TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,326 of 3,585

What's the difference between the 103 and 103R?

Higher frequency response and bass, basically an updated version of the 103.  I'm currently using the Technics headshell, but some of the guys on vinylengine recommend a heavier headshell paired with additional balance weight.  I'm happy with the sound as is.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,327 of 3,585
  Okay, I finally decided that I was okay with not getting something absolutely epic and went with a Rega P3-24 with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Sounds pretty nice right now just running through my wa-22 if not a bit too quiet.  I still have to go through the calibration process though.

I assume you have a phono preamp running between the Dynavector and the WA-22, right?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2,331 of 3,585
Haha, I am not. I had read that you could get away with just running it through a head amp, but I guess that's only true in the most literal sense. I'll have to look into a quality pre-amp now I suppose.

A pre-amp levels out the RIAA curve, so you really need one to enjoy your records as they should be enjoyed.

RIAA curve: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2,332 of 3,585

I assume you have a phono preamp running between the Dynavector and the WA-22, right?

Haha, I am not. I had read that you could get away with just running it through a head amp, but I guess that's only true in the most literal sense. I'll have to look into a quality pre-amp now I suppose.

Any phono preamp, starting at about $100, is better than none.  I use the el cheapo NAD PP2i.  You will notice a huge improvement.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #2,333 of 3,585

That's a pretty rookie mistake for someone with such high-end stuff. 

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-S-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=36638

Any phono preamp, starting at about $100, is better than none.  I use the el cheapo NAD PP2i.  You will notice a huge improvement.

I stand by my TC-750 (de-branded Rek-O-Cut archival). That being said not much more and you can get a better preamp.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,334 of 3,585

Just for general purpose clarity, one CANNOT get away without a phono stage. It's not just about levels, although that matters a lot, as was mentioned, without the RIAA EQ that a phono stage has, there is absolutely no point in playing records at all, because they will sound horrible.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,336 of 3,585
  Thanks guys for the pre-amp recs. Much appreciated. And yeah, I tend to start off with higher end stuff because those I will for sure stick with in the long run and it in effect saves me some money.

I had the Aesthetix Calypso at one time which incorporated much of the Rhea.  Check it out.  Changing settings via the remote is mighty useful.

http://www.aesthetix.net/rhea.php

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #2,337 of 3,585
Question for the crew here:

I have an unbalanced phono stage-- Clearaudio Basic + with battery power supply.  I want to push the signal to my Genelec balanced/amped speakers.  

I have an ART Cleanbox Pro, which will do the trick.  But if I wanted to go a different route-- the Cleanbox left and right channels need to be adjusted separately-- it would be nice to have one knob, and I'm sure it's not the best component to push a signal through.  

Any suggestions?  A bit tricky because the signal needs to stay at a line level, but balanced.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,338 of 3,585
Your best bet will be a balanced preamp. Something like the Audio Gd NFB-6 balanced pre-amp/headphone amp would actually work nicely and I've seen them under $400 used, including one right now on Audiogon (no affiliation and I cannot vouch for seller!) There is another one there for $400 I saw on a quick check but I've not heard of the brand. There are better balanced preamps of course but they cost more.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,339 of 3,585
My 2nd technics SL-7 arrived this evening.

It was in almost perfect condition, but the tonearm motor needed a kickstart.

While opening the tonearm encasing, i accidentily broke the tonearm belt.
It took me about 2.5 hours but i fixed it with mint scented dental floss.

also really happy to finally have my SL-7 on it's feet.

And now i can finally listen to my records from the comfort of my bed again :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2,340 of 3,585
My 2nd technics SL-7 arrived this evening.

It was in almost perfect condition, but the tonearm motor needed a kickstart.

While opening the tonearm encasing, i accidentily broke the tonearm belt.
It took me about 2.5 hours but i fixed it with mint scented dental floss.

also really happy to finally have my SL-7 on it's feet.

And now i can finally listen to my records from the comfort of my bed again
smily_headphones1.gif

Pics or it didn't happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back