TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Apr 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #3,046 of 3,585
You can go and record various brands of carts in "cold" and "warm"  " climate". So that you will see they all follow more or less the same pattern of behaviour.

I will include that in my forthcoming series of TT setup. What I lack at the moment is any possibility to generate graphs. Compounded is the problem that I will not satisfy myself with response limited to 20 kHz. Whatever software for graphs I end up using, will have to be flat to at least 50 kHz - hopefully more.  TTs and cartridges ( only the very best ) can be reliably measured to approx 67 kHz ( up to 50 kHz test record played instead of 331/3 RPM at 45 RPM ) - and I do not want measuring equipment to be the limitation. No funds at the moment for this, I am afraid...

But I can upload recordings PCM 192/24 or DSD128, if someone then can generate graphs from these.

....it's like hitting one's head against the wall.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,049 of 3,585
  I switched the cartridge on my Onkyo and I'm not sure if the new nagoaka cartridge if perfectly parallel with the headshell. It looks like it is. Is this a problem if its off by a half degree?

Use a 2 point protractor to confirm. Onkyo's TTs have a somewhat shorter effective length arms and there is some "foul play" regarding the geometry involved; I would not be surprised if the correct cartridge alignment as verified by a protractor will not be half a degree or more off the perfectly parallel. 

Groove sees the stylus, not headshell
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3,050 of 3,585
Use a 2 point protractor to confirm. Onkyo's TTs have a somewhat shorter effective length arms and there is some "foul play" regarding the geometry involved; I would not be surprised if the correct cartridge alignment as verified by a protractor will not be half a degree or more off the perfectly parallel. 

Groove sees the stylus, not headshell:wink: .

the groove sees both, it is just as important for the stylus to be in line as for the cart to be in line.. this is why people return crooked stylus...

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #3,051 of 3,585
the groove sees both, it is just as important for the stylus to be in line as for the cart to be in line.. this is why people return crooked stylus...

It is why people should use linear tracking arms - exclusively! Only in this case is returning a crooked stylus really warranted - no antiskating to mess the things up.

Please reduce the antiskating to zero during geometry checks - that "crooked " stylus may well straighten up without undue bias - it is required only when the record is turning, not when stationery.

But the stylus is important to be in the line - even if cartridge looks crooked. I will show this in great detail in upcoming setup series - it goes beyond optical and sometimes a real life stylus has to be "misaligned" in order to trully read the record correctly.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,052 of 3,585
It is why people should use linear tracking arms - exclusively! Only in this case is returning a crooked stylus really warranted - no antiskating to mess the things up.

Please reduce the antiskating to zero during geometry checks - that "crooked " stylus may well straighten up without undue bias - it is required only when the record is turning, not when stationery.

But the stylus is important to be in the line - even if cartridge looks crooked. I will show this in great detail in upcoming setup series - it goes beyond optical and sometimes a real life stylus has to be "misaligned" in order to trully read the record correctly.

well sure. I stopped using protractor because if it sounds off then turn it! if it sounds better then its better! most people won't be able to hear the real difference of a slightly crooked cart as its pretty minute.
I do agree that stylus alignment trumps cart alignment, especially for hyper elip/LC/shibata..

you can get pretty amazing sound by turning a quad needle 45' off center :wink:

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #3,053 of 3,585
Anyone got any suggestions on a good entry stylus/cartridge?
I don't want to put an emphasis on any one group, but I really don't want slow/sloppy and muddied lows. I'm not too fussy about the mids so long as it doesn't sound unnatural. I like detailed highs, I dislike the laidback sennheiser sound but I don't want something fatiguing or sharp, either.
Above all that I'm really just wanting something on the faster side of things (attack, but most certainly decay)

Off hand, would anybody happen to know the drive belt size for a Technics SL-23? I signed up to vinylengine just to view the service manual but it won't load for me
I've had a look around here and there, and there are varying opinions. When I measured my worn out belt it was 12.5 inches (12 5/8 not 12 4/8)
Double that gives 25 inches, 95% of that is 23.75 which makes me think FM 23.2 is the right size?

