TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,957 of 3,585
  I got my AT 440mla last Saturday.  Opened a beer, broke out my Shure tracking force gauge, the Traveler's included protractor, my mirrored protractor and the magnifying glass.  An hour maybe, and I was in business.  Within the week, I'm 21 full albums deep.

Quite obsessing and get to enjoying it already.

Oh sure, pick on the neurotic guy.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,961 of 3,585
i just saw a stunning copper mat, at 1mm thick. Is that worth picking up?

How important is it to have a "dent" for the label on the platter? With these newer 180 gram records it's usually thicker at the label part after all...

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,962 of 3,585
i just saw a stunning copper mat, at 1mm thick. Is that worth picking up?

How important is it to have a "dent" for the label on the platter? With these newer 180 gram records it's usually thicker at the label part after all...

Copper at 1mm thick ?  AVOID !

Copper at 1 mm will warp/deform out of flat ( & round...) UNLESS babied at all times - including and in the first time during shipment. Would have to be packed in a made to measure ( custom ) styrofoam or similar packaging, further protected by carton box, everything packed so that it can not move within the box - no mater what  .

Having a "dent" - as you put it ( recessed area below the label ) - IS important , even more so with hard surface mats - acryl, delrin, any metal - since that label area that is thicker by approx 0.5 mm ( varies greatly from one pressing plant to another ) will not allow for the intimate contact/coupling of the record groove surface with the platter - effectively negating any benefit (except for the increased mass/flywheel effect ) of the mat. If the record is not supported/damped, there is one hell of a lot being picked up by the stylus that should have never reached it in the first place.

It is this interface record/mat/platter that is most easy to get wrong - but it is THE very essence of any vinyl record player.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,963 of 3,585
Hey guys. I'm starting to make my head-fi rig and of course I need a turntable in it. But i need help choosing one. I'm broke so it needs to be below $200. I bought a record player from a mall and for some reason only used it for 2 weeks. it just didn't give me a edge. So I need help choosing the right one. What are the good ones?

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #2,968 of 3,585
HOw do you guys connect AMPs and DACs to a turntable. As for the turntable I got I just went to the Guitar Center here in vegas and got the cheapest one for $151 which was the Numark TTUSB. Looked it up here when I got home after I bought it you guys didn't talk about it much.  While I was looking it up I saw a thing called preamps do turntables need a different kind of amp that the regular amp the the Magni 2 from Schiit? Sorry for the newbie questions I'm new to all this.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,969 of 3,585
HOw do you guys connect AMPs and DACs to a turntable. As for the turntable I got I just went to the Guitar Center here in vegas and got the cheapest one for $151 which was the Numark TTUSB. Looked it up here when I got home after I bought it you guys didn't talk about it much.  While I was looking it up I saw a thing called preamps do turntables need a different kind of amp that the regular amp the the Magni 2 from Schiit? Sorry for the newbie questions I'm new to all this.

Yes you'll need a pre-amp to bring the phono signal coming out of your turntable onto line signal. Schiit has a phono preamp. (But i'm sure others in this thread know of better alternatives)

Turntable -> phono preamp -> amp -> speakers/headphone

Also, why connect a DAC to a turntable? There's nothing digital coming out of the tunrtable...

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,970 of 3,585
Yes you'll need a pre-amp to bring the phono signal coming out of your turntable onto line signal. Schiit has a phono preamp. (But i'm sure others in this thread know of better alternatives)

Turntable -> phono preamp -> amp -> speakers/headphone

Also, why connect a DAC to a turntable? There's nothing digital coming out of the tunrtable...

OK thanks! oh as for the dac thing I was only going over what I was reading and I saw people asking for dacs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back