Turntable Question
May 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
I have an older Thorens turntable, circa 1980's-1990's, which has been up in the attic for years.

If I get it out and set it up with a 2009 headphone amp, can I plug it straight into the amp?

I recall that receivers had a particular 'phono' input...plugging it into anything else wouldn't work

Would I need a phono pre-amp before I could hook the TT into an amp like the Compass?

Thanks

May 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 9
The short answer is yes, you will need a phono pre-amp.

The level of pre-amplification will depend on whether you are running a moving magnet (MM) (most common) or moving coil (MC) cartridge. MM cartridges require less preamplification than MCs. Some pre-amps will take both but most common phono pre-amps are designed for MM cartridges.

Hope that helps.

May 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The short answer is yes, you will need a phono pre-amp.

The level of pre-amplification will depend on whether you are running a moving magnet (MM) (most common) or moving coil (MC) cartridge. MM cartridges require less preamplification than MCs. Some pre-amps will take both but most common phono pre-amps are designed for MM cartridges.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I appreciate the info!

May 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Yep, you need to pick up a phono stage. There are many available at all sorts of prices - just ask here if you need recommendations.

Also, you should visit the Vinyl Engine and download the manual and service notes for your deck. Change the belt, change the bearing oil, and anything else recommended, too. You might also be interested in a new cartridge - modern ones tend to be much better.

Anyhow, good luck and post some pics when you have it up and running.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 9
The signal from the cartridge mm/mc has the bass taken out to reduce surface noise. A phono stage replaces the bass. You also need more amplification to get to line level. A used turntable needs alot of adjustments due to entropy to get it back to sounding right. http://www.vandenhul.com/userfiles/d...stem_setup.pdf

May 22, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The signal from the cartridge mm/mc has the bass taken out to reduce surface noise. A phono stage replaces the bass. You also need more amplification to get to line level. A used turntable needs alot of adjustments due to entropy to get it back to sounding right. http://www.vandenhul.com/userfiles/d...stem_setup.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, you need to pick up a phono stage. There are many available at all sorts of prices - just ask here if you need recommendations.

Also, you should visit the Vinyl Engine and download the manual and service notes for your deck. Change the belt, change the bearing oil, and anything else recommended, too. You might also be interested in a new cartridge - modern ones tend to be much better.

Anyhow, good luck and post some pics when you have it up and running.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks very much. Yes, great advice.

The TT was pretty good, although definitely mid-range in the Thorens line. I agree that any component with belts, cartidges and so on would be due for a reconditioning 20 years after being put in storage! Thanks for the links.

And yes, I'll look into the phono stage. Great idea.

Frankly, I jumped on the digital bandwagon full force when it rolled out....bought the first Sony CD player, and first Sony portable CD player in 1984.

But I miss vinyl. Thanks for showing me how to get back there!

May 22, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The signal from the cartridge mm/mc has the bass taken out to reduce surface noise.

It's the pressing which has the bass summed to mono, because we don't hear bass in stereo, and eq'd to fit more on the vinyl as low frequncies take up more physical space. The RIAA eq curve, standard on most recordings since the late 1950s, is hard wired into the phono stage decodes this and steps up the signal to line level.

May 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 9
The RIAA curve has both a bass cut and a treble boost when the lp is made, and the phono stage must supply the exact inverse in the form of bass boost and treble cut, along with a lot of gain.

It takes some effort to do both well, with tight tolerances for the RIAA curve, close channel matching, and high gain without noise and interference. It's as much or more about the implementation as the circuit design. This goes a long way toward explaining why there is a large range of pricing for phono preamps.

If you have other questions, you can contact me directly, and I will do my best to answer them for you.

best regards,

Mark

May 22, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back