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,054 of 3,585
What's your price point?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Technics

http://www.turntablebelts.com/panatech.htm

Second link says 22.4", but double check that.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,055 of 3,585
  Anyone got any suggestions on a good entry stylus/cartridge?
I don't want to put an emphasis on any one group, but I really don't want slow/sloppy and muddied lows. I'm not too fussy about the mids so long as it doesn't sound unnatural. I like detailed highs, I dislike the laidback sennheiser sound but I don't want something fatiguing or sharp, either.
Above all that I'm really just wanting something on the faster side of things (attack, but most certainly decay)

Off hand, would anybody happen to know the drive belt size for a Technics SL-23? I signed up to vinylengine just to view the service manual but it won't load for me
I've had a look around here and there, and there are varying opinions. When I measured my worn out belt it was 12.5 inches (12 5/8 not 12 4/8)
Double that gives 25 inches, 95% of that is 23.75 which makes me think FM 23.2 is the right size?

Australia is a "strange" place for phono equipment.  The prices can fluctuate wildly and in the conditions of limited supply it can mean all sorts of things.

Try to see if there are any Ortofon cartridges at nice prices left down under - there were times prices were nice enough for importing them back to Europe, regardless of customs etc. They used to be on australian ebay - but it seems this source has dried up according to today's "pass" on the australian ebay.

Anyone looking for good entry level cart should not overlook Acoutex 412 STR : ebay # 261840304007 from Italy. http://www.ebay.de/itm/PUNTINA-ACUTEX-412-STR-PER-GIRADISCHI-INTROVABILE-STYLUS-FOR-TURNTABLE-NUOVA-/261840304007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item3c

It is NOT, or was NOT an entry level cart - but not TOTL either. You can Google Acoutex http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=528291 - and will not be able to find practically anything negative about it. As it is out of production for decades and styli are unonbtainium, it makes sense to buy one for "test" - and then stock up on cartridges at these prices. True, TOTL models are gone - but presently available 412 STR certainly is more than competitive at the price.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3,056 of 3,585
As of last night I'm in need of a replacement too. The options I'm considering are cheap stylus replacements for an at3600 type cart or pickering xv-15, or a new AT95E and least likely Shure M97xE. I know for head-fi these are pretty low but I was happy with how it sounded before the stylus tip broke last night. I was using the AT9X looking cart and haven't had a chance to try the Pickering yet but last time I asked about a stylus in the $20ish range I was told not to bother because they are only cheap knock offs?

So for short, I'd prefer below $50 but might go a bit more. 2 tables to choose from, still not sure which I prefer. Technics SL 1300 and JVC L-F101 (which I can't find any information about)

Thanks!

I can use a thumb tack right?  (for analogsurvivor
tongue_smile.gif
)

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #3,058 of 3,585
  For $38 on Amazon (Prime) it's hard not to be drawn to the AT95E.  Might as well step it up a notch from the AT3600.

Yeah its a shame that its just different enough that the stylus won't fit the at9x body. The Shure for $70 is tempting but maybe another time when I have more to play.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,060 of 3,585
  Ditch that iPod project I see you trying to figure out and spin more vinyl.  It's good for ya.

Haha. I'm going to try to do both. I like to listen a lot while walking. And 2 of my favorite artist putting out new releases for close to $40 are almost ruining it for me as well. It's a shame they have to take advantage like that.

Didn't know how people messed up records and stylus until last night when the technics tone arm jumped out of my hand. For some reason I felt like doing a manual drop and it turned out to be a bad move. Cant believe thats all it took, didnt even see a mark on the record, good thing it wasn't one I care about. Thats one thing I don't like about the Technics is that resistance of the tone arm when its starting up the motor. Is there a way to improve that other than converting it to a manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back