TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2,011 of 3,585
Honestly I haven't heard a lot of amps in that price range. So I cannot possibly say "it's the best". I can only tell you I liked the Lyr and the Audeze pairing.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2,012 of 3,585
  @bbophead, I already grounded my turntable to my phonostage as in the grounding wires are attached however I just realised that the mains connector on my turntable does not have a earth wire pin ...if you use a UK pin that means the top one is missing, basically I'm dealing with a euro plug. Is the mains only for the motor or might it account for why it is not grounded. And this humming issue only seems to creep up when I turn up the volume on my headphones it was literally non-existent on my other pair T70's which I am assuming are easier to drive. 

Sorry, can't help you there although it still sounds like a grounding problem.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,015 of 3,585
I'm actually quite enjoying my Audeze's through the new Schiit Vali.  They sound sweet though that $120 wonder.  This is from my XMas gift...a Pro-Ject Debut III.  The tiny bit of added warmth from the Vali helps tame the bright OM5e cartridge.

Yes, the Lyr is better, but only of you spend another $50-$100 getting better tubes that the stock ones. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2,016 of 3,585
Question...I am getting a fair amount of distortion when playing the innermost tracks.  I understand this is a common issue. but is there anything that I can do to help offset it?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,017 of 3,585
  Question...I am getting a fair amount of distortion when playing the innermost tracks.  I understand this is a common issue. but is there anything that I can do to help offset it?

Yes, it is called IGD (inner groove distortion) and it is related to tonearm/cartridge setup.

watch my video for a tutorial. Yes, we can answer here, do this do that...but as I have spoken to numerous people, the SHOW ME works best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnskL8Pe6fk&feature=player_embedded

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,018 of 3,585
Yup...you need to spend some time with an alignment protractor. I like the Mobile Fidelity geoDisc myself as it's very, very easy to use.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,019 of 3,585
My Hi Fi News test lp (Directors cut) came with an alignment protractor printed on a card disc which had three different alignment methods. printed on it.

It might not be as good as some of the more expensive ones available but it did give me a start on the road to correctly setting up.

new_protr_med.jpg

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,020 of 3,585
Jamie is right, you are going to need a protractor. You can get free ones to print out here
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

Just print the one called Stupid Protractor

You should still watch my video to tell you how to use it. It is NOT intuitive and I will tell you this, you have to move the platter at each null point or you will drive yourself nuts thinking both points will line up without moving in place...it is physically impossible...LOl

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #2,021 of 3,585
Yup...you need to spend some time with an alignment protractor. I like the Mobile Fidelity geoDisc myself as it's very, very easy to use.

I like the Geodisc, as well. It's my go-to tool for setting overhang. Takes very little time. I, then, prefer to use a mirrored multi-point protractor for the rest. This isn't to say that a good alignment can't be done with the Geo. It most certainly can, especially when dealing with a fairly decent sample of a given cartridge.

Edit: typo

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2,022 of 3,585
I like the Geodisc, as well. It's my go-to tool for setting overhang. Takes very little time. I, then, prefer to use a mirrored multi-point protractor for the rest. This isn't to say that a good alignment can't be done with the Geo. It most certainly can, especially when dealing with a fairly decent sample of a given cartridge.

Edit: typo

I would agree except two things
1) you still wind up using a protractor
2) For the same $50 you can get a custom ARC protractor that is designed for your table..and nothing is easier than that for a beginner....
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,023 of 3,585
I would agree except two things
1) you still wind up using a protractor

I'm not sure I understand. There's always a protractor involved.

2) For the same $50 you can get a custom ARC protractor that is designed for your table..and nothing is easier than that for a beginner....:D

$50? That's, what, a dinner for 2? I have custom protractors and I'm not a beginner lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,024 of 3,585
I'm not sure I understand. There's always a protractor involved.
$50? That's, what, a dinner for 2? I have custom protractors and I'm not a beginner lol

LOL..I didn't mean you !

Yes, there is always a protractor but then you said you use another.

For a new person to alignment they can learn to use a two point protractor or take the arc protractor shortcut

SPin that vinyl !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back