
+ Music Hall cork mat
Cambridge Audio Azur 551P pre-amp

plus a bunch of support gear

(got 8 records ordered as well to add to the growing collection)

(got 7 jazz records on the "must find" list)

beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #779 of 3,585
Grevlin, let us know what you think about the Music Hall Cork Mat (the raised one, right?). I picked one up for my Sony PS-X5, but only heard it twice when the MMF-7 hit the room. I've no real opinion formed yet.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #780 of 3,585
Grevlin, let us know what you think about the Music Hall Cork Mat (the raised one, right?). I picked one up for my Sony PS-X5, but only heard it twice when the MMF-7 hit the room. I've no real opinion formed yet.

Will do. (Yes- the one with the little circles to decouple the record a little) I got it because the stock felt pad sounded like I was really going to dislike it.

Just getting into vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back