TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,297 of 3,585
What a leap 
tongue_smile.gif
... congrats!

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,298 of 3,585
You should look here...some nice choices in your budget...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Turntables/products/78/

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,299 of 3,585

Nice... I've got the same VSX-821/45B combo in my bedroom. Spikes on the 45B made a difference (looks cool too :cool: )

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dss3-sn-satin-nickel-speaker-spike-set-4-pcs--240-678

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,300 of 3,585
These rubber standoffs from Lowes improved the bass response, that's cool.

Okay now for non crapposts. This setup is currently treble-heavy with a music hall echo, maybe it was like that but the way it was covered it up. How do I get a more neutral sound without the echo?

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2,301 of 3,585
  Alright I'm going to toss this question out here (slightly tipsy so just ignore if I'm in the wrong thread).

Been looking to get a vinyl setup but I'm inexperienced.  So over the past few months I've done some reading and looked around the web at what people tables seem to think are quality.  Some of the belt driven tables are really gorgeous but I get the impression that a decent direct drive table is less hassle (??? maybe?).

The two that stuck out and appealed to me as solid long term options were:

-VPI classic:  seems like a really solid table but I don't want to fork over that price tag just starting out.
  -Technics sl1200mk2: which is no longer in production, and prices are all over the place.  Also apparently its kind of dicey on the used market because they can be kind of abused DJ tables?

So I guess my first question is; Does Technics currently have any comparable direct drive tables to the sl1200mk2 currently in production? Or what would be a good direct drive option under 1k if there are any? They seem to have a reputation as a solid workhorse, which appeals to me before I start fiddling with things.

Was kind of thinking something in that 1k or less price range to get started before I just jump into (what I consider) the deep end of multiple thousands of dollars gear. 

In the first year of getting back into vinyl, I started out buying a use Dual CS 455 to get my feet wet, but it got destroyed in shipping and I never got to hear it so in the following months I had:

1. Pro-Ject  Debut Carbon
2. Pro-Ject  Xpression III
3. Music Hall MMF-5
4. Rega P3-24
5. Music Hall MMF-7

Out of the those five I found the MMF-7 to be the most musical.  Then the right deal came along for a Marantz TT15-S1 and that stayed in my system for a whole year (which for me says a lot!)  I have nothing but good things to say about it and given the cartridge it comes with, you really can't do much better for the price.  If your patient,  you can get a factory refurb/B-stock and they package them with new sealed cartridges.    They can be purchased for around 1K which is right in your price range.

I basically told myself that I would have to hold on to the Marantz until I had enough vinyl to justify a more expensive table.    I have a VPI Scout now and would love a Classic but there is more to buying a Classic than just the price of the table, I would need to upgrade from my Grado Sonata so there is another 1-2K.  I would probably need a better phono preamp so another 2K, better interconnects, etc.... You see where this is going.  I full Classic upgrade put's me around $6500.

The Marantz hits such a sweet spot in price vs performance, I just find it hard to beat.    And after owning the Chech built turntables from Pro-Ject and Music Hall, the Marantz is leaps and bounds better engineered and built as it's made for Marantz by Clearaudio and is basically a pimped out Clearaudio Emotion.

If you're not in a hurry, Emotiva is supposedly launching a turntable in the next few months.  The first prototype looked to be a Clearaudio but I believe they ended up going another route.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/608773/thread

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,302 of 3,585
  It is not that intimidating. I merely wanted to warn everyone not to do the biggest error - destroying records with the first setup, which usually does not get very high in inherent quality due to costs involved AND the inability to adjust the TT at least well enough not to threaten permanent record damage.

For the basic setup, all you need is a decent test record, like http://www.vinylengine.com/hfn-002-test-lp.shtml . It even has protractor (on paper ) included.  This should allow you to align the cartridge correctly.  You can forget the stylus tracking force gauge, unless your planned tonearm does not have counterweight calibrated in any way ( not common in entry level , but increasingly so the higher up one goes ) - it does not matter if your stylus tracks at exactly say 1.5 gram VTF ( 15 mN to be exact ) - or 1.68 as measured with the most precise gauge available; what does matter is that it tracks the test record with appropriate setting for the antiskating and that the vertical tracking force is within or a bit (say less than 10 % ) above the manufacturerr's recommended range.

I said some unpleasent things about the above mentioned record; they apply only in absolute terms, it is perfectly adequate for adjusting the TT so that it will not threaten permanent damage to your records and producing high quality of reproduction.

If you take your time and read trough the entire thread, there are good advices on buying the actual hardware - although it can never be cheap, it is possible to assemble a decent turntable with moderate investment.

Yeah, I just had a moment of frustration because I came in hoping this would be something no more complicated than buying the right components, piecing and plugging them together and then it's good to go. But I'm no longer flustered and am ready to start doing more research. I'd really like to get a Rega table. Guess I'll start looking through this topic. It's a long one!

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,303 of 3,585

Yeah, I just had a moment of frustration because I came in hoping this would be something no more complicated than buying the right components, piecing and plugging them together and then it's good to go. But I'm no longer flustered and am ready to start doing more research. I'd really like to get a Rega table. Guess I'll start looking through this topic. It's a long one!

Love my RP6.  There's nothing much simpler than a Rega, especially if you have a dealer to install a different cartridge (recommended).

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2,304 of 3,585
So what's the consensus on the big 3? (Rega RP1, Project Debut Carbon, Music Hall MMF 2.2)

I'm casually considering selling my SL-1500 (beautiful condition, make an offer) and getting one of them.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,305 of 3,585
Mar 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,306 of 3,585
  So what's the consensus on the big 3? (Rega RP1, Project Debut Carbon, Music Hall MMF 2.2)

I'm casually considering selling my SL-1500 (beautiful condition, make an offer) and getting one of them.

Beach Audio has a used/open-box Music Hall MMF5.1 on their ebay site for $449 shipped, act fast.  It's covered under their return policy for 30 days and IMHO a step up from all three listed.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2,308 of 3,585
  That Dosley guy sure has good "nose" for bargains - well done , Sir. 

It's my addiction.  Instead of Facebook or Twitter, I scour Craigslist, eBay, Audiogon, Deal sites, etc.....I've found some great bargains but I've also spent way more than I should because of finding a "great deal".

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2,309 of 3,585

It's my addiction.  Instead of Facebook or Twitter, I scour Craigslist, eBay, Audiogon, Deal sites, etc.....I've found sound great bargains but I've also spent way more than I should because of finding a "great deal".

Sounds all too familiar - particularly the spending bit...!

Over here, the sites may differ, but "The Point Remains The Same".

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,310 of 3,585

Beach Audio has a used/open-box Music Hall MMF5.1 on their ebay site for $449 shipped, act fast.  It's covered under their return policy for 30 days and IMHO a step up from all three listed.

missed it, damn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back