TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Feb 11, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #2,266 of 3,585
  AS...I have always just left them but I am sure that is a good idea. I never kept them long enough to worry about it...LOL. I would buy a poor misfit (like on ebay), fix it, play with it and then sell it to someone who needed one. Usually for a loss...but I had fun on the projects...

Longest I kept one was probably 6 months for a Dual 721 I restored and a bit longer on a table I built from scratch (NOW THAT was fun...and easy)

Any suggestions on the layering ? You know what would be cool ! Acrylic dipped...would also cut any resonance, yes ?

I have a friend who lives in a very moisture affected basement. He would probably make good living for letting the manufacturers to long term test the longeivity of their products in extremely hostile enviroments ( ie his place ) LOL ! After a year...- you get the picture.

Acrylic (or anything else dipped) would result in an uniform layer, not only it would look awful, it would be detrimental to performance, for a very marginal effect in cutting the resonance.It would result looking pretty much like this (only far less yummy) :

This cake is so good that Prince William chose it as his groom's cake for the royal wedding. 

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/food/Chocolate-Biscuit-Cake-Recipe#ixzz2t05bXjHe

Other materials than acrylic, applied differently than by dipping, are used for that - every now and then, guys and gals from NASA do come up with something that DOES work well and is useful
not only in space...

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #2,267 of 3,585
ph34r.gif

Now I'm prematurely hungry before breakfast...

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,269 of 3,585
aww yeah! just outbid 26 people for yet another Technics SL-7, but this one comes with the "feet" included.
Set my alarm just so i could bid XD.

Nighty night.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,271 of 3,585
aww yeah! just outbid 26 people for yet another Technics SL-7, but this one comes with the "feet" included.
Set my alarm just so i could bid XD.

Nighty night.

i was watching that one. never seen one with the feet.
:beerchug:

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,272 of 3,585
i was watching that one. never seen one with the feet.
:beerchug:

Hmm, yeah. That's why i was so set on getting it. The turntable itself might actually be broken, but i just really wanted the feet.

i hope i'll be able to get it to work, because i only have a suitcase TT in my room right now, and this one would be perfect.

I hope you weren't a bidding party, if you were, my apologies. I hope you'll find a 2nd one for a better price :beerchug:

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,274 of 3,585
Hmm, yeah. That's why i was so set on getting it. The turntable itself might actually be broken, but i just really wanted the feet.

i hope i'll be able to get it to work, because i only have a suitcase TT in my room right now, and this one would be perfect.

I hope you weren't a bidding party, if you were, my apologies. I hope you'll find a 2nd one for a better price :beerchug:

I didn't bid. I'm just price watching for now. I have a Realistic LAB-2200 linear tracker in great shape that I've been pleasantly surprised with. I'm planning to give it to my friends daughter when I find something else. Good luck getting it going. Hopefully it just needs cleaning and lubricating.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,275 of 3,585
I really want to get a turntable but reading that opening post on how to set it up is very intimidating. =\ I really don't think I have the technical prowess to do all that accurately on my own. *sigh* That being said, I still need to get a turntable set up of my own. Maybe I'll get something basic that I know I can figure out...

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #2,276 of 3,585
  I really want to get a turntable but reading that opening post on how to set it up is very intimidating. =\ I really don't think I have the technical prowess to do all that accurately on my own. *sigh* That being said, I still need to get a turntable set up of my own. Maybe I'll get something basic that I know I can figure out...

It is not that intimidating. I merely wanted to warn everyone not to do the biggest error - destroying records with the first setup, which usually does not get very high in inherent quality due to costs involved AND the inability to adjust the TT at least well enough not to threaten permanent record damage.

For the basic setup, all you need is a decent test record, like http://www.vinylengine.com/hfn-002-test-lp.shtml . It even has protractor (on paper ) included.  This should allow you to align the cartridge correctly.  You can forget the stylus tracking force gauge, unless your planned tonearm does not have counterweight calibrated in any way ( not common in entry level , but increasingly so the higher up one goes ) - it does not matter if your stylus tracks at exactly say 1.5 gram VTF ( 15 mN to be exact ) - or 1.68 as measured with the most precise gauge available; what does matter is that it tracks the test record with appropriate setting for the antiskating and that the vertical tracking force is within or a bit (say less than 10 % ) above the manufacturerr's recommended range.

I said some unpleasent things about the above mentioned record; they apply only in absolute terms, it is perfectly adequate for adjusting the TT so that it will not threaten permanent damage to your records and producing high quality of reproduction.

If you take your time and read trough the entire thread, there are good advices on buying the actual hardware - although it can never be cheap, it is possible to assemble a decent turntable with moderate investment.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,277 of 3,585
I went to a friend's vinly records and turntable gallery and I feel so stressed at how the turntables are treated. None of them received proper setup and aren't calibrated well. I sold him my turntable because I trusted his experience since he's quite an old guy with kids, but then when I arrived there I was so heartbroken seeing that he pulled out the headshell with the 440MLa and plugged it to a different turntable without even realigning the cart with the turntable. Also that other turntable has waaaayyy to low of a VTA since it's not adjustable and the cart body is dangerously near to scratch the vinyl.

Also he superglued the antiskate pendulum from my turntable to the antiskate scale. He said that it was loose.
:frowning2:

He has thousands of vinyl records and more importantly rare records but he's not taking proper care on the turntables it's so frustrating to even think about it. I'm on a 3 month holiday, I plan to volunteer and be the maintenance guy there. I don't mind no payment, I just want to rectify stuff.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #2,278 of 3,585
  I went to a friend's vinly records and turntable gallery and I feel so stressed at how the turntables are treated. None of them received proper setup and aren't calibrated well. I sold him my turntable because I trusted his experience since he's quite an old guy with kids, but then when I arrived there I was so heartbroken seeing that he pulled out the headshell with the 440MLa and plugged it to a different turntable without even realigning the cart with the turntable. Also that other turntable has waaaayyy to low of a VTA since it's not adjustable and the cart body is dangerously near to scratch the vinyl.

Also he superglued the antiskate pendulum from my turntable to the antiskate scale. He said that it was loose.
:frowning2:

He has thousands of vinyl records and more importantly rare records but he's not taking proper care on the turntables it's so frustrating to even think about it. I'm on a 3 month holiday, I plan to volunteer and be the maintenance guy there. I don't mind no payment, I just want to rectify stuff.

Real world ... - for some weird reason, people with the rarest/most valuable records are destroying them with so poorly adjusted TTs, on the other hand, there are guys with six figure in $ tables - with about six audiophile albums to play.

Try your best - I wish you the best in enlightening your friend.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #2,279 of 3,585

Never, EVER buy one of those things. Throw it out for the love of god

I really like it, in fact, i have 7 suitcase TTs. The only one i use d to use is the Philips 22GF110. I know it might ruin my records though, so i don't use it anymore.

I didn't bid. I'm just price watching for now. I have a Realistic LAB-2200 linear tracker in great shape that I've been pleasantly surprised with. I'm planning to give it to my friends daughter when I find something else. Good luck getting it going. Hopefully it just needs cleaning and lubricating.

Chances are the motor just needs a kickstart, or the wire needs realigning. We'll see in a few weeks.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #2,280 of 3,585
I really like it, in fact, i have 7 suitcase TTs. The only one i use d to use is the Philips 22GF110. I know it might ruin my records though, so i don't use it anymore.
Chances are the motor just needs a kickstart, or the wire needs realigning. We'll see in a few weeks.

Not so easy, I am afraid. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-7.shtml

No rocket science, in general it is the belt, poor contacts and capacitors that gave up the ghost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back