TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Apr 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #2,446 of 3,585
Hi guys,

I posted here a while back about a Technics SL-Q-200 turntable that I found in the basement a while back. It had some wiring and cueing issues, which I have gotten fixed (It's working great now), but I didn't get them fixed myself- I opened the TT up and quickly determined that the repair was beyond my capability with a soldering iron. The guy who did it for me determined that my cart was shot and installed a new one with stylus during the repair. Overall, the repair was $80 for the new equipment, rewiring, cueing, and some new cables. I've been looking for a few days trying to figure out what the cart he installed is, as it has no identifying markings. He did mention that it is used with Rega TTs but it doesn't look like any Rega product I know of.

I'm not expecting it to be anything great and I'll probably upgrade it when I find the cash, but I really want to figure out what it is. It's a complete mystery to me.

Thanks for your input.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,447 of 3,585
  Hi guys,

I posted here a while back about a Technics SL-Q-200 turntable that I found in the basement a while back. It had some wiring and cueing issues, which I have gotten fixed (It's working great now), but I didn't get them fixed myself- I opened the TT up and quickly determined that the repair was beyond my capability with a soldering iron. The guy who did it for me determined that my cart was shot and installed a new one with stylus during the repair. Overall, the repair was $80 for the new equipment, rewiring, cueing, and some new cables. I've been looking for a few days trying to figure out what the cart he installed is, as it has no identifying markings. He did mention that it is used with Rega TTs but it doesn't look like any Rega product I know of.

I'm not expecting it to be anything great and I'll probably upgrade it when I find the cash, but I really want to figure out what it is. It's a complete mystery to me.

Thanks for your input.

It is a p-mount version of a Japanese OEM cartridge that sails under MANY "flags" - Red Ed in US, Goldring Electra ( an UK company ), Sanyo MG 29, Tonar  XY?, etc, etc.  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=395819
Appearently, good bang for the buck, as it would not have been that popular and long lived otherwise.  

But nothing to write home about either.  

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,448 of 3,585
  It is a p-mount version of a Japanese OEM cartridge that sails under MANY "flags" - Red Ed in US, Goldring Electra ( an UK company ), Sanyo MG 29, Tonar  XY?, etc, etc.  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=395819
Appearently, good bang for the buck, as it would not have been that popular and long lived otherwise.  

But nothing to write home about either.  

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,449 of 3,585
If you guys had around $1200 to build a turn table set up from the ground up (speakers, amp, etc) what would you suggest?  had a pair of beyer dynamic dt770's that I'd like to be able to plug in as well. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2,450 of 3,585
  If you guys had around $1200 to build a turn table set up from the ground up (speakers, amp, etc) what would you suggest?  had a pair of beyer dynamic dt770's that I'd like to be able to plug in as well. I am open to any and all suggestions.

If you are wanting to buy a new TT, Pro-Ject debut is a nice starting point.  They come with an installed Ortofon cartridge (Red preferably).  This is an easy TT setup.  A phono preamp to keep cost down the Pro-Ject Tube Box S.  That will total about $850, if you have a headphone amp you can go direct from the Tube Box and line in for the DT770.  If you don't have a headphone amp that's where the other $350 should go.

Speakers for $350 would require an Amp or a Receiver as well so hard to do for that price.  If headphone setup via TT is the important part, it is for me, the quality of the cartridge and preamp and headphone amp are important, the DT770's will sound nice with the above setup.  

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,451 of 3,585

How about this?

Turntable AND phono preamp = Music Hall USB-1 (includes phono preamp/USB connection/cartridge)  rated Class D in Stereophile  $249 complete

Amplifier = NAD C 316BEE includes headphone jack (low impedance phones should work just fine)  rated Class C in Stereophile  $379

Speakers = Many "bookshelf" speakers (stand mounted) in the $300 range and below, for ex. Pioneer SP-BS22-LR rated Class D in Stereophile  $130 but can be found for less

Total = $620 (or less) and use the rest to buy rekkids.

Leaves money left over for speaker stands/cables/record cleaning stuff/tax

You're welcome.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,452 of 3,585
I definitely am fine buying used however as I am a total noob to turn tables and non computer audio in general I am worried about buying this stuff on ebay without really knowing what to look for. I do have a custom built amp (misterx) for the cans already so it isn't a huge concern. I mostly want to run this with speakers and I am missing a stereo in any way shape or form at my current apartment.

