TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jun 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,491 of 3,585
  I absolutely hate to start a "what should I buy post" but I honestly read the last about 15-20 pages of this thread and still cannot make up my mind. I want to invest in a turntable rig...budget is around $500-$600. I need turntable and preamp. Want to buy new because I don't have as much time as I used to for troubleshooting problems, maintenance, etc. There are so many budget options and I am completely lost...looking at the Rega RP1 (everyone seems to like that as an entry level option), but then there are various offerings by Pro-Jekt - Debut III, Debut Carbon, Carbon 2M-R, RM 1.3 etc etc. I am completely lost. I am open to suggestions and would really appreciate some help deciding on a turntable and a preamp. Thanks!

My local audio dealer recommended the Debut Carbon + the Musical Fidelity V90-LPS

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,492 of 3,585
I recommend the RP1 w/ NAD PP2i.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,493 of 3,585
I recently got a very good condition Dual 435-1 turntable
Not the best I know, but it only cost me £75.
As cartridges go I am thinking of getting an Audio Technica AT95.

What do you guys think?

Also is it worth upgrading the mat? Original is felt.

I lubed the turntable up and replaced the belt first.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2,494 of 3,585
Thanks for the responses. Two for RP1 and one for the Project. If there are better TTs out there within the 600 dollar range or if there is a big performance boost spending a 100 or so more, please drop me a line. Don't forget I need a preamp as well. Thanks!

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2,495 of 3,585
I recently got a very good condition Dual 435-1 turntable
Not the best I know, but it only cost me £75.
As cartridges go I am thinking of getting an Audio Technica AT95.

What do you guys think?

Also is it worth upgrading the mat? Original is felt.

I lubed the turntable up and replaced the belt first.

That Dual was originally supplied with a Dual branded Shure cartridge. So while that AT will probably be fine, you should also consider the Shure M97xE which is a fine cartridge. I actually like it better than the entry level AT carts as it has a warmer, more forgiving sound.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,496 of 3,585
Thanks Skylab, I shall have a look for one of those Shure cartridges. I have always heard great things about the Shure cartridges.

I'll probably get the iPhono too so I can connect it to headphone amps and happy listening.

Just building a vinyl collection. Any classic LP's people would recommend?

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,497 of 3,585
Thanks for the responses. Two for RP1 and one for the Project. If there are better TTs out there within the 600 dollar range or if there is a big performance boost spending a 100 or so more, please drop me a line. Don't forget I need a preamp as well. Thanks!

If you can go to the $600 mark for the TT alone then do this:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-10484-rega-rp1-turntable-gray-demo.aspx

+

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3738-goldring-2100-mm-cartridge.aspx

for the preamp:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-144107-musical-fidelity-v90-lps-mmmc-phono-preamp.aspx

You should act fast on that turntable

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,498 of 3,585
Hey guys,

Here's a question for all you turntable guys. I just picked up a copy of the new Jack White album. It's a unique album in that one side plays from the inside out. I have a Realistic linear tracking turntable. Do you guys think it will play it? Should I run the risk of ruining either the record or the player?

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #2,499 of 3,585
Hey guys,

Here's a question for all you turntable guys. I just picked up a copy of the new Jack White album. It's a unique album in that one side plays from the inside out. I have a Realistic linear tracking turntable. Do you guys think it will play it? Should I run the risk of ruining either the record or the player?

You can play side B, but not side A, or the inner labels. Sorry man.

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2,500 of 3,585
my wife has a cheapy sony lx-300 it'll do. boo...
time for me to upgrade :D

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2,501 of 3,585
Hey guys,

If the Realistic TT is actually Technics built ( I think it is ), inside out play will not work, as the sensor for corrrection of tangency is only for the normal operation. 
That is the reason why CH23 correctly replied which parts of this record are playable by Technics ( built ) linear tables.

Upgrading a very good table because ONE record out of ???? ( all the rest in existance ) ?

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,502 of 3,585
If the Realistic TT is actually Technics built ( I think it is ), inside out play will not work, as the sensor for corrrection of tangency is only for the normal operation. 
That is the reason why CH23 correctly replied which parts of this record are playable by Technics ( built ) linear tables.

Upgrading a very good table because ONE record out of ???? ( all the rest in existance ) ?

Ssshhhhh! my wife might hear you!

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,503 of 3,585
Ssshhhhh! my wife might hear you!

OK, I see the only "real advantage CD has over LP" strikes again...

Smuggling it past the wife, that is 
biggrin.gif
 !

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,504 of 3,585
Jack White's new album Lazaretto is good but not on the level of Blunderbuss (one of the best sounding vinyl albums I've ever heard) 

Some of the tricked out new vinyl album is cool, like the floating hologram angel on side A.  
The reverse side A is frustrating, hitting the mark on the inside to catch the opening is not easy and the endless note at the end is more annoying than fun.

I refuse to ruin my stylus on the inside label at 45rpm and 78rpm is not an option.  
The vinyl is well mastered and the slower acoustic songs are very good.

Overall the vinyl is so different and Jack White spent so much attention to detail I felt the buy was worth it.

Hard to justify a new TT buy because of this album, but if it's an upgrade any excuse is worth it 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,505 of 3,585
hoio all.  I'm on the hunt for a new preamp.  I'm currently using a Nagaoka 555 -> Art DJPREII -> Stax srm-1  

the output from the 555 is on the low side (~3mv) and my main amp is often cranked to 3 o'clock.   is there a good <200$ preamp that will give me more output?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back