TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
May 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,476 of 3,585
I would go with "gimmick"

I bought the Great Gatsby soundtrack from their hand (gold and platina 'playable' records) and i have to say that it's bad for your stylus.

I might buy it if i can find it for €20, but otherwise i wont.

Can't even play side A, due to the linear nature of my turntable :p

The real question is: Is that band good? And is that album good?

You can record on multimillion dollar analog equipment that transfers directly to master cutters, but if the music isn't good then it's just gimmicky.

May 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,477 of 3,585
The real question is: Is that band good? And is that album good?

You can record on multimillion dollar analog equipment that transfers directly to master cutters, but if the music isn't good then it's just gimmicky.

The band in question is Jack White & friends, so i doubt it isn't good (though might not be something to your liking)

He's one of the few remaining people who records analoge, and masters analoge (at least he did so with the white stripes albums)

You could always "testrun" the album before buying it, of course.

May 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,478 of 3,585
Also, I just found out that the PL-221z uses P-mount instead of half-inch mount, don't know if AT-95s are compatible with it...:confused:

No, it isn't. If you need a p-mount cartridge, I would go with this: http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-92ECD

May 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,480 of 3,585
  What do you guys use to clean your stylus... Looking for something good to do this with.

I use a small, very fine haired artist brush plus Stylast.  Brush back to front, towards you.  Gently.

May 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,482 of 3,585
That, too.

May 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2,484 of 3,585
May 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2,485 of 3,585
Big cube of Magic Eraser to gently drop the stylus on a few times, then hit it with an old short haired brush with a drop of cleaner on it, Stylast maybe.

May 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,486 of 3,585
Soft bristle toothbrush

May 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,487 of 3,585
I use Magic Eraser only on my Lyra Clavis DC, I have been strongly advised
not to use fluids on cantilevers and stylii.

May 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,488 of 3,585
  I use Magic Eraser only on my Lyra Clavis DC, I have been strongly advised
not to use fluids on cantilevers and stylii.

Liquids are not THAT harmful - but I advise to use damp "whatever" you are using - otherwise capillary action can indeed suck up the fluid trough the hollow cantilever,
messing up with the suspension of the cartridge, either/and/or rubber or tension wire. Cement with which diamond is usually glued to the cantilever can get compromised if fluid is allowed to act for prolonged time too - if you work damp and below 30 seconds/cleaning, liquids are safe.

I have described the Glassrubber before; it is available under various names, here one on ebay : 
http://www.ebay.de/itm/270971223928?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

It is THE stylus cleaner, no competition for real cleaning. But I do recommend using it under the microscope to allow for application only where really needed - after thorough cleaning with Glassrubber ( heavily dirty/clogged or removal of excess mounting agents in new styli ) ,  Magic Eraser,  Zero Dust, electronic stylus cleaner,  etc is enough to keep the stylus clean during normal operation.

I only would like to warn you regarding cleaning with Glassrubber too vigorously with shank mounted styli . That nondescript shroud covering the junction between diamond stylus itself and metal shank, which in turn  is mounted to the cantilever, may well be indeed necessary  to hold the diamond from falling out/off the shank.
Try to clean the diamond stylus part, particularly the record contact surface - and try to keep the shroud mentioned well alone. Should not create problems with properly mounted styli, but better to stay on the safe side. So precise work can not be done without working under the microscope.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,489 of 3,585
I absolutely hate to start a "what should I buy post" but I honestly read the last about 15-20 pages of this thread and still cannot make up my mind. I want to invest in a turntable rig...budget is around $500-$600. I need turntable and preamp. Want to buy new because I don't have as much time as I used to for troubleshooting problems, maintenance, etc. There are so many budget options and I am completely lost...looking at the Rega RP1 (everyone seems to like that as an entry level option), but then there are various offerings by Pro-Jekt - Debut III, Debut Carbon, Carbon 2M-R, RM 1.3 etc etc. I am completely lost. I am open to suggestions and would really appreciate some help deciding on a turntable and a preamp. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,490 of 3,585
  I absolutely hate to start a "what should I buy post" but I honestly read the last about 15-20 pages of this thread and still cannot make up my mind. I want to invest in a turntable rig...budget is around $500-$600. I need turntable and preamp. Want to buy new because I don't have as much time as I used to for troubleshooting problems, maintenance, etc. There are so many budget options and I am completely lost...looking at the Rega RP1 (everyone seems to like that as an entry level option), but then there are various offerings by Pro-Jekt - Debut III, Debut Carbon, Carbon 2M-R, RM 1.3 etc etc. I am completely lost. I am open to suggestions and would really appreciate some help deciding on a turntable and a preamp. Thanks!

I would opt for the Rega I own a Pro-Ject Debut and the dangling anti-skate weight is cool to look at but frankly a pain to deal with.

The easiest to set up if you are new to TT's is what you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Back