I was thinking something like this.

Epos ELS3 loudpeakers, $399/pair

The turntable you suggested seems like a strong option to this
Rega P1 turntable, improved by LP Gear, $395

Someone suggested this as well but I'm not sure.

Harman Kardon HK3385 stereo receiver, $200

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,453 of 3,585
  If you are wanting to buy a new TT, Pro-Ject debut is a nice starting point.  They come with an installed Ortofon cartridge (Red preferably).  This is an easy TT setup.  A phono preamp to keep cost down the Pro-Ject Tube Box S.  That will total about $850, if you have a headphone amp you can go direct from the Tube Box and line in for the DT770.  If you don't have a headphone amp that's where the other $350 should go.

Speakers for $350 would require an Amp or a Receiver as well so hard to do for that price.  If headphone setup via TT is the important part, it is for me, the quality of the cartridge and preamp and headphone amp are important, the DT770's will sound nice with the above setup.  

How about this?

Turntable AND phono preamp = Music Hall USB-1 (includes phono preamp/USB connection/cartridge)  rated Class D in Stereophile  $249 complete

Amplifier = NAD C 316BEE includes headphone jack (low impedance phones should work just fine)  rated Class C in Stereophile  $379

Speakers = Many "bookshelf" speakers (stand mounted) in the $300 range and below, for ex. Pioneer SP-BS22-LR rated Class D in Stereophile  $130 but can be found for less

Total = $620 (or less) and use the rest to buy rekkids.

Leaves money left over for speaker stands/cables/record cleaning stuff/tax

You're welcome.
regular_smile%20.gif

I really like these options actually and hadn't really thought about it much. I think they are both super strong options for a total vinyl noob. Thanks. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #2,456 of 3,585
  That is a really good point clean well mastered albums just sound so much better, than beat up old LP's.

True.

BUT - in order for the new clean well mastered LPs not to join the ranks of beat up old LPs preamaturely, equipment has to be of high enough quality. It can never be too high - but it does not make much sense grinding say $ 40 new LPs on comparatively priced cartridges either. 

That might seem harsh to a newbie. I have been there - and although people seldom learn on other than their own mistakes , you can trust me on this one.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #2,457 of 3,585

That is a really good point clean well mastered albums just sound so much better, than beat up old LP's.

True.

BUT - in order for the new clean well mastered LPs not to join the ranks of beat up old LPs preamaturely, equipment has to be of high enough quality. It can never be too high - but it does not make much sense grinding say $ 40 new LPs on comparatively priced cartridges either. 

That might seem harsh to a newbie. I have been there - and although people seldom learn on other than their own mistakes , you can trust me on this one.

In your humble opinion, what is the very least a nooby should spend?

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,459 of 3,585
  In your humble opinion, what is the very least a nooby should spend?

By the way that's a pretty fine TT setup you have there 
wink_face.gif

From someone who came out of a childhood and adolescence using a cheap Pioneer TT and a low end AT cart my old LP's are rather worn down.
Setup was done visually, tracking and counterweight were titrated by feel and sound, no one I knew used a protractor, I think that was as big of a problem as the cheap cart.

Here is a summation of my latest journey into TT land.  Starting with the Pro-Ject Debut ($399 at the time) with a Ortofon OM 5E cart ($50 if bought alone) and moving to a super OM 20 ($250+ equivalent to a 2M Blue) was a 20% upgrade in sound quality. 

Moving to a Technics 1200 MK2 late model 2003 (used but near mint $600) and a Denon 103R cart ($370+) is another 20% upgrade from the above setup.  At this level the quality of the sound with clean vinyl is as good as my digital 24/96 downloads from HDTracks and so much better than CD's.

I have no doubt that moving up to a >$2,000 TT setup and above would incrementally improve sound 10% maybe and >$5,000 maybe 10% more. 

Cost is relative to sound given all other audio elements remain constant.

For a nooby I would start on the low end of QUALITY and move up, I agree with Bbophead the Music Hall is a nice entry TT, an easy setup as an entry TT is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back