TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #601 of 3,585
Quote:
If you really mean it must be under $50, your options are very, very limited. Of the ones I know of that enjoy a decent reputation, there is the Audio Technica 95E, the Ortofon Omega, and the Red Ed elliptical. Never heard any except the AT, which is nice for the money, but unless your current cartridge is warn or damaged or really crappy, personally would save my pennies for an Ortofon Red at $99, which I do have one of and think is truly excellent for the money.

How is the Ortofon Red against the Shure m97xe? I was weighing options to optimize my setup and buying an "audiophile" turntable seems ridiculous. The cartridge, preamp and speakers are my only real options, as the pioneer receiver is wonderful.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #602 of 3,585
Quote:

How is the Ortofon Red against the Shure m97xe? I was weighing options to optimize my setup and buying an "audiophile" turntable seems ridiculous. The cartridge, preamp and speakers are my only real options, as the pioneer receiver is wonderful.

I prefer the Ortofon Red. The Shure is mellower and softer. If you want super mellow, go with the Shure; if you want a more detailed and brighter (but not "bright" in absolute terms), then go with the Red.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #603 of 3,585
So I see a remote plug in on my turntable (Yamaha TT400U). Anyone know where I might get one? and what controls it can do? the turntable has buttons to control the tonearm (up/down) and and some other stuff. Having a remote could be cool

Also, any ideas about the ground cable? I've never seen a cable that would really work for that. My friend suggested using a cable with a butt crimp on the end to connect it to that port.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #605 of 3,585
Quote:

I've heard both, and the Ortofon smokes the Shure hands down.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #606 of 3,585
Between those two I would go with the Kenwood.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #608 of 3,585
Not many phono preamps for $50, but for that price range I think the ones at phono preamps.com are decent.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #609 of 3,585
That's interesting. I was thinking of going with this: http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Outputs-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3CCHAOQHHXSVK&coliid=I1UXVFL8T7SJUH
Quote:
Not many phono preamps for $50, but for that price range I think the ones at phono preamps.com are decent.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #610 of 3,585
Never thought it would come down to this, but here the true state of affairs with Shure M97xe cart. 

A perfectly working Shure design (BTW, manufactured under license from ELAC, Germany) has full channel separation - meeting or exceeding 35 dB throughout most of the audible band, and certainly in the midrange. These figures require utmost precision in assembly - and Shure's begun slipping long ago. To cut the long story short - by now it is so bad that Shure was forced to revise the spec for M97xe - down to 17 dB for the channell separation, which is really really poor. 

Unless you are planning on going Jico SAS stylus route (approx $ 170-180) and using original stylus supplied with the cartridge for poor condition vinyl only, there are carts with far better sound at the M97xe price point.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #611 of 3,585
Quote:
... Jico SAS stylus route (approx $ 170-180) and using original stylus supplied with the cartridge for poor condition vinyl only, there are carts with far better sound at the M97xe price point.

Could you please suggest a few? 

Thanks much. 
beerchug.gif

(... the follow-up question will be: How do those other carts at the M97xe price point compare with an M97xe with a Jico SAS stylus "upgrade"?)

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #612 of 3,585
I'm "all ears" as well. Also. $80 for the Shure cartridge and then "$170 to 180" for a styli upgrade, boy we're well over the price of a Denon 103

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #613 of 3,585
I've asked before, but now I'm determined to find out something. 

Anyone know where I might find a mini-plug remote for a Technics/[size=small]Panasonic SLBD20-D Turntable. I can't find anything on eBay, Amazon, or Google. Does anyone know anyone that might be able to help me find this?[/size]

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #614 of 3,585
Quote:
I've asked before, but now I'm determined to find out something. 

Anyone know where I might find a mini-plug remote for a Technics/[size=small]Panasonic SLBD20-D Turntable. I can't find anything on eBay, Amazon, or Google. Does anyone know anyone that might be able to help me find this?[/size]

From the looks of the photo (I think I saw it in another thread) ... I would be inclined to stick a 1/8" jack in the hole and "short it", see what happens. Because ... and correct me if I'm wrong ... if it's in fact a basic 1/8" socket, it seems a lot like the old cassette recorder remotes.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #615 of 3,585
Looks like this would work: http://electronicsvintage.org/sp-10mkii-technics-model-sh-10r-?id=3160964731757

Since it's so expensive. I'm talking with my friend about testing the same theory you had and then hacking up an "Easy" button into what I need. 
Quote:

From the looks of the photo (I think I saw it in another thread) ... I would be inclined to stick a 1/8" jack in the hole and "short it", see what happens. Because ... and correct me if I'm wrong ... if it's in fact a basic 1/8" socket, it seems a lot like the old cassette recorder remotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back