TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Aug 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,286 of 3,585
Hello! I just picked up a Sansui 2000 receiver: I am looking at a pair of used Sansui sp 1500 speakers tomorrow. Will the speakers match the receiver? And will I need anything else to get some decent sound?
Thank you;!

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3,287 of 3,585
Hello! I just picked up a Sansui 2000 receiver: I am looking at a pair of used Sansui sp 1500 speakers tomorrow. Will the speakers match the receiver? And will I need anything else to get some decent sound?
Thank you;!

This is the wrong thread to ask that question in. You might try here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Hi Guys,  Hope all is well. Seeking some help choosing a turntable. The last time i purchased a turntable was about 20 years ago! As far as i can remember it was magnetic driven and opposed to belt driven.. My budget is around 300 euro. Can anybody offer me some advice and feedback and what i should look out for? Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of options for turntables for $300 Euro. Do you know how to do cartridge set-up and alignment? If not, your best bet would be to go to a local audio store and see what they are offering. Having a turntable where the cartridge is properly aligned is more meaningful than the difference between different brands of $300 TT.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,290 of 3,585
Thanks.
Did some research since the post and the Mani reviews seem to suggest that the Mani maybe on the bright side with recessed mids.
The TC750 and Art seemed to be about equal and more about preference. Went with Art. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,291 of 3,585
Just ordered project debut carbon dc with art dj pre ii with pyramid PS3 battery power supply. :D
I wonder how it compares to the Dual TT I used to have in the 80s.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,292 of 3,585
Hey, everyone, I'm just popping in for a quick question. I have Technics SL-QD33, which is one of their budget models from the 80s that came from the factory made for P-mount cartridges. However, today's P-mount market is pretty disappointing, and I'm thinking I should move to a standard mount cartridge instead. However, I want to keep the same TT. Are there headshell replacements currently available that fit Technics turntables that were originally designed with a plug-and-play P-mount headshell? I know there are a million "universal fit" headshells on Amazon, but I don't know if the diameter of the TT's tonearm is something that's pretty standard across brands or model lines, or if my particular model might be hard to find a fitting part for.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,293 of 3,585
The entire Grado Prestige line is now available in PMount. I'd try one of those before messing with an adapter, personally. I can't imagine that would ever really be optimal.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #3,294 of 3,585
The entire Grado Prestige line is now available in PMount. I'd try one of those before messing with an adapter, personally. I can't imagine that would ever really be optimal.

Thanks for the advice. I was eying a Prestige Blue, but there are some worrisome reviews about Grado's whole line of P-mount cartridges when it comes to heavily layered music. I wish that Ortofon still made their old line of P-Mount cartridges so I could at least consider another option at this price point. It seems that Grado has the market cornered, aside from some cheaper Audio-Technica options that I can't easily distinguish from one another. If an adapter likely wouldn't work out that well, I guess Grado is the only real choice.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #3,295 of 3,585

Thanks for the advice. I was eying a Prestige Blue, but there are some worrisome reviews about Grado's whole line of P-mount cartridges when it comes to heavily layered music. I wish that Ortofon still made their old line of P-Mount cartridges so I could at least consider another option at this price point. It seems that Grado has the market cornered, aside from some cheaper Audio-Technica options that I can't easily distinguish from one another. If an adapter likely wouldn't work out that well, I guess Grado is the only real choice.

Ortofon makes their entire 2M line in P mount.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,296 of 3,585
Is there any turntable with coax or digital out?  I want to run it through my bifrost.  Or do I need something like that Mani?  Sorry for noob question, just want to listen to records from my headphones passed through my dac.  

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,297 of 3,585
  Ortofon makes their entire 2M line in P mount.

I couldn't seem to find any information on their current P-mount lineup before, so I had assumed it was discontinued. Looking at their site now, I'm having trouble finding any indication of P-mount 2M models in current production. Am I just not navigating their site well?

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,298 of 3,585
I couldn't find any on Ortofon's site, besides the adapter, but turntable needles has several choices if you haven't looked there http://www.turntableneedles.com/P-mountT4PTurntableCartridgeSelections

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,299 of 3,585
  I couldn't find any on Ortofon's site, besides the adapter, but turntable needles has several choices if you haven't looked there http://www.turntableneedles.com/P-mountT4PTurntableCartridgeSelections

It appears that all the decent models listed on Turntable Needles are out of stock and are discontinued models as well, like the OMP10, which would have been my first choice if it was still in production. I've had the same issue with Needle Doctor and other sites that have listings for products that appear to be no longer in stock or discontinued.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,300 of 3,585
Sorry, i missed that. LP Gear seems to have it in stock, http://www.lpgear.com/product/OROMP10.